O'Dome Renovation Nearly Funded

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, May 29, 2014.

1. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I appreciate the effort, but unfortunately there isn't much to be learned by the links above, the video of the actual construction doesn't show the court installed, and as someone who never visited the SunDome pre-renovations, I can't get a read on how close the seating will be to the court. The artists rendering is similar to that of UF's (wondering if these are the same architects) where Row 1 fans are about 20' from the court craning their necks to see around multiple rows of folding chairs (folding chairs are an upgrade?)

I do see some of the problems that I mentioned in my concerns apparent in the video of the Dome. It appears that a large amount of seats in Lvl 1 (near side) in the Vid have been removed to accommodate premium seating which appears that if the trade-off in seating is maybe around 10 seats lost to every 1 created.

The two items I do like, the open area between Lvl 1 and Lvl 2 to accommodate table-top seating and the wide behind the seating concourses, I'm not even sure are possible at the O'Dome unless the are planning filling in the swimming pool and the gymnastics practice area.

I'm kinda like the guy above...not impressed with the SunDome, but as far as an upgrade I don't really have a reference point since I never saw the "before" product.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Use Firefox with the "Adblock plus" add on. Eliminates many of the lag/page load issues
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,244
    Chrome is fast too. No issues as long as you use adblock.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +650

I'm decently tech savvy. How did I not know about this? Good call.
  5. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +4,244
    For those saying they never saw the old Sun Dome, lets just say, they are in a new building for the most part. Its a million times nicer.
  6. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +4,244
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +4,244
    I notice in the rendering that there is no signage on the entry recognizing the title teams.
    I want to see that permanently affixed to the entrance like it is now.
  8. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    Best browser add-on ever.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    The new facility will be the House that Billy built.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    I just watched that local news video segment about the USF SunDome.
    What a grinning idiot that reporter is. He raves about the "luxury" suites being open-air and so close to the floor that you can throw stuff at the opposing team's bench.
    Why is the station promoting that kind of behavior? Is that acceptable at USF games?

Stan Heath then comes on and basically says this arena will transform the Bulls. Recruits will want to play there.
    Maybe, Stan...but it's still hard to explain away your 3-win conference performance.

Ah, USF. All this brings back fond memories of why we don't play them. Back in the day, we had a road game scheduled against them at the SunDome. They thought they were hot stuff, and were going to take the Mighty Gators down. A group of their students travelled to Gainesville before the game and vandalized the O'Connell Center. In the actual game, Udonis Haslem dominated and the Gators won easily. Also--and I don't remember if this was that game or a later one--knowing that the Gator game was the only one that stood a chance all season of drawing a big crowd, the Bulls structured the ticket pricing so that you couldn't buy just a ticket for that game. You had to buy a block of games. Jeremy Foley was pissed, and said that will NEVER happen again. I don't think we've played them since.

Memo to fans and admin of insignificant programs: DO NOT mess with the Gators. You'll always regret it.
  11. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Actually with Billy dropping hints about "conversations" he's had with NBA teams, maybe now would be as good a time as any to name the newly reconstructed arena after him. "The Donovan Dome."

The O'Connell Center is definitely overdue for an overhaul. I like the look of those plans except I wish the front row of the Rowdy Reptiles section was closer to the court. Also, there should be takeoff and landing ports for jet-pack wearers. C'mon it's opening in 2016. That's like the future, man.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    So guilt trip him into staying? We just named the arena after you, how could you even consider abandoning us? That just sounds sad to me.
  13. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    If it worked would you be sad about it?
  14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Foley could try getting pregnant and claiming the baby is Donovan's, but I don't think that'll work.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Pretty much the same concept, except Donovan's not screwing the athletic department (unlike certain other former coaches).
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa make perfect sense for away home games, because all are less than 2 hours away from Gainesville by bus.

The problem with designing any such facility, is quite simply utilizing input from the various interests involved. I assume that Billy D and his coaches had at least some input, but likely major boosters had more.

When things are done like that, they only rarely meet anyone's expectations.
  17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    I'm sure all of the above were consulted in the design. However, the fans were also consulted. I know this, because one of the project architects solicited my thoughts outside one of the games this past season. I surprised him with a recommendation that the project not stop at the immediate building, but that it include the entire block face, plus the Gale Lemerand drive aisles, plus the parking lot and garage in a complete overhaul, in order to create a lively urban center that students, alumni, and the public could enjoy all year. He said that that was actually close to something being considered.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    That is a great idea!
  19. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +515
    It will be better. When all is said and done we will be spending $20 million more than they did.

We just get to use their renovation as a jumping off point. From everything I've read and heard it is going to be an incredible transformation.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  20. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    If you went to a game or a show there, you would be super impressed. The video you saw was before the finishing touches were added. The place is beautiful and pretty much state of the art. Plus, like someone else wrote, the USF renovation was a good starting point, and we will incorporate their good ideas and then add our own. The renovated O Dome will be a showcase when finished. Again, why spend $50,000,000 more to replace the shell of the building, then end up with a finished product little if any better than what we will have after the renovation?