Octavius Jackson career ending injury.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    Another blow.

Shoulder woes apparently end Jackson's playing career

This time last year, Colquitt County’s Octavius Jackson was preparing to sign a letter of intent with the University of Florida to begin what he hoped would be a four-year career as an offensive lineman with the Gators.
    Surgery on his shoulder on Jan. 8 has ended those aspirations, but the two-year starting left tackle for the Packers football team plans to remain with the Gators as a student assistant to as much as he can so that at some point he can get into coaching.
    He said he will remain on scholarship at Florida and will continue to work on receiving his business degree.
    The 6-foot-4, 304-pounder was an All-State selection as a senior for the Packers and actually missed last year’s signing ceremony at Colquitt County High because he was on his way back from Austin, Texas, where he played in the International Bowl.
    Jackson had surgery on the labrum before his senior season at Colquitt County, and reinjured it during a practice during last season.
    Jackson had dressed with the team for all but two games and would have been red-shirted. When it was determined he would be unable to continue to play, facing the end of his career was difficult to deal with, Jackson said on Tuesday.
    “Yes, I really wanted to have an impact on this program and the school,” he said. “But I’m getting through it.”
    Jackson said a number of his coaches have been especially inspirational to him, including Packers head coach Rush Propst.
    “He’s been like a father to me,” Jackson said.
    He also named Colquitt County offensive line coach Joey Bennett, Florida head coach Will Muschamp, Florida running backs coach Brian White and former Gators offensive line coach Tim Davis as being positive influences on him.
    “Coach Davis really developed me quickly,” Jackson said.
    Propst said he expected Jackson to have a fine career at Florida.
    “I hate it for the young man,” Propst said. “We tried everything we could for him.”

http://m.moultrieobserver.com/moultrieobserv/pm_113447/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4zAilm4f
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. antny

antny Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    Torn labrums suck. Ive had two and have yet to reinjure either one yet but I imagine it would be extremely taxing for an olineman in particular to deal with.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Man this is getting real old. Between injuries and transfers its getting impossible to make any progress.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    shit
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I hate it for this kid, I really do, seems like a great young man, hope he makes the best of his situation and goes on to have a great life with that UF degree.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,854
    ................................:( (speechless)
  7. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
  8. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Had a friend in HS, signed with the Gators. He was a FB in HS but they converted him to an O-lineman. He had a recurring problem of his arm popping out off the shoulder socket, don't know if it's the same thing but he had to give up FB. He was one of those guys that just loved FB. But when they told him he could lose the use of his arm-what you gonna do.
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    So here we are a few days after signing day and we are already going to be short a full roster...it is time already to allow the staff to oversign to compete in this conference. What is the rationale of spending all this money to compete on facilities and other areas of the program yet the administration continues to self-impose these rules that cause inequality with the most important area...recruiting.
  10. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    My first thought was that this sucks butt for Octavius. I can't imagine what it would be like to work back from that kind of injury only to go down again - and this time, even worse.

My second thought was that between injuries and transfers, we are going to continue having a hard time with depth. I was already worried about the OL next year, and this isn't going to help at all. I had OJ pinned as a starter this year.
  11. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    The staff had the permission to over-sign this year, but I guess they missed on some targets and ended up not over-signing. But the permission granted to over-sign reflects a change in Machen's policy.
  12. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +845
    That's really rough for Jackson. Best of luck, kid - I think you would have been a cracking player.

That said, Once a Gator...
  13. iam4uf

iam4uf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469
    Thanks for the info. I haven't heard of a policy change, is there a source?
  14. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +547
    If that is true than it is even more shocking that our coaching staff would not oversign especially knowing this distinct possibility with OJ.
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,324
    Didn't Champ say we were down 1 on the OL? Does this mean we are down 2 now? Need to move some big bodies over from the DL or maybe even TE.
  16. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778
    We came up five players short this year in recruiting, imo. With our SEC rivals signing 6-8 more players than us every year, they gain one full recruiting class more than us every four years. This is a huge problem, and is nothing more than self imposed probation. If we are going to be on probation, let's at least buy some stars to make it worthwhile. I do not see us as having built depth, or having added enough bodies to shore up areas of need--OL in particular.
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,455
    And I really did have high hopes for him.
  18. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,405
    I hate it for the kid, I really do. We are just snake bit when it comes to injuries. It's just mind boggling.
  19. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Sorry to hear this. Best of luck to him. This is why it is important to get that college degree. Football life is short.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Aww man I feel horrible for this kid. It's good that as a consolation he is still getting the benefit of an excellent education at Florida's finest and foremost institution of higher learning.

Can a poster qualified to lay some medical knowledge on us explain why this shoulder injury is career-ending?

With all the advances in medical technology and rehabilitative therapy it's hard to understand how a shoulder injury could keep such a young player from EVER playing again, considering some of the horrific knee injuries that players have come back from. Isn't the knee a more complicated joint than the shoulder?