Offense: Holding back explosive plays for Miami?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by fairfaxgator, Aug 31, 2013.

1. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Driskel said in his interview after the game that he just took what the defense gave him. Which I would think makes Coach Muschamp and Coach Pease very happy. He can only do what the coach calls. And what has been said at length already, the wr's dropped some really nice throws that hit them in the place you never want to hit a wr, right in the hands.
  2. traubgator

traubgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Well a repeat of last season would not be a successfull season.
    Loss to ga, no sec title game. Bcs blowout
    Not winning the east would be a failure
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    Who said it was going to be a repeat of last year? You said the running game couldn't be effective and I said it was the same running game as last year, which was effective. I think someone with at least one working eye could look at this game and see how far ahead we are of last year at this time.
  4. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Here is the problem: Mack Brown was gassed after his touchdown run before the half -obviously overheated, he was not the same to start the second half, which should have been expected after sitting for 20 mins, that led to two straight three and outs as he gained 5 yards on 5 carries. Herndon or Showers should have started the second half. I was pleased with our offense other than the third quarter. Driskel was sharp and accurate, we had guys wide open, definitely a step up from last year
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    I don't necessarily think they should have started, but I would have spelled him a little more in the second and in the third. He rushed the ball on eight of our last 11 first half snaps. He probably hasn't run that many times in a game his entire career at Florida.
  6. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Hmmmm. I recall this running game working pretty well against some pretty legit Ds last year.
  7. Chosen12395

Chosen12395 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    agreed! Perhaps we are a bit too spoiled with HIGH POWERED from Spurrier's day.

Just finished looking at the Alabama game and they don't look too impressive either on O and our QB and Receiving Corp performed better albeit against Toledo.
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Last year was one of the worst offenses in the history of Florida football.
  9. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +164
    What a bunch of BS. Muschamp plays to win. Typical Socratic post game crying
  10. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Good points Gray........this offense left some yards and points on the field but I don't think it will stay that way. A couple of ugly drops were the only thing keeping JD from 200+ yards. We were very conservative and it showed throughout the game. I was very impressed with Showers and Burton on offense. Brown was the workhorse today and looks like a super backup for Jones in the future. Taylor was also quite impressive in the few plays he got the ball. I liked what I saw on defense especially considering all the studs that were watching from the sideline. This kid Hargreaves is going to be a superstar!
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    According to which metrics?
  12. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    We'll hold back every game until we make another championship game.
  13. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I hate winning 11 games too. Boohoo
  14. PahokeeJoe

PahokeeJoe Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    This thread is about the offense.
  15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    We were 106th and like 76th in yards and points. The points were obviously grossly inflated due to the defense. The USC game is a prime example. Even if you average them (which is generous) that puts us around 90th of 120.

That is really bad and you won't find many obviously worse years. Sure some similar stinky years, but it's tough to get worse.

Lets also remember these numbers aren't against our true peers. Our true peers are teams that contend for hardware. These numbers include Idaho, New Mexico St, and Florida Atlantic. So yeah, really bad.

I'm optimistic we can do better, and we have top 25 talent. However we need to call a spade a spade. The offense in Will's tenure has been downright terrible. I'm sure he's doing all he can to fix it, but lets not act like this is remotely acceptable. Teams with this type of O cannot produce consistent results.

Lets say one year our D regresses to a 40th-50th ranked unit. It happens to all. Do you realize how bad we'd be then? Maybe not worst in the SEC, but in contention for it.

It's just smart to put every single chip in the same basket and pray nothing goes wrong.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,977
    The problem is that you make it sound as if the offensive problems are some sort of strategy. It is as simple as this: we lack playmakers, especially at receiver. We've been through it a thousand times, but once again Debose has been injured and has struggled to pick so many systems over the course of this career, Dunkley and Coxson transferred, we missed on Diggs and Algohor, and now our best receivers are true freshmen. As the playmakers improve--and everything we've seen in recruiting right now is that they are and by a mile--the offense will improve.
  17. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +181
    Muschamp is not about that pass the ball life. Face it..we are GA Tech without the option. I guess if it brings us wins that's all that matters.
  18. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I enjoy winning. Go cry about it
  19. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Unsustainable. How many teams with our offense has won 11 games in the past couple decades? Maybe a handful.

And your premise is flawed. If you like winning 11 games you surely would like winning 12, 13, or 14. The ONLY way to do that is to hold steady the defense and move our relative offense up 50+ spots
  20. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I don't have a premise. I like winning. Whatever/however we win is ok by me