Offensive Recruits Meyer Era

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Wormwood56, Oct 31, 2013.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,848
    You need to back up a step. Even though this year's line should be practically nothing but Meyer players from 2009 thru 2011 classes, we have three guys playing from Champ's 2012 class (I'm including transfers)... one of them playing a year early and 30lbs or so light because of the gaping hole left in prior classes. And a fourth would be playing if Dunker didn't get dismissed. And we have a 2013 recruit playing now (Brown).

Next year, we'll certainly expect at least a couple of 2013 recruits to step up, hopefully get Green back healthy, and maybe get lucky with an outrageous stud OL in the 2014 class who's ready to play as a true frosh, somebody like Sharpe. Or a JuCo?

But make no mistake... 2010 and 2011 are kiliing us. And will probably impact us next year too. Hopefully we get much better luck with injuries next year.
  2. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    we were light on OL in 2010 and 2011. Green's injury hurts as he was a starter in his prime from those classes.

Of course the fact that we had only signed 4 guys in two years when 2012 rolled around should have set off all kinds of alarm bells with the staff that they needed to sign a whole bunch of OL to make up fo that. So we signed........two OL in 2012.

Then Patchan was "encouaged" to leave and Dunker was tossed out for the scooter affair, Green got injured and now we are where we are.
  3. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    The majority of the 2006 championship team was made up of Zook's players. We don't win the title without contributions from Tebow and Harvin, but most of the key players were ones that Zook brought in.

Aside from what the numbers say regarding UF's recruiting, I think a lot of Gator fans got caught up in what Meyer was saying about being the "fastest team in America". And with Brandon James giving the return game some pop, and a big play here and there provided by a Louis Murphy/Jeff Demps/whoever, it was easy to overlook just how good the offensive line was during those two title runs and, ultimately, how much the efforts of Tebow and Harvin opened up the offense for others to make big plays.

We recruited a lot of fast athletes while Meyer was there, and a lot of those guys either never worked out, or just never were quite what we thought they'd be. You look at guys like Jarred Fayson, Deonte Thompson, Chris Dunkley, Andre Debose, Carl Moore, and a lot of the receivers Meyer brought in after that '06 class. Not one of them really lived up to what the services were saying about them. Only Riley Cooper seemed to really come on, and I wouldn't say that he was as dangerous all-around as guys like Bubba Caldwell, Dallas Baker and Chad Jackson. Riley was a good college receiver; nothing more.

Demps and Rainey were guys who were meant to give an offense 10-12 touches a game and, even though they worked together, they never seemed to be much of a factor against the better defenses they played against. Florida seemed to lose a lot of skill position players that Meyer recruited for various reasons. Who knows why guys like Bo Williams, Chevon Walker, and Mon Williams never caught on.

So, you look at the attrition, all the character issues, poor personnel evaluation on Meyer's part to bring in guys who were really willing to work and be team players for the Gators, what that staff allowed to slide with all the accusation of star players getting away with all kinds of crap, and it adds up. Plus, a lot of those players just weren't as good as we thought they would be. It also takes a toll on the roster numbers-wise.
  4. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +324
    Just looking over the past recruit rankings. We signed two of the top OT in 2012, but it doesn't look like there were many highly ranked OG, so maybe we passed & took the best players we could find at other positions. Well, OG were available in 2013 but then we had a new OC & OL coach, so that probably set us back with recruiting again.

There has just been so much going on, from being a bit depleted to start to players not fitting in then leaving, to injuries, to new coaches. As you said, we are where we are. It's just going to take a little longer to get everything with players/recruits back to a smoothly flowing system.
  5. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I don't remember Harvin running any dive plays (I'm sure he ran an occasional one, but it was not that frequent). Kestahn Moore and Demps were running much of the dive plays. And the dive plays are the base play of the option, that allows the other plays to be successful. You have to run a certain number of dives to set up the QB runs, pitches, and shovel passes. If you concentrate the defense inside, the outside game opens up.

I think that Mullen got better at play calling between 2005 and 2008, even though more of the improvement was due to the players getting better at executing the offense. Addazio was a noticeable step down, and it wasn't all because Harvin left. Harvin only averaged 10-12 touches a game, and he typically accounted for a fourth or a third of the yardage at the most. Tebow was the most important element, because he could run through people or around them, he had excellent decision-making in executing the option plays, and he could read defenses. Having Tebow means that the offense was playing 12 against 11 (counting the knowledge of the play as the equivalent of one person). It was almost unfair in 2006 when he ran short yardage plays, and it was the same in 2009, except the playcalling was worse.
  6. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Been away watching UF soccer online---absolutely destroyed UGA tonight, 5-1, and clinched the #1 seed for the SEC tourney.

