off.line in pros

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by missourigator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I was bored one day a few years ago and looked up a few years of drafts to see where NFL OL came from. Surprisingly, 25% of them came from schools you never heard of. Division II and Division III schools, not top-25 powerhouses, or even Division I schools. That tells you that HS recruiting sites (and college coaches) have a really difficult time identifying potential star O-linemen. The top draft picks typically come from D-1 powerhouses, but a significant number of 2nd - 7th round draft picks come from nowhere. The only smart thing a college coach can do with that information is to make sure he has enough OL on the roster, and not run short, like we sometimes have been doing recently. I think it hurts a team if they can't have a "real" spring game, including the practices leading up to it.
  2. phillyblount

phillyblount Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Not to hijack, But Ben Troupe was and always will be my favorite gator TE. Dude could hurdle anything.
  3. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    LOL at this thread when 60% of Pittsburgh's starting OL the last two years were Gators. Pay attention!! :wink: