Offensive Recruits Meyer Era

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Wormwood56, Oct 31, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    yes...but other than being a Leghumper I get along just fine with him.
  2. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    Lol. Uga''s version of smittybuck.
  3. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Nah, that was Dunwoody Dan who has since been banned. ODD, ALM and Jenner are OK. Flux2 Flux and one or two others are real jackholes though. The sows on that board - and in their case its half of them - are a worse than the leghumpers by a mile.
  4. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Pitches weren't mostly gone. Check the film clips and see how we used Harvin. Most of those other plays you listed there were nothing more than occasional plays. The success of Harvin was based on very simple dive plays and runs to the outside. And then we threw passes to him. It was always predictable. No one just could stop him.

Once Harvin left we had no good RBs and it hurt us. Demps and Rainey were change of pace RBs that became starters and it hurt us. Demps and Rainey could not run well inside against any defense with a pulse. All they could do is run to the outside and that usually doesn't work well against decent defenses. Defenses did not have to worry about where Harvin was lining up. We had no one who could run well between the tackles aside from Tebow.

At no point was I ever impressed by the playcalling under Meyer here at UF. I always found it predictable from 05-10 and I am not alone. Then I watched AU in 2010 and I saw real spread playcalling which was great. I can only imagine what Gus could have done calling the plays for UF between 07-09.
  5. RemainCalm

RemainCalm Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +291
    Yeah the clown college trolls have made that sight almost unbearable. Not to mention the bazillion bama fans.

I forgot about dunwoody. Jenner isn't bad.
  6. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Thanks I was looking for that.

[​IMG]

This does not just get created for no reason.
  7. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Unfortunately that's what happens when you have a first time HC (learning on the job). I was alarmed at our lack of OL in that class. The staff has since learned which is why they have offered a bunch of OL recently in the past 2 weeks.
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    ...and tried to patch it up with transfers. They realized they screwed up.
  9. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Yes, they were. It was my primary complaint in 2009 and what I attributed to failure to move the ball on the option.
  10. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +818
    They tried it with Rainey and Demps. They did all sorts of ways but since Rainey and Demps would not run well inside all of their runs were to the outside. This is why many were screaming for Gillislee to start. Rainey and Demps were not starting caliber SEC backs.
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,782
    Rainey was a starting sec caliber back. The Oline was terrible
  12. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    I don't think he was suited to the offense UF was attempting to run. Demps between the tackles... He looked more like a slot/wing back to me
  13. SECund2nun

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Rainey fell down the instant when someone touched him. He had no ability to run between the tackles. He was a change of pace back.
  14. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    Nobody is doggin' Cooper, Nelson or Thompson. It's not "doggin" Cooper to say that he was a good college receiver. That's what he was. And regardless of whether or not all three of the receivers (Coop, Nelson and Thompson) made NFL rosters, think about this: neither Thompson or Nelson could be put in the same breath as a Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Jaquez Green, Chad Jackson, Dallas Baker, or even Travis McGriff. And you know that.

Also, none of the three you mentioned are tearing it up right now in the league. A big grab every three or four weeks that you see on NFL countdown isn't tearing it up.

Every staff has players who don't buy in, don't want to work, can't seem to grasp playbooks, whatever. But Meyer seemed to have an unusual amount of skill position players, who came in with all the hype, and just didn't get it. For whatever reason, it wasn't happening. I'm not even going to begin to speculate why, but Meyer knew it was starting to unravel during the 2010 season and he didn't want to man up and go forward. And that's fine; Florida is an extremely difficult place to coach at.

Muschamp's big mistake was hiring Weiss. That was a horrible hire, and THAT has proved to be problematic up to this point. But he went out and got somebody who's going to show people on this board what he can do when he's got the right pieces in place-if he decides to stick it out. But right now, Pease is trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh....
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    They really didn't. The counter and pitch were awol. The calls in 2009 were for Moody, not Gillislee.
  16. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Did they suddenly become NFL quality receivers once they left UF? Did you ever consider they could have been more productive if we didn't give our big three the majority of touches? And who said any of them are tearing up the NFL? I think two are starters which is pretty damn good though. Look, I'm not here to debate how receivers from different offensive systems compare to each other. However, to claim Meyer's recruiting was poor on the offensive side of the ball is patently false as demonstrated by NFL talent, recruiting rankings, and offensive production. As I said before, there were holes and disappointments in some later classes contributing to or current woes.

As for Pease, the jury is still out on him. As an OC he's had horrid offenses at Baylor and UF, above average at Kentucky, and one stellar season with an NFL QB and RB in a weak conference. I am rooting for him as I don't know how Champ could bring in a sure fire prospect at this point in his tenure.
  17. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    cooper, nelson, and thompson had crappy qbs throwing to them.
  18. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    Cooper and Nelson only caught balls from Tebow. Tebow is a crappy qb?
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    You're not going to get very far with that argument since Tebow was a very good college QB/battering ram. There is no doubt our offense during Tebow's time featured a lot of runs, and short throws and pitches designed to put the ball into AHern and Harvin's hands though.
  20. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    I really don't know. But I do know that Thompson and Nelson were average college receivers. They had their moments but, like other recruits that Meyer brought in at the skill positions, they weren't quite what we thought they would be. And that was the point that I've made over and over again throughout this thread.

I never used the word "poor" to describe Meyer's offensive recruiting; I implied that the running backs and receivers he brought in didn't do a whole lot. I think he did a poor job of evaluating personnel at those positions, and that's backed up by the number of transfers, arrests, and holes throughout this roster we've seen for the last few years. I challenge you to go down the list of players from Meyer's classes who, AGAIN, were not what scouts and Gators thought they would be. There are a lot of busts.

Meyer brought in great players. We may never see another Tim Tebow or Percy Harvin in Gainesville. He brought in very talented defenders, and did a solid job of finding offensive linemen, although the last two lines under Meyer were hardly great. But his "dot.com" approach to recruiting, along with a half-assed effort to determine whether or not a lot of those guys were a good fit for Florida really hurt us. I think he used the word "broken" to give us a better idea of what the new staff was going to have to clean up. And that's what's in the process of happening. Oh, and they won eleven games last year with a team that shouldn't have won eleven games.

As for Pease? Here's the 400-thousand dollar question: If he was such a mediocre hire, why did the most brilliant mind in all of college football want him in Tuscaloosa? You don't think Saban can identify a good mind when he sees it? Are people really questioning that man's eyeballs?