Of Driskel's 22 pass attempts...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HisDoc, Sep 1, 2013.

1. HisDoc

HisDoc Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    Well, I guess Spurrier ruined us forever. Spoiled us into thinking that passing is a great way to move the ball and get points. Sure was fun to watch.

I see other teams that are run first like we are. They don't hang 60 on opponents. But their excellent running games (and ours is and will be this year IMO) really opens up the vertical passing game. They make some plays or take some shots every game. I just haven't seen that from us under Champ. I hope to this year. But until I do, I'll take the boring wins.

The point of my original post was actually just a curiosity of how many passes we threw to actual WR's. And the recruiting challenges that could present if we continue that trend. One poster mentioned, and I wholeheartedly agree, that it is darn impressive that we can bring in top tier WR's into this offense. TRob can flat recruit. And Joker will only help us.

One other question (hate to start another thread just for this): Did Kent Taylor or Colin Thompson see signif time on the field? I didn't see any passes thrown to them, so I was just curious. I felt like this would be their break out year (individually or collectively).
  2. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    when we ran the spread we bitched bout not having that big back and being able to sustain drives and put games away with them. Now we go into games and beat the hell out of people and the fans hate it
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yep, and that philosophy never failed or backfired, which is why he retired with a 166-0 record, 12 NCs and 12 SEC titles. If memory serves ...
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    The Gator fan must always suffer ...
  5. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Umbrella Coverage- We see cover 1 and cover zero more often than any non-triple option team in America because no one thinks we can beat them deep. As for the NFL comment- seriously, point me to the NFL team as unbalanced as we are other than the Tebow Bronco's- NFL teams throw the ball and spread the field- a 55-45 pass run mix in the NFL is average, we on the on other run more than any non-triple option team in America- 35-65 pass-run its freaking ridiculous how terrified of taking a risk Boom is at times.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    pst, the national champs last year passed 36% of the time.
  7. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    lmao nice obob
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,165
    I think we will. I hope we will. But I still don't see what this has to do with Muschamp. Weis loved the deep ball and hit some nice ones at times, but we also had some decent athletes in Thompson and Debose to work with. Pease has backgrounds in the Air Raid and in the Boise stuff, neither of which emphasizes the long ball unless the personnel is there to use it. Last year, we had no one. Hammond couldn't get deep, Debose couldn't get on the field, and Hines got a couple of looks, but that was about it. This year, I wouldn't expect too awful much from Patton, Burton, and Dunbar on that score. I am optimistic that Robinson and Fulwood will bring us something, but you can't necessarily expect to see that in their first game.
  9. jbaker07

jbaker07 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    Facts be damned.

There are some Florida fans who will be more happy if we throw the ball 30-40 times a game than if we win. I still remember the 2006 season, that was one of the most miserable times to be on a Florida message board. There were so many posters who complained non-stop about how our boring our offense was to watch, and those posters were the same people who were cheering as we claimed our second MNC. Granted we didn't make it to Atlanta last year but this season is still young.

I understand that our offense can be frustrating to watch at times, but our coaches are going to do whatever they think gives us the best chance to win. If you listen to Muschamp's post-game presser, you get a good idea of why we played the we did offensively. Due to suspensions, the coaches were only able to rotate 7 players on the defensive line, which as Muschamp noted "was not enough." This meant that the offense was going to play a ball-control offense to keep Toldeo's up-tempo offense off the field. Despite this conservative approach, the offense still rang up 450 yards of offense and controlled the ball for 40 minutes.

Muschamp also mentioned that he was disappointed that we were unable to connect on some big passing plays, but he also said that those plays will come, as the offense demonstrated the ability to do so in camp. I too would like to see more big plays from the passing game, but I am far from ready to proclaim that this year's Gator team lacks the desire and/or ability after one game.

I for one am excited to see what Pease and the offense have in store for Miami this Saturday. I will be at the game, so I am hoping to see some offensive fireworks.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,660
    WOW! Will AIN'T JEFF bro
  11. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    He won't care.
    Durrrrrrr.....throw the ball deep!
  12. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Lol...some posters here are humorous...
  13. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Spurrier doesn't even play like Spurrier anymore. Did anyone watch the South Carolina game??
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    It wasn't that long ago that everyone was upset because the top RBs were not coming here because we didn't run power football. So we throw it 60 times a game and get the top receivers. Now the mantra is for the RBs is "come to florida where you can block for the passing game???"
    You can't have it both ways. So you don't like WM's philosophy on how to win ball games, fair enough. Guess what, it ain't changing any time soon so learn to like WINNING or find another team.
  15. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Yes I understand that, but this same offense didn't out score Georgia or Louisville, which to me should never happen. That's just my opinion.

It's not like I don't like the power running attack, we just need more explosive passing plays to take the next step. If we get caught playing from behind (Louisville) there is no proof we can stage a comeback, with explosive plays.
  16. HisDoc

HisDoc Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    It really isn't an either/or thing when it comes to being a great running team or a great passing team.

Great teams are usually better at one than the other. I'd just like us to be serviceable/good at passing to balance our great rushing attack. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Oh, and to throw more than 4 yards on 3rd and 11.

That is all.
  17. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +336
    Driskel seemed more accurate with his throws, which is a good sign. But not sure our receivers are consistent enough making catches while running. Patton dropped a perfectly placed pass. So it seems pease is calling a lot of stop routes.
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    You're not going to win many friends insulting the most respected, most informed poster on this board.

FWIW, we're doing fine recruiting WRs. (Lane and Phillips will both stick. Book it.) Some of them even like to block. Demarcus Robinson threw some great downfield blocks on Saturday. If they're smart, they'll look back at Gators in the not too distant past who were drafted partly because of their blocking ability.

The difference between a conservative, run and short pass oriented offense and a stretch the field offense is often just two or three big plays. In the case of Saturday's game, it was a holding call and a dropped pass.

Wait till Jones is back and UF's running game is even more potent and the play-action pass becomes more a part of the offense. Wait till Purifoy comes back and walks out on the field when we have the ball. He will run deep. He will get open and he is too fierce a competitor to drop a sure TD pass. Wait till Roberson earns the coaches confidence.

Two or three deep balls a game. They just need to catch them.
  19. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Maybe I'm easy to impress but I loved the Toledo game. I thought it was fun.. It could've been the liquor I guess. We absolutely controlled the game. Idk why we would be slinging the ball over the place in a game like that. Idk it just seems like the same people will always complain.. And that's fine. I just wanna win period
  20. cudigator

cudigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Of all SEC teams Saturday, Florida had the best run def. (50 yds), total def. (205), opponent 3rd downs (1/13) and t.o.p. (39:48).