Offensive Play Calling Opening Up???

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Chosen12395, Oct 6, 2013.

1. gatorjlm

gatorjlm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    On that last scoring drive they thew a corner route to Burton for some decent yardage and finished the drive with the shovel pass to showers....a bit of an hommage to both SOS and Meyer on that one series.
  2. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    The playcalling has been much better since Murphy has taken over except when we get a "big" lead and Muschamp shuts it down. Then the playcalling is infuriating.

Btw, those of you who are too young to remember the early years of the fun n gun, that reverse flee flicker was a play we used to run all the time, especially with Shane and Eric Rhett. A staple of the FnG in the running game was pitch counter so off of that we would run the reverse flicker. It was my favorite play back then as it almost always was a big gainer.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    We threw a ton on first down against Miami. The offense appears opened up, in my opinion, when kids make plays the way Patton did.
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +911
    Yep, couldn't believe that formation. Was our staff just asleep? Unbelievable.
    I guess the fear some of us have is that the critiques we have will hurt against a team that can match us both sides of the line and pass well. LSU probably going to be tough. If we have anything extra on offense we haven't seen next week should be where they show it.
  5. brimley

brimley Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    I think at times it looks better, at times eerily predictable & boring. But, a lot of teams/games are like that, there are a lot more teams like us than there are Oregons. It will get better...I agree with what someone said that the coaches don't fully trust Murphy yet, which is understandable. I believe with Driskell, they felt limited because he was more banged up than what was said. With those factors mixed with the head coach is defensive minded, this is what you get. Overall, I feel more confident in their ability to move the ball than I did...so moving in the right direction!
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    You mean, we might lose to possibly the best team in the nation in LSU? On their home field? Shocking.

The problem isn't the critique, it is the echo chamber critics live in. Every team at every level of football has personnel weaknesses it schemes around. There is no perfect team. If someone can exploit your weaknesses or if they can't be schemed around without giving up something more damaging, then you are going to lose. It happens. We hardly have an impregnable roster right now.

So criticize away. It doesn't stop you when you are patently wrong. Sure didn't during the Meyer years.
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +918
    Not true. We still only threw 30% of the time. It just seems like we threw more because that 30% accounted for almost 70% of our yardage and 100% of our offensive touchdowns. We opened up the type of pass plays and mixed things up a little more. I thought it was brilliant. It's astonishing to me that we could run the ball 41 times averaging less than three yards a carry and bury a team like Arkansas. It's safe to say that Tyler Murphy is doing more than just "managing" this offense.
  8. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
  9. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +918
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +918
    I can assure you that there was no homage to Meyer in that game. The corner route to Burton may have been more of a homage to Chris Leak or Tim Tebow.
  11. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    There is less difference than many people on here think.

UF threw plenty on first down v UM and in every game this year.

Fact is, Patton turned 2 curl routes into TDs, those plays were typical "get 10 yards and move the sticks" passes UF throws all the time, its just that Patton made plays out of them.

What this shows is how much more an Offense can LOOK open when your skill players actually make plays.

With Patton's (and Dunbar's, if he would get a chance) speed, I would like to see more slants and go routes where we try and hit people in stride instead of these comeback and curl routes we throw to the WRs...

Also, use Patton as a decoy and have LSU, UGA etc put a nickel back on DeMarcus Robinson and throw to Robinson long, assuming Murphy throws an accurate long ball.

LSU and UGA have very weak secondaries, I think any one of our top 4 WRs could make those teams' nickel backs look silly...
  12. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Yeah you and AZ are right, we aren't throwing it more. It just seems like it.