Odds the Gators will win it all are

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096
    I'll give you bama but we are as talented as lsu.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    Alabama is certainly talented but they are not an insurmountable beast, either. Oklahoma is a great team, but they shouldn't have ran Alabama out of the building (figuratively speaking here and possibly literally since 'bama was favored).

Do I think we'll beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa? I don't know, but that lack of reassurance is mostly because I am taking a "believe it when I see it" approach with our current staff. I don't think I'd ever say to someone that UF will definitely lose a game to any other team. Florida has far too much talent available to ever be out of another team's league, but they certainly need to be well coached and disciplined to win that game.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    Better than Clemson's 65-1
  4. spike718

spike718 Member

Ratings Received:
    +71
    When I was in Vegas the weekend of the super bowl the sheets listed Florida at 70-1. I loved those odds so placed a bet but it was already 50-1. So, that's what I got. Gators are always less 10-1 so I figured what the hell.
  5. keypox

keypox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    That comment is pretty much correct, but be prepared to be knocked off your high horse. You got lucky lucky lucky, expect to be the bottom of the SEC where you belong.
  6. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Come on man... Do you really know anything about RSJ? The police dropped the charges... He was called from the dorm to go pick up a buddy that was drunk. Cops started giving him crap and someone called him the N word. Then he responded and got thrown in the pokie. I guess you haven't heard of our other tackle that is taking over for Matthews and was also projected as a first rounder if he left early for the NFL??? And please, Gray would not start above Carson or Williams.
    By the way that was a typo on 2013 defense up above. I meant 2012.
    I didn't say we were a better chance for a NC either. I would take those odds as the house too. I do think we have just as good a chance of beating LSU and Bama as the gators though. Yes we lost JFF and Evans, but I think for Evans we will be fine and a different QB than JFF will have Sumlin running his offense that has worked well for years. And the last 2 years he changed it to match Johnny. Our offense will be fine.
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096

So your defense should be better this year? I'm actually curious because you went from 62nd in 12 (still giving up over 400yds) to 109th last season. I'm assuming we'll see a little drop off in your offense just because of JM leaving but I realize you guys have talent on that side. What's your record prediction for your team this year?

Was it actually proven the N word was used?
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I don't know of a recording of the use of the N word, one person's word against several others, but it would seem confirmed to me if they are dropping everything.
    I do think our defense is going to be better this year. Last year was attrocious. We started a lot of freshman last year, had no depth on the D-Line, and fought through some injuries. We have more dpeth now with Myles Garrett and Zay Henderson coming in. Both are impressive and should make an impact right away. LBers are going to be better off now with a year of physical growth and experience.
    For a prediction for the Ags this year, I think our upside will be 9-3, but I if I had to predict I would say 8-4 with a floor of 7-5. Don't get me wrong I would love to see us do better, but the West is going to be a slugfest this year with BAMA, LSU, Auburn, The good guys, and even Ole Miss on the rise. Then throw in that we open with USC. Got a tough run this year.
  9. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Not sure I am following you here on the "lucky lucky lucky" part and that we "belong" at the bottom of the SEC... I guess a couple of top 10 recruiting classes and a very successful Head Coach (historically speaking) don't count for squat anymore huh?

By the way sorry to have this thread derailed to questions about my team, I didn't come in here expecting it to turn into a talk about the Aggies. I was just putting in my thoughts on the OP. Probably could have seen that coming though in hindsight.
  10. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096
    I didn't get that statement either. You guys are in a very talent rich state and have a very good coach. I may have disliked Johnny but you guys should always be legit; especially since you're now in the SEC with the talent you get.
  11. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    You forgot to mention, we have one of the best 14 coaches in the SEC.

Our main problem is that we have a QB who cannot go through his progressions and find an open receiver. A secondary problem is that a bad OL typically doesn't turn into a championship-caliber OL in one season. Maybe Roper's offense will not require a championship QB or OL, but I'm fairly certain we aren't winning the SEC with 150 yards passing a game. I think 8-4 is the best case scenario, and 7-5 is most realistic. I'm expecting a small step backward on defense, and a big step forward on offense (#50 offense, here we come!).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096
    There's only a couple of things I see wrong with your statements.

1) horrible attempt at humor with your first comment.

2) I'm not sure how you've graded our OL yet when one, we have a new coach, and two, they barely played together as a unit last season. Also our new offense allows them to protect less with the quick release.

3) imo, if we have an offense around 50, even with a "small" step back on defense, we'll have a better record then what you stated.

I know your comments were drenched with sarcasm, and you don't seem to like someone who thinks positive, but I'd at least think your main points would hold more weight; other then the Jeff progressions comment as of now. That I agree with.
  13. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Odds will probably go higher by start of season. Vegas usually won't stick their neck out with a really big number early on. They wait and see how the fall camps shake out a bit. But definitely worth a play.
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    One of the 'most talented' teams in the SEC on what side of the ball?
    We have our 3rd OC in as many years implementing an entirely new system.
    We have the same quarterback as last year with the same problems of reading defenses and eluding a pass rush.
    We have the same linemen as last year who have the same problem of blocking their man (but not each other).

@Bama - L
    LSU - L
    S Car - L
    Ga - L
    Mizzou - L
    @FSU - L

We'll be lucky to beat Vandy and Tenn away from home.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I agree that OL and QB have to get better, but don't assume that they won't.

IMO, you assume too much from last year... a year in which we were decimated by injuries and most of our best skill position talent were true frosh.

Every team is a new team every year. Our offense will certainly be new, both in terms of scheme and healthy SEC level talent.

I'm not going to try to call specific wins and losses until I see them play the first couple of games, but I highly doubt we lose all those games.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096
    You must not follow our roster that closely. Your first mistake is comparing this years OL with last years. Injuries depleted that line last year. That's not saying they'll be great but they won't have to be in this system. This system will also benefit Driskel more. The defense will have to account for his legs just as much as his arm.

All our playmakers should thrive in this system. Get them in space, like the systems they played in in HS, and let them use their talent. The other mistake you're making is thinking the new system is complexed. It'll be an easy system for their guys to learn seeing that they have experience with it.

Feel free to count our team out if you want, but only using generic reasoning doesn't make it accurate. Imo, it makes it lazy because you are trying to use examples from a completely different offense to make your point for this season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Yeah but Tebow couldnt go through his progressions and was less accurate than Jeff and the team won a bunch of football games.

OL stays healthy it will be championship caliber but I have my doubt that it will stay healthy after last year.

Auburn averaged 170 yards passing last year and won the SEC.

Best case scenario is winning every game.
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,365
    Mistake #1 . . . you compared Driskel to Tebow. Mistake #2 . . . Auburn's run game was amazing last year (iow - can't compare ours to theirs, esp. with Malzahn masterminding their offense).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    I don't think comparisons to Tebow (who often hit deep throws with accuracy) or to Auburn's offense are in order at this point.

We will all be giddy if those comparisons are appropriate this fall.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,096
    Ok somebody help me because I'm obviously slow tonight.

Tebow 66.4% accuracy
    Driskel 62.9% accuracy

Yet Driskel is more accurate ;)
    • Like Like x 1