OC candidates

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gator_in_TX, Nov 3, 2013.

1. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,498
    Really? do people think that? that's as bad as the interview story.
  2. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    That's right. Sorry for the re-visionary history. Well, I hope they liked each other when they were on opposite sidelines. LOL.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  3. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    If we could get Holgerson, that would be amazing. He is actually pretty balanced (almost 50/50 pass/run), and he really understands offense, and more importantly, teaching it.
  4. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Mushchump needs to go before any real change is made. This is all just wanking to your medium of choice otherwise
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    If we are going to get a new OC it needs to be someone with a similar offensive philosophy not changing to the Air raid. Which probably means at NFL coach I know a lot of people hate that idea.
  6. Gator_in_TX

Gator_in_TX Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I just think this offensive philosophy is flawed and will be the doom of him. If it was that great everyone would be doing it. Even the NFL has adapted. It's not 1975 anymore. Plus, this philosophy relies way too much on the defense. There will be times when you actually need to score more than 17 points in a game to win, especially in college. I guess I am not a fan of this ball control, no-scoring offense. I can't see why you cannot have a great defense coupled with a higher octane offense. Are they really mutually exclusive?
  7. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    Not to mention, Muschamp has come out and defended his staff and doesn't feel they are the problem. Foley would have to force the change for Muschamp to fire Pease.

Regardless, I agree with many here, Muschamp is the root of the problem and we need a new HC instead of a bandaid to the problem.
  8. Gator_in_TX

Gator_in_TX Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Yes, Muschamp did say something to the effect that his staff went 11-2 last year. Well that was the worst 11-2 team I have seen. There were several games we got lucky with considering how bad that offense was. He just seem too stubborn and that will be his ultimate downfall.
  9. sgator57

sgator57 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I really hope Kevin Wilson gets fired at Indiana I think he would be a great fit. He was a big part of O.U success when he was the OC there.
  10. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Nobody else on the planet runs the offense we run.
  11. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    lol wut
  12. rmonteag

rmonteag Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    OC change and Muschamp getting an extension is the only thing that will quiet the chatter that next year is a make it or break it year for Muschamp
  13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,774
    Why all the talk about what OC to hope for or what OC would come here when we already have a good one on staff? Joker Phillips. Since he's already here, it wouldn't matter about Muschamp being on the hot seat next year. It would be at least a one-year promotion on Joker's resume, unless of course he intends to look for another job away from this mess when this season is over.
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    right
  15. dohcvtecpower

dohcvtecpower Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    I agree when joker was the OC at Kentucky they were actually competitive.
  16. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +630
    IMO he probably makes the most sense if WM is allowed to stay. I cannot imagine us making a better hire with a pitch like: "Come join our staff and be part of a make or break season."

Not many high caliber OCs would want to get on board if they perceive that Muschamp has one more year to right the ship.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  17. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    It is unclear whether Montgomery or Briles really runs the Baylor Offense. Montgomery has been with Briles for over 20 years including going all the way back to high school and I don't see Montgomery leaving to come here.

The problem we have is this.....if Muschamp is back his seat is going to be nuclear and everybody knows it. That means the commandment in year 1 is going to be win big or Muschamp and the entire staff will be fired at the end of the season. What hotshot OC is going to come here under those conditions? Exactly.

That means if he's back there are only 2 real choices at least among OC's with any kind of pedigree....I mean ANY. Either promote Joker Philips who is already on staff. He was decent though not great at Kentucky. The other option is maybe Kerwin Bell would take the job....and before anybody strokes out on me, YES, it is a very big leap from JU to UF. Still he was an OC in the Canadian Football league and a grad assistant at UF and a championship winning HS coach (remember he turned John Brantley into a star and won a state title at Ocala). Gus Malzahn went from HS coach to Offensive Coordinator in college in one move as did Guy Morris at Clemson who is now considered to be a star. Would it be high risk? Yes....both for him and for UF. OTOH, its not like we would have very many other options....and he may turn it down given the job insecurity and the fact that his son Kade is the QB for JU right now.

We are simply not going to be able to get any hotshot "sexy" OC's given the situation.
  18. bleedorangeblue

bleedorangeblue Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I totally agree with you on Joker. He already knows the current offense and verbiage. I went back and looked at his numbers while he was the OC at Kentucky and he had some pretty impressive numbers and wins during that time period. Here's the link and some of his profile from UK's website.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/phillips_joker00.html

19. slicer41

slicer41 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    How many times has a coach came out and said I know my offensive coordinator sucks but he is all I have right now. No one of course he is going to come out and say he believes in him. It's almost a sign something is going to happen. How many times has a Athletic Director or GM come out and say he has someones back and then two weeks later fires them. A bunch. So just because Will comes out and says he believes in them doesn't mean he won't fire them.
  20. UFnuts

UFnuts Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    This is correct. It's Joker or Kerwin. Nobody else worth a darn is coming for a one year make or break season with our schedule.