Offensive Line

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mikehev, Jun 9, 2014.

1. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    I know this is down the road, but we are projecting 3 seniors on our starting O-line and Roper, by his own admission, indicates that O-line depth is a severe weak spot.

I'm hoping that we can recruit some big-time players at O-line this year, but the more I look at that position group, the more I realize how important staying healthy on the O-line will be this year, and I don't even want to think about 2015.

Not trying to be negative, but can someone describe why our O-line in 2015 will not be an extreme weak spot when those seniors leave?

I get that Sharpe could be the real deal given a year in the system, and I guess one argument would be that with the sheer numbers we recruited on O-line the past few years, at least some of those guys will be overachievers, even though they were 3 star lineman coming out of high school.

Thoughts?

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Instead of 3 seconds to get the ball out, Roper may have to go to 2 seconds. :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    More JUCO's!! :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. sleeze

sleeze Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    Exactly,,,,

Is it me or are teams going this route?
    Especially when it comes to the o-line and d-line.
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    No need to worry Mike....our OL has had lots of practice blocking each other.
    • Boring Boring x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
  6. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    Our offensive line has been a weak spot for basically 3-4 years now.....experience, inexperience, big, small, fast, slow it hasn't mattered

All we can do is actually develop what we have and keep bringing them in....JUCO's could help sure up the immediate concerns though
  7. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    Sleeze, I was actually joking....however, I do think JUCO's can be nice bandaide's to helping w/ depth. Savary (the JUCO OL we signed this offseason) seems to be just that as he didn't "wow" anyone in spring practice.

Ideally, we're going to recruit well.....and DEVELOP that talent. We don't need true freshman OL's playing or starting along the OL. We need kids who have been here at least a year, in the weight room, at the training table, and learing the system. Hopefully after the big OL class last year we'll start doing that...
  8. GatorKWM

GatorKWM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,338
    It would seem that looking at JUCOs is a good way to pick up guys that were "late bloomers". Guys that didn't quite have it at the HS level, but developed after leaving. With the right eyes looking, it sounds like a great way to find some gems.
  9. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,265

The JUCO guys we signed, and the transfers too, have been more a stop-gap or bandaide to hold us together until the remaining depth of the OLine can be recruited and developed. OLine, more than any other position on the team is about development. Like champ would tell you, it would be ideal for every single OLineman to come in and rs and get some pt his redshirt year before competing for/taking over a starting spot in his 3rd year there. The strength, the schemes, the speed of the defenders. Yea the interior Dlineman are quicker/faster at this level but the Backers are SO much faster. Blitz packages and line stunts.... The Pouncey's are the exception, not the norm. Not to mention, the turnover at the OLine coach we've had for the last 4 years has been ridiculous. Think about When Spurrier got there with Rich McGeorge, from 92 onwith Jimmy Ray, I forget the coach under Zooker but I don't remember a bunch of change outs, and then under Meyer, we had the Dazzler (albeit many didn't like him, he was consistant with his line and overall, they were a strong unit for the majority of the time). Consistancy. I hope summers works out and stays for at least 5 years and see's a whole class through and gets those 5 classes set with the same consistant teaching, line calls and so forth. Ultimately, yes we need to recruit the best available, but good coaches (and Jimmy Ray was the best I've played for and/or been around) will turn a 3star into a stud in his 3-5years in the system. Development is what is needed.

We've been trying to stop the bleeding and win games and haven't had the luxury of adding young guys and deeloping them. I would like to think here in a year or two, we would have reached that were we don't need to rely on a JUCO guy or what have you. We have 3 deep at each spot that we're going to be solid on. In a perfect world, yes I know. But we MUST develp the guys we have into what Roper needs for THIS system to work.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    With any luck, we stay relatively injury free on the o-line this season. Otherwise, we struggle. It is very frustrating that appear to be thin on the o-line for both 2014 and 2015.
  11. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,146
    Offensive line is a HUGE concern for 2015. Especially if Humphries goes pro.

