Offensive Recruits Meyer Era

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Wormwood56, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure in my lifetime that will ever end in this forum.
  2. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Half the playbook? When we had Harvin we made him run the same plays as after Harvin. He was just good at it. We had like 5 plays that we ran over and over with Harvin and Tebow. Our playbook was not complicated. We gave Harvin the ball and he did the damage, most of which was on passes and dive plays and of course he did run it wide as well.
  3. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

There may have been a few plays gone after 08, but most of the success we had was not on those plays. It was on the simple Harvin left, Harvin right, Harvin dive plays. Our offense in 07-08 was almost all Harvin and Tebow. Everyone else were complementary players. It was absolutely predictable and simple. Everyone saw what was coming you just could not stop it.

Also having Harvin was like having Shaq- it opened up opportunities for his teammates because the defense had to focus on Harvin. Opposing DCs always said accounting for Harvin and where he lined up was the hardest part of defending the Gator offense. He was a great WR/RB all in one.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Again:

Counter - gone
    Drag routes - gone
    Jet sweeps - gone
    Shovel pass - gone
    WR pitches - gone
    HB pitches - mostly gone

Not all of those plays centered on Harvin in 2008, and most were successful.

It was Meyer's sandbox, no question. But the OCs were the ones playing in it.
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

I think Addazio as a first year OC didn't have confidence in others running those plays once Harvin left. He knewhe count on Tebow for 3-6 yards each time he carried the ball. Harvin was so much more dynamic than others and when he was on the field the defense keyed on him more than anyone, including Tebow. This opened up opportunities for everyone else.

It will be interesting to see the Seahawks' offense once Harvin makes his appearance. Lynch, Wilson, Rice and Tate will be thankful he's on the field. On the other hand, Peterson doesn't seem to be having as much fun this year without Harvin...
  6. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

meyer had success with the pounceys, gilbert, hurt, johnson, harvin and TT.

a bad ass oline, an autotmatic 1st down short yardage FB who could throw on occasion, and the best athlete to ever play at UF housing it on many an occasion.

top shelf players that are huge difference makers are few and far between and it doesnt take many to make rings.

its been the missing ingredient since harvin and that oline core left.
  7. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Meyer recruited well, won national championships, then suffered from a depleted staff that was not replaced well. Will Muschamp uses more of Urban Meyer's recruits in his 3rd year (and this after changing philosophies in a radical way) than Urban used Ron Zook recruits in his 3rd year.

We've played wait and see for the last three years to see how "broken" everything was, and the bottom line is that the reasons the cupboard is/was bear is because Meyer's recruits were so good that they left for the NFL...or they were such non-fits with the current program that they are no longer here. The ones that are still here make up a large group of current contributors, which indicates that either A-the cupboard was not as bare as originally thought....or B- the current staff has not done an adequate job addressing how bare it actually was over the past 3 seasons.

Our current predicament can no longer be blamed on Meyer. If anything, Meyer's recruits are the reason things aren't any worse.

I mean no disrespect to WM, or any posters here who see it differently. This just seems to me what has gone on after 3 years of observing how we "recovered" from Meyer leaving.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

For skill position players, I believe you are correct. The 2012 class should be contributing more than it is and that's on Muschamp.

OL takes longer to develop, and that hole in the roster lands primarily on Meyer. And that's where our biggest challenge is.
  9. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

A part can be blamed on Meyer for the lack of recruiting on both lines of scrimmage
    A part can be blamed on a coaching transition
    A part can be blamed on Muschamp for not getting more OL/DL in his first two years
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Even if that's the case, it sort of spoils the "all OCs are just puppets for the HC" meme du jour of late.
  11. LTG61

LTG61 Active Member

OK, fair enough about this year's OL. But, given the longer time to develop OL recruits, the numbers just aren't there for next year either...nor the year after that. And that DOES fall on WM. His (lack of) OL recruiting so far has positioned them to struggle for the next several years, even if the players develop "on schedule."

And honestly, if WM's guys on the OL aren't playing yet (or are being forced to play before they are "developed") no one can say for sure whether he can get them ready to contribute any better than he has the skill position guys. That's potentially VERY scary.
  12. GATORAZ

How do you know the numbers not there the next 2 years?
    Say they take 6 this year which is certainly possible that is 12 OL in two years

No one can ever say for sure in the second part so you must always be scared
  13. LTG61

LTG61 Active Member

Why the attack, AZ? You yourself just said that the this year's problems can be partially blamed on WM's failure to take more OL. And, I think I was pretty clear that it's TBD whether they will develop under WM. Hence the word "potentially" that I used.

I believe the point is, even if 12 were to taken over this year and last (and BTW, how do you know this will come to pass?) they likely won't be ready for a couple of more years. And 2 of those taken last year will be gone early because they transferred in. That's going to potentially result in more of the same issues for the OL. And, God forbid that ANY of them get injured over the next several years.

Regardless, I think I've gone out of my way here to not say anything of a personal nature about you. I hope you'll afford the same courtesy to others.
  14. seanymac

seanymac New Member

And yet he is 100000X better than what we have now.
    Great thread.
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Two OL in 2010 is killing us now. For the four-year period we had 13 on the roster, including the oft injured Patchan, when we should've had 15. In Muschamp's shortened first recruiting season we added only two which left us with a four-year total of 11 (Patchan out for year), including a DT who played OL.

Two other holdover recruiting busts that stand out are QB & WR.
  16. GATORAZ

where was the attack by me on you?
    How do you know that we wont take 6?

Also I was wrong when I said we took 6 last year we actually took 7.. 2 transfers 1 juco and 4 high school recruits.

From what I saw from the high school film my personal opinion is 3 of the high school kids from last years class should be ready to contribute next year.

This years class has Kelleher who is an EE who might be able to play next year if he can get stronger due to the off season conditioning program. We will have to see what the last 2 or 3 recruits are. Sims is a player that could see time early if he keeps his weight down.
  17. seanymac

seanymac New Member

Shouldn't the blame Bush threads be on too hot?
  18. GATORAZ

I enjoy your crying
  19. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

for old time's sake:
    http://youtu.be/eg9o3pzIGZg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gator Country
  20. GATORAZ

Eye on College FBall ‏@EyeOnCFB 14m
    Chris Dunkley’s 41 yd punt return sets up a FG for the Bulls. USF cuts Houston’s lead to 7-3. 6:33 1Q