Offense: Holding back explosive plays for Miami?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by fairfaxgator, Aug 31, 2013.

1. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    (I think I get your point tho)
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I agree. Now I think Will's offensive philosophy is flawed, but he certainly doesn't want to be this bad.

The problem with your theory is that these rankings don't occur in a vacuum. If we say we were the 90th best offense, if we are "holding back" due to talent, that implies 89 teams have better offensive talent than us.

I agreed with you because I think a lot of those teams have better talent than us, but no more than half.

Also in college football you will never have elite experienced talent across the board. If you are "waiting" for that, you'll be like the Chicago Cubs and will always be waiting for next year.
  3. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but Florida played a lot of backups in the second half which I was glad to see. We weren't as good but a lot of players got some valuable playing time.
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,213
    Thanks for your response. I would be interested in a link. If Idaho, New Mex St, and FAU were ranked ahead of us, I see a little bit of a point (though they do not play the competition UF does). Then again, if you rank UF only against its peers, those rankings you are quoting would not be so inflated. The term "acceptable" seems to be bandied during football season and its pretty silly. Do you feel that the football team needs to perform at some particular level in order to be acceptable? If yes, what are your standards for acceptance?
  5. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    Offense looked way better than it did last year. Main difference was efficiency. Apart from the third quarter, I thought the offense looked sharp. We will win plenty games if they play like or better than they did in the first half today.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    We had the ball on the 1 Yd line prior to the dumb holding we also could have scored at the end. Easily we left 14 Pts on the field. Anyone notice the opposing coach say he appreciated us shutting it down in the post game handshake?

IMO,our O looked much improved
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RaginCajunGator

RaginCajunGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
  8. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Well I hope I am wrong next week.
  9. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Ive been saying it for 30 years......Why do receivers jump when trying 2 catch a pass...Just don't need to, but it something they have been doing as kids..All of our guys do it. It's a bad habit
  10. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    +1
  11. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    I find winning quite exciting.
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141

I don't think we did all that bad on O today. Sure, it looked ~ho hum!~ but we ended up with a 100 yard rusher, over 400 yards of total offense, and 22 first downs against a decent, competitive opponent.

That's nothing to sneeze at either.
  13. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Ive been saying it for 30 years......Why do receivers jump when trying 2 catch a pass...Just don't need to, but it something they have been doing as kids..All of our guys do it. It's a bad habit
  14. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    From my seat in the stands I thought we came away with several major positives in our passing game today...

Positive: I think the receivers are getting better separation this year. I saw open receivers all day today.

Positive: We threw effectively to the fullback out of the backfield.

Positive: Showers showed that he's going to be a weapon that we can move around a lot.

Positive: Trey Burton showed great recognition against a deep zone and showed excellent hands.

Positive: Several times Jeff did a great job of going through his reads and throwing in rhythm. On those occasions he looked quite comfortable in the pocket.
  15. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    I hope so. By all accounts, Demarcus Robinson is the real deal and we only targeted him once. I think if we wanted to, we could get have gotten more passing game production. That play to Patton was wide open, and it was unfortunate that he dropped it, I wouldn't expect him to do that anymore times. If he does, do the same thing with Robinson or Dunbar. We got Burton the ball semi-deep when we wanted to.
  16. sflagator

sflagator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    I posted this on another thread, but I'll reiterate it here - we only ran about 6 pass plays. Of those plays, 4 were variations of the same concept (triangle read). I have to believe Pease has more than that in the playbook, so I'm going to wager that the lead we had + plus the opponent we were playing = very vanilla play calling.
  17. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I don't believe we lack playmakers. Our QB is at above 70% completions. Its just plain and simple - we just aren't taking shots downfield. EVERY opponent stacks the box and we just keep running. When You have a top 5 defense, you can afford to keep running. If we have an average defense, we would be a below .500 team, and that is no exaggeration.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,691
    How do you know we have playmakers? And maybe you can define "taking shots downfield." Because I saw more than one play where Driskel checked down because a deep route wasn't there, largely owing to the umbrella coverages. I would also add that most offensive coordinators in pro style schemes do run against plus boxes. That is how they set up the play action stuff.
  19. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Your last line is another one of my beefs. We do not actually do much play action, especially under center. Many of our passes are in obvious passing situations or empty backfield. Our best success was when we used play action, yet we rarely do it.

We neutralize the impact of our run game because we aren't leveraging it in the passing game as much as we should.
  20. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Are they really a "decent, competitive opponent"? I hope so. Would Bama have won 24-6? That is what I'm always gauging. What would we have beaten them by in 2006 or 2008? It is how I look at it each year.