Offensive Line

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mikehev, Jun 9, 2014.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    We hope....although I am a homer too and think this is true!
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    Oh no, I need your call before bama!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    LOL!

I'm sure I'll make a call before Bama, but deep down I won't be real confident until we face real competition. Our OL played reasonably well against Toledo last year (from what I recall), and Toledo was much better than our first two opponents this year and probably ball park with UK.
  4. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    SOOOOOOOOO True!!!

This is how a team full of 3* s can beat a Top Tier Team. We have not executed for several years (IMO)
  5. _GatorStud_

_GatorStud_ New Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    Dreaming of the Great Wall of Florida... and then I woke up. :(
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    Ughh.
  7. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Relax; as long as we keep recruiting and developing players we'll be back. Urban left the line way to thin. We knew this would catch up to us but I think that we are getting past it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81

Dude, you're missing 2 key players.

Max Garcia will likely be starting at C and Chaz Green at RT.

Trip Thurman is more of a "sixth-man" and can play C or either guard spot when needed.
  9. tampagatorlawyer

tampagatorlawyer Member

Ratings Received:
    +81

Just realized that was for 2015. Apologies.
  10. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    First, our OL cannot play any worse than the last few years, particularly last year. I am taking a wait and see attitude for each year there has been high hopes for the OL and then disaster. I have heard such things as better chemistry, focusing on blitzes, yada yada yada. This year it's better coaches, better schemes, healthier, whatever. I will hold my judgement as the season progresses.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    We did not even have an O&B Game in 2013. We're not Bama but we are much improved.

Urb left the O Line cupboard bare. We had everyone playing out of position, in a very complex blocking scheme, and with an OC who refused to adapt.

Now BAZZA has yet to share with me what he is on, even Vegas has us at 7-5. We'll be fine.
  12. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    ...but that's the problem. These last two cycles had two elite prospects (Tunsil and Damian Prince) at offensive tackle that we missed on. But we were so caught up in all the fun, all the great DBs being brought in, and Adoree Jackson's "I'mma shock the whole damn world." moment that people declared that it didn't matter that we didn't sign either one of them. There were more important prospects to worry about.
  13. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    We were never really in it for Tunsil. That was obvious months before signing day. He seemed like the kind of kid who was bound and determined to leave the state of Florida. Also, he's from Lake City, which is a problem for the Gators for some reason.

Prince is an out of state kid who decided to stay home. It's hard to get those Maryland kids. Just look at the Stefon Diggs situation. Losing Prince was definitely not due to a lack of trying. Also, as soon as we lost out on Damian, the staff went out and grabbed Andrew Mike to replace him. That's not a bad contingency plan.

We signed 5 OL last year (plus a JUCO) and will follow suit again with a big OL class this cycle. With any luck, the 2014 season will be the last time that we have to worry about depth on the OL for a while.
  14. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    There's nothing you're going tell me about Prince or Tunsil that I'm not already aware of, but here's the bottom line: the OP basically asked why our 2015 depth chart across the offensive line is going to look like it just got hit by an ice cream truck, and losing those two players is part of the reason for that. You don't have to believe that. In fact, you can spend a half an hour putting together a better argument than mine for why it won't matter that we lost either one.

Tunsil will likely end up being a first-round pick. Prince has that kind of upside as well. And neither one wanted to be a Gator. I'll credit Muschamp for getting some excellent talent across the line of scrimmage, though, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. We have championship-caliber talent across the defensive line. But you've gotta hit on elite offensive tackles when you have the chance and, even though you contest that we didn't really have a shot at Tunsil, we were definitely in the mix until the end for Prince and lost him to Maryland.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,055
    More like 4 plus a JUCO because Taven Bryan is supposed to play DL(I thought). I just hope they develop quickly and we have the good fortune of four of the five actually being ready to play at a high level soon. I hope you are correct and we sign a large group of talented OL this class. There's just too little margin for error at this point.
  16. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Then why did you even bring up Tunsil? Since you were so well versed on his recruitment, you already knew that we never had a chance at him. You are arguing that missing out on one or two 5 star players in 2013 and 2014 is the reason we won't have a decent OL in 2015. That is not even remotely close to being the issue.

We are thin on the line this year, because we signed 2 OL in 2010 (Silberman and Green), 2 OL in 2011 (Thurman and Jordan) and 2 OL in 2012 (Humphries and Dunker). We are also thin because of attrition. Dunker and Jackson were both lost before they contributed to the team. Imagine how much worse the situation would be without the JUCOs and transfers.

I agree completely that recruiting is to blame for this predicament, but the reason isn't the fact that we missed on an elite prospect or two. It's that, for multiple consecutive years, we failed to bring in the requisite numbers needed to field a capable OL. That's the same reason we have precious little veteran leadership in this group. Meyer and Muschamp recruited 6 HS OL over a 3 year period, and only 3 of those still remain with the program. That is just negligent. Those classes are now our Junior and Seniors. 2015 won't look much better from that standpoint, but there should at least be good depth and returning experience. It's not guaranteed that we will be weak at OL in 2015. We will be young, but at least we will have a good number of SEC caliber linemen that were coached by one of the best in the business.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  17. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    Muschamp had no room for failure in his 2012 recruiting class on the offensive side of the ball. The issues we face now are because of that failure. If UF is ever to get over the hump with Muschamp as head coach, the survivors of the 10-12 classes will need a lot of help from the much more well rounded 13 and 14 classes. Unfortunately, 2013 happened, with more offensive coaching changes, so the outlook isn't so bright.
  18. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,174
    Am I missing something on Chaz Green?
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,424
    Green is a Senior this year... that post was about 2015.
  20. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,174
    thanks Oak, phewww I started to hyperventilate
    • Funny Funny x 2