Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by iam4uf, Sep 7, 2013.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +337
    We were down two starters for this game & had another injured early, so basically down three starters for the game. We had a newcomer, who hadn't played in a couple of years & was expected to play tackle playing guard instead.

Instead of looking at this reality, the geniuses on this board blame the QB, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, the scheme, etc. Yeah Muschamp stuck with his game plan instead of panicking over the injuries. It worked well last year & we praised him for sticking to it. To achieve the Muschamp vision we had to keep with the plan. Sure Driskel was affected by pressure leaking through a depleted o-line. Did you see the times Driskel stood tall in the pocket & took a big hit to get a pass completion? Probably happened 3-4 times. Pease was accused of being vanilla, but when he opened it up & took chances that didn't work people here are all over him.

Posters on this board need to gain some patience & reduce the criticism.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Good points. I expect you will be attacked vehemently as a smoke blower.
  3. WHGATOR

WHGATOR New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I understand all points, but when is our depth supposed to out duel an inferior opponent. We had there defense on the field most of the game and we had no gaps to run in. I understand the health issues, but we recruit some of the best in the country. Our depth and play makers "should" be able to knock them off the ball. Did't see much of that today.
  4. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Our O-linemen get injured too easily. What's with our S&C coach? These guys should have been pushing a gassed UM D-line all over the field midway through the third quarter.
  5. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    Georgia seems to lose half their offensive line to injuries every year, and they lost their #1 WR last week and their #2 RB this week. Didn't stop them from dropping 40 on what was supposed to be a decent USCe squad.
  6. docspor

docspor Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    Yeah, Driskel had to make bad decisions quicker.
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,911
    Excellent point.
    I have no explanation as to who's coaching or training these young men.
    Meyer had his mat drills...I don't understand what's going on these days.
  8. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +760
    Need a new OL coach imo. Once again, fail.
  9. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    It also seems that Miami should have bee thoroughly gassed by the forth quarter but we had no sense of urgency about getting up to the line and running plays to take advantage of their exhaustion. I'm not saying we should have been Oregon, but we should have had some kind of hurry up to put pressure on a bunch of tired players.

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  10. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Miami was gassed but the interception brought them back to life. Great OP and right on the money.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Our OL pass blocked pretty well until DJ went out and then Moore.
  12. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +591
    A good quality QB makes an offensive line look good. An average to poor QB makes them look bad. Driskel had plenty of time to make all those mistakes. Look at the INT at the goal line. He had all day to throw. He looked to his right, then turned to his left, then immediately looked down field and chunked the ball in quadruple coverage for no explicable reason. A HS QB knows not to throw that ball.

He also hangs onto the ball waaaay too long. On several occasions he had receivers wide open but waited for them to be covered before he threw the ball. He also took unnecessary hits waiting too long to throw the ball. It's as if he can't anticipate where the route is going and can't throw to a spot. So that extra second is where a defender can blow him up. Guys are getting open but he doesn't know how/when to throw it on time. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten hurt hanging on to the ball so long. WR's are open. He just can't deliver it on time. He's a bit late on his throws.
  13. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Why should we want the Muschamp vision, what evidence is there that his vision (run up the gut and don't throw it more than 15 yards downfield) has worked.
  14. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Did we not go vertical today? Or do we have to throw long every offensive play to please you.

The passing game had some nice plays and some busts today.

Your idol UM didn't go long that much, bubble screen and dink and dunk in the flats was our game.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  15. GATORnGA31909

GATORnGA31909 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    If we think that our O-line has issues now, after this year its going to get much worse...We will lose Koehne, Halapio and Harrison to graduation.These 3 are the best we have now. If the youngsters we have now not good enough or big enough to play now, we will be suffering next year..You would think with the injuries we are going through these young guys would get some playing, sometime you have to sacrifice red shirts to do injuries
  16. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Yep but everything that happens to us is devastating.

New head coach? Well hes going to need 4 years to get his players in here.
    New OC? Well start the clock back at 0 with a new system.
    Injuries? We don't have any backups ready. Our line is now decimated and we are fielding walk-ons and defensive converts as RBs
    Turnover? Well can't overcome that (even if its a pick six from the opening possession)
    Sack or penalty? Well there goes that drive.
    Backup QB transfers? Well now we can't bench our starter that is having trouble protecting the football because there's no one else ready

We seem to not be doing so well at handling adversity. But yet you see teams lose their QB or other key players and not miss a beat. You see new coaches/coordinators integrate seamlessly. Feels like we are walking on egg shells over here.
  17. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    LoL, patience. How long should it take to assemble at least a consistently competent and average offense?
  18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    The OL played well enough for us to have won going away. I don't know what game some of you were watching, but Driskel had planty of time on most plays. The holes were there for the running game, too, for the most part. Our starting back did not always hit the holes that were there, but I'm prepared to give him a mulligan due to his inexperience and recent health issues.

The OL did not throw a single interception, nor were they responsible for any. As for the fumble, it seems to me that the QB held that one a little long. I'm not an OL apologist, nor do I have friend or family on the OL this year, but that was as well as our OL has played against that kind of athleticism since about '09.
  19. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +644
    Maybe AZ can chime in here, or someone else pretty familiar with the recruiting, but I don't get the feeling Muschamp has recruited the O-Line as well as he would have liked since he got here. Humphries was our biggest nab, and he's been struggling.
  20. gator07

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I agree. After watching the opening drive against Toledo with the gaping holes and pass protection we saw I thought we'd rush for 300 yards and blow them out easily. Somehow we did get to nearly 300 but far from blew them out.

After the opening drive yesterday I saw the same holes open in the run game and JD with ALL DAY in the pocket to throw. Once again I thought we would run away with the game easily based on that, but we all know what happened.

Why does our offense struggle so much putting points on the board when we can seemingly move the ball rather easily? Why does our offense start the game off well and then seem to get bogged down? Why do we freak out when we get to the red zone? It just seems like theres something we cant quite figure out even though its right there for the taking.

We need a game-breaking RB/WR that can help us put up some easy points on the board in the worst way.