I hope you're right but, call me a pessimist after watching UF's O-line the last four years, I'm uncertain that a couple of guys step up. I certainly HOPE they do, but haven't seen much for a while that would cause me to expect it.

Here's to me being absolutely wrong, and you being completely correct, about this.
  7. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +473
    Good stuff.

You know, the only programs enjoying sustained success lately are 'Bama, Oregon, Ohio State, Stanford and LSU. I'm probably missing somebody obvious, but people say that Florida shouldn't be down and I say look around. Obviously Miami and FSU's sudden success have exacerbated the problem, but check out what all the big boys are doing: Where is Texas? How about USC? Notre Dame and Michigan? Nebraska and Oklahoma have been good, but certainly not great. Auburn has been down.

Ohio State has benefited from a combination of things, an average conference, and Meyer walked into a pretty good situation. Oregon is in a similar situation.

Taking an honest, objective look at our situation clearly points out why we're struggling.
  8. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I enjoy your total lack of any clarity as it relates to Gator football.

Glad we are both enjoying ourselves.

Now that that's settled, let's get back to talking about Zook 2.0.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Please elaborate on the first part
  10. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Every thread that you are posting right now is all the proof a sober thinking football enthusiast needs.
  11. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    you actually havent made one point about football you are just crying which I find funny
  12. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Sure I have. And all you have are insults.

Please, tell us how great we are. Don't forget the highlights though. Our inability to crack the Top 104 in offense in 3 years. Or, our 150 yard output against Mizzou.

You find my "crying" funny?

Well, what do those of us with a brain in our skulls find your "football points" then?

The password is: Hilarious.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Yes I find your crying funny. I dont think the team is doing great this season for various reasons that have been brought up in this thread
  14. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    I know. Damn our luck. We are the only team with injuries. The humanity.
    But hey, we are KILLLEEERRR when it comes to T.O.P baby!!!! That = AWESOME!
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,105
    Dude im sure florida state or even uga could use a guy of your talents your a great GATOR HATER. They could use more of those on the other side. Hell take your talents to south beach! There plenty other teams if this one aint your cup of tea hell you dont even have to leave the state.

And dint worry about us, we'll be fine, it will be tough at first but we will eventually move on from your absence. :(
  16. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Meyer's 2006 and 2007 classes were monsters. They were ranked either #1 or #2 and were every bit as good as their rankings. Then we had a small 18 player class in 08 that wasn't very good and highly rated class in 09 that wasn't very good. Then another #1 class in 2010 that was very good. All in all Meyer recruited extremely well. He is not the talent evaluator that Saban is but Meyer is very good at getting the players he wants and more often than not those highly rated kids turn out to be really good. The one area Meyer consistently missed on was bringing in a real stud Tailbak.
  17. Nubla

Nubla Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Maybe because it wasn't as effective without Harvin. Demps was a straight line runner and Rainey dances too much before deciding when to turn on the jets.
  18. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Yeah, I don't really know where this Harvin dive stuff is coming from. When Harvin was running up the middle, it was almost always a counter play.
  19. NoahBeanBizzel

Ratings Received:
    +473
    But my point was that as far as the skill-position players that Meyer brought in were concerned, the production didn't really match the hype. Harvin, Tebow and Hernandez were all tremendous talents, but who else can you really say lived up to the hype? Also, while many pointed out Meyer's inability to haul in a "stud" in the backfield, it's not like Florida didn't get any running backs while he was here; they just didn't work out.

People on this board were doggin' Jimbo Fisher and FSU's recruiting after we signed another top-five class this past February. But I looked at the numbers-and their schedule-and saw a big season coming for them. They brought in a couple of "monster" classes a few years back, and now people are starting to see Fisher's hard work on the recruiting trail pay off. I don't think FSU's ever necessarily been short on talent, but they definitely started slipping under Bowden. Fisher went to work and it is showing this season.

Now the 'Noles boast one of the nation's best teams. Who is questioning Fisher now? I think we'll see similar results down the road under Muschamp. You can see the big picture starting to take shape.

And again, people who don't think we should be down need to be realistic. For years the top teams in the country were Tennessee, Nebraska, Boise State, FSU, Miami, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Georgia, Notre Dame and Ohio State. The Buckeyes are the only team in that group who have consistently been good lately.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,548
    Perhaps but we literally never saw it.

It seems very odd to abandon 5-10 plays that were so effective without realizing simply having them in the playbook alone poses an offensive advantage.

I contend they weren't in Addazzio's version of the sandbox.