As of right now, assuming Humphries doesn't have a big year and go pro:

LT: DJ Humphries Sr. 6'5, 290, Kavaris Harkless So. (or maybe R-Fr.) 6'5, 282
    LG: Tyler Moore R-Sr. 6'5, 325
    OC: Trip Thurman R-Sr. 6'5, 305/Cam Dillard, R-So. 6'4, 297
    RG: Roderick Johnson R-So. 6'5, 308/Drew Sarvary Sr. 6'6, 310
    RT: David Sharpe R-Fr. (or So.) 6'6, 318, Nolan Kelleher R-Fr. (or So.) 6'5, 311

Other guys that will be fighting for playing time:

Andrew Mike (r-Fr. or So.) 6'7, 270
    Travaris Dorsey (r-Fr. or So.) 6'2, 315
    Antonio Riles R-So. 6'4, 288 (assuming he doesn't transfer after his position change)

Plus whatever new players come in for the 2015 class.

Now if Humphries goes pro, UF will be in for a long season, because they won't have a single experienced offensive tackle on the entire team and they'll be extremely young, overall. If Humphries goes pro, I wouldn't be surprised if UF picks up a JUCO tackle that they think can play right away. It does set UF up nicely to pick up a big OT recruit in the 2015 class, but even the best recruits won't really help much until at least 2016.

So yeah, without Humprhies, the team will look like this:

3 seniors (1 of which is JUCO, 1 of which is a transfer)
    0 juniors
    3 RS sophomores (1 of which is a position change from DL)
    and then depending on red shirts and such:
    5 RS-freshmen or sophomores
    whatever new freshmen are recruited

So the offensive line in 2015, without Humphries, will be ridiculously young and inexperienced.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    Our line is not bad, it's just thin. Toward the end, Meyer had these great recruiting years but we were light on linemen. Many analysts saw this coming. We even had scrimmages instead of O&B Games.

We have some young lineman coming up but their development is generally slower than other positions. This is especially true with O lineman. It takes time to bulk-up and it is a misnomer that lineman are "dumb". This is not true. The position takes a lot of smarts and maturity. Pease found that out last year.

I think we will be much improved over last year but the concerns are warranted. As I have stead earlier, I hope we use the early games to give the 2 & 3 wide loads as much playing time as possible. Development should trump a "blow-out".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826

I agree, and am not so sure that our OL will be that thin for 2015. We should have 11- 13 returning players, and although many will be RFRs and Sophomores, there will likely be some experience there as well. I think we have the right OL coach to develop the talent we do have. To your point, I hope the coaches try to get our young guys (who are not redshirting) in when the opportunity presents itself. It's certainly a question mark at this point, but I don't think we are garunteed to be thin on the OL next year.
  14. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068
    Just having your OL and OC on the same page should be a drastic improvement. wm's summer campers seem to be enamored with our new OL coach's teaching techniques and personality so this may well help OL recruiting. Hope our current roster's linemen agree. JUCO's are a stopgap measure out of desperation, not the long term solution.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    Sure, development should trump a blowout. But the fact is backup football players don't get into a football game unless it's a blowout. How many backups played against Vanderbilt or Georgia Southern?

We need to blow the F out our first two opponents next year, period. THEN the 2's & 3's will get their chances at "development"!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    The coaches are saying that the simplified offense (when compared to Pease's offense) will help the OL perform better.
  17. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    I agree Ghost. How many time have you seen a game that we were up three scores in the third quarter but the back-ups get two or three possessions in the fourth?

And the issue with the JUCOs is that many times they take a year to learn and adapt. They already have burned two years so you only get them for one good year unless they red shirt. So, now you have defeated the purpose for the JUCO and as I stated before, OL players are slow developing.

I like JUCOs and transfers but they are usually a stop-gap and end up with the second tier teams that are loaded with 3*s and go looking for 4*s
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nolagator

nolagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    I think a big difference between Pease and Roper is that Roper is better at teaching and adapting his system then Pease was.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    Roper > Pease; Summers > Davis; Roper + Summers > Pease + Davis by about a zillion.

We should be significantly better at blocking the guys in the other uniforms.

Execution is everything.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,439
    Hope you are right, manigordo.

I'll be cautiously optimistic until we see it on the field. In Tuscaloosa.
    • Agree Agree x 1