O'Dome Renovation Nearly Funded

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, May 29, 2014.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    In e update in today's Sun. Looks like they are nearly funded and are hoping to begin construction immediately after this coming season. The construction wouldn't finish until January of 2016, so we would have to play our home non-conference games in 2015-2016 in other Florida cities.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140528/ARTICLES/140529605?tc=cr
    • Like Like x 1
  2. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    It looks like the renovations will be more extensive than I thought - the interior will be completely gutted & rebuilt! Now that I've moved to Gainesville, it looks like I'll have to travel for home games, lol. Because we don't have any true home games, perhaps this will help condition the team to play better on the road. Will the team will play at one venue for multiple games & stay on the road rather than come back to Gainesville after every game?
  3. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Yeah, it is going to be a complete overhaul. A permanent ring of seats on the second level, second level concessions and concourse, a centerhung scoreboard, a new central entrance facing the Swamp. It is going to look like a completely different place.

Last thing I saw had a large entry gathering space, made me wonder if there are plans to bring over the championship trophies.
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Looks like our home schedule will be 15 games with the 6 non-conference games being played in Tampa, Jacksonville and Orlando. It could be fun if in each of those 3 venues they play 2 games in 3 days.
  5. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    I don't know that it was avoidable, but playing our non-conference home games at various sites throughout the state seems really low-rent, something that should be beneath us.
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Yeah, I sorta agree. I'm no construction expert, but it seems odd to me, if the last home game is played in March, and the first game in November, that's 7 full months of time for the renovations. They can't move the timetable up 6 weeks so the team can be in their "new" home for the start of the season?
  7. tampajack1

Ratings Received:
    +269
    There is no other arena in Gainesville. The USF Sun Dome renovation caused USF to move its home games to the downtown arena for the entire season, I believe.
  8. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    I dont know why we can't just have the games at the florida gym.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    All but gone now, turned into classrooms.
  10. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    Set a basketball court up in the corner of Florida field, the premiere program of the school shouldn't be playing home games hours from home.
  11. Crusher

Crusher Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    I'm very interested in the concept of a change to the O'Connell Center, because frankly being built as a "multi-purpose" center, it has never been very good at any one thing. As a basketball arena it is grown very long in tooth due to its weird configuration to accommodate multiple uses (indoor track, summer camps, concerts, etc.).

I've only seen the artist's rendering (1 picture), but what I see from that concept will exacerbate some of the Arena's weaknesses, particularly moving fans further away from the court and another reduction of seats in Level 1. My opinion is that the 3rd level seats are currently so bad, I won't go to a game there unless I can get in the 2nd level, Moving seats out of level 1 will push more fannies into level 2 and 3 respectively.

Another question is what happens to Indoor Track? Are we disbanding the team?

I understand that I'm only looking at one pic which is nothing more than a drawing. Have others seen plans for how the seating will change?

Lastly I wonder if the UAA is not just wasting dollars renovating the O'Dome instead of saving for a real state of the art Hoops only arena. You know the old saying: You can put a ribbon on a pig, but in the end its still just a pig.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    What is going to happen is a slightly upgraded version of what USF has done to the Sun Dome. The Sun Dome has gotten rave reviews from every source I've read. The Sun Dome, like the O Dome soon will be, was completely gutted and redone in a very deluxe way, making it a state of the art arena both in amenities and technically. Why tear down the outer walls and roof, spend an extra $50,000,000, and end up with something close to what we are getting without that extra expenditure? Take a look:

http://tbo.com/list/columns-jhenderson/usf-fans-wont-recognize-renovated-sun-dome-386045

http://www.wtsp.com/video/1598914263001/1/Renovated-USF-Sun-Dome-feels-like-whole-new-arena
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Sorry, I don't understand how not playing in an incomplete building is "low-rent." Should we play at the Gainesville Y instead?
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    I know quite a bit about construction projects. Believe me, 7 months is a breakneck pace for a project of this magnitude. I'll bet a lot of things remain unfinished by the time they start playing on it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    As I said, I understand it was probably unavoidable. But for a top 10 program that consistently competes for national championships to find itself quite literally without a home court for the non-conference season...yeah, I think it looks a little ridiculous. Not "burn down the program and salt the Earth so nothing can grow again in order to repay the humiliation" ridiculous, of course, but noticeable nonetheless.
  16. tampajack1

Ratings Received:
    +269
    IMO, it is not at all ridiculous, and in the end, it will be a huge boost for the program.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Could we dry dock an aircraft carrier in one of the cow fields?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

This is just how it works sometimes. I'm not a fan of it either but several of the proposals (including the most likely) for a Rupp renovation include UK playing elsewhere. Its just a reality and a necessary evil in some cases. Worth it in the end.
  19. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    That was only a preliminary rendering and largely based on USF's renovation. Foley said nothing is changing with the student section, so I doubt we see the seats pulled that far back from the court.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 1982Gator

1982Gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Not impressed with the usf renovation. The Florida Basketball program deserves better.

Would add more, but GC can't keep up.

Why is GC so dysfunctional to post to, it is taking several seconds for each keystroke to complete.
    Last edited: May 31, 2014