Offensive Play Calling Opening Up???

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Chosen12395, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Prior to the Arkansas game tonight many were saying how "predictable" we were on 1st down always running and that it would be nice to see play action or other throws on 1st down. Tonight we saw some of that and I especially like the play where Matt Jones gives the ball back to Tyler Murphy and hits the open receiver as well as the shovel pass on Showers for the TD. Does it seem like more of the "play book" is being opened up now? I admit, I liked seeing us throwing more but we looked one dimensional tonight without a balanced run game....what are your thoughts?
  2. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

I got the feeling they opened it up a bit tonight too. of course there were still times they made me want to pull my hair out. The wasted plays in the red zone for example.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like the coaches still don't completely trust murphy yet. We have some playmakers at WR. We really should stretch the field more often imo.
    GatorGrowl likes this.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

we have been passing it on first down all year nothing has really changed
  4. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

We went for points at the end of the half. That was big
  5. gatorbait96

gatorbait96 Active Member

The play calling has gotten better. There will still be that very boring part of the game where we are beating our heads against a brick wall aka running for 2 yards a pop. But I'm encouraged by how Murphy is playing.
  6. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

We sped up a little between plays in the second and third quarters, also. That was interesting.
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

It's weird that they seemed to open it up on the last drive. Much more dynamism on what the OL was doing (pulling, trapping etc), and then the shovel pass. Maybe they wanted to experiment when it was relatively safe, maybe they just wanted to get to O some confidence, but it seemed odd timing wise.
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Those runs up the middle-wasted plays on the goal line were just killing me. Hated them. Love we won, but good God, come on...Murph was a smidge off. Better than Driskel, but still could of chilled a tad. Worst part of the day to me, personally...Northwestern losing. Ugh...
  9. vader6063

vader6063 Active Member

Didn't go for points. Muschamp was running the clock out, playing very conservative and we just happened to get a big YAC play from Solomon. Not trying to complain, but to say that the coaches were doing everything in their power to score points at the end of the half is simply false.
  10. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Uh, then why did we go to a hurry up offense on that play? We wanted points to end the half if even a FG attempt.
  11. 619_Gator

619_Gator Premium Member

Yeah... They ran hurry up and passed the ball. If they were trying to kill clock, they would have ran it and punted. I think people see what they want to despite what is actually going on in the game.
  12. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Winner.
  13. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

From my perspective offensive play calling has certainly opened up a bit. Murphy was 16-22 with 240 yards and 3 TDs, the coaches are allowing us to throw the ball a lot more imo. Isn't that what you guys wanted,more throwing?
  14. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

yeah the first couple plays their defense was lagging off and it was a good play to run the draw, pick up the first down then start attacking which is what they did. people are ridiculous saying we just got lucky with a big pass play and coach tried to run the clock out lol. get real
  15. Swamper

Swamper New Member

they are still wasting too many plays running matt jones---he doesn't seem to have it this year
  16. jaxgator1991

yeah i really like matt jones and hope he gets things going, i would personally like to see kelvin taylor get valdez shower's carries when we need a change up back. i really don't know what the hold up is, maybe its pass protection. i know we have had threads on here about Drob not getting to play that much. maybe we saw why when he missed his block and got dunbar laid out. i think things like that are why muschamp hasn't given these offensive freshman alot of go. pure speculation, just a thought
  17. GATORAZ

22 times is opening it up? We ran the ball 42 times think about that. It is the same play calling Patton is making plays. He took two 10-15 yards plays to the house.

I am not complaining I think the play calling has been fine the whole time. We are a good football team when we throw it less than 25 times and take care of the football.
  18. jaxgator1991

the 2/3 yard runs are frustrating at times but they do set up single press coverage alot of times, so when we do complete passes there is alot of oppurtunity for YAC as we saw tonite. teams know we won't stop attempting to run, its important to what we do. i wish we got more production out of it as does everyone else. were playing an awful lsu defense this week so maybe it will look better.
  19. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Agree

We'd be damn solid if we had Gilly. Watching Matt "tunnel vision" Jones try to ram his head up our guys' butts makes me truly appreciate how great Gilly's vision and instincts were. Second to none in my book.
  20. GATORAZ

I am not going to talk about Matt or the Oline until I watch the film not sure how many people they had in the Box. Us running it up the gut help with the play action which is a reason Patton score a TD man coverage one guys misses and it is 6 points