Obligatory post-game critiques

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by jommybabe, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Please do not begin calling for anyones jobs or benching of any players. Just provide some honest observations on how to improve the team so that we can avoid loses like this in the future.

I have feel that we have wasted opportunities for practice during the second half, and especially the forth quarter of a few games that were all wrapped up. Even if we wanted to stick with the running game, we could have given Kelvin and Hernandon opportunities for real game experience. Of course, the passing game could have benefitted as well. Waiting until you play one of your biggest games is not the time to be untested. In this game we were forced to use Kelvin due to Jones' injury. He did perform pretty well. Maybe he would have done better if we had used him more in the past. Our passing game may have also been better able to cope with pressure if they had the chance to "practice" more in real games. Maybe not, but since we lost it is fair to question the decision not to use those opportunities.

Our offensive line struggled to block LSU. They have had problems before. Humphries false starts were unacceptable. The only solution I can see as resolving this is by recruiting and waiting for the recruits to develop. It will be a stressful wait.

Murphy played pretty well. A few passes that were poorly thrown that could have changed the game. The pass protection was very porous and I find it hard to be too down on him. He also made a number of very nice plays.

The recurring question of recognition of talent by the coaches rears its ugly head. We have now used an entirely new kicker and he has hit all his field goals. They were not very challenging kicks, but he still made them. Why has it taken so many games to realize he may be our best option? Kelvin looked pretty good. Why have we waited so long to at least test him, especially when Jones looked to struggle last week. So we have three positions where the coaches have waited until the last minute to make changes (quarterback, running back, and kicker) and two of those times it was by necessity (injuries). Are they perhaps missing the boat with tour top ranked tight ends? I know they are reported to be injured, so maybe they are not an option. But the question is a fair one to ask.

Our punter needs help. This area is a big let down because he was a Ray Guy finalist last year. The drop off in production is really not good. The best punt out of UF so far this year has been from Murphy. Something is wrong with that.

Our secondary played pretty well against very good receivers. The interference calls were painful.
    Our defense was tested probably more than ever before. They played well. A couple of lapses were costly. I expect the HC to criticize them for not playing up to there level, just as he pointed out at halftime that the defense cost 7 points.

Play calling was pretty decent. THANK GOD we did not see the Trey Burton wildcat. Or, maybe that was what we should have ran. The pooch punt was brilliant.

I think we can be happy with our performance overall. The loss sucks, but it is nothing like Miami. We played a very good team and played them pretty well. Our quarterback threw no interceptions and made no fumbles. That in itself is a HUGE improvement. Especially in light of the tremendous pressure from the pass LSU rush.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    Please separate your paragraphs.
  3. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    The miscommunications between Murphy and the receivers, I think there were at least three, may not have happened if we had been using garbage time to refine our passing game. Those boring third and fourth quarters may have cost us more than just entertainment.
  4. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Our situation is not dire yet. Based on today, we still have a good chance of beating FSU, Georgia, SC, and Missouri. Georgia has been hit hard with injuries and now their confidence is shaken. They are not the same caliber team they were week one, and they still have a weak defense. Missouri is probably better than they get credit for, but they also beat a diminished Georgia making the win less impactful. SC probably benefitted from injuries WE inflicted on Arkansas, making them a weakened team. SC is not as good as LSU and if we can clean some things up we will be fine. FSU is a good team, but if we can shut down their passing game we have a good chance. We do have the secondary to do that.

We can win the rest of our games. I honestly think we will lose 1-2/4, with FSU the most likely (please do not crucify me for this blasphemy). But I still like our chances.
  5. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +679
    Paragraphs and be more concise, pls.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,048
    Agreed. I did not read it for this very reason
  7. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Our defense was again able to hold an SEC opponent to under 20 points. Victory on defense and defeat on offense. Not a surprise based on past performance. O line needs to get better.
  8. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    I'm still wondering when we start coaching for a two minute offense... We looked slow, lethargic and undisciplined at the end of the game.
  9. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +564
    Where the heck is the Boise St offense?? . .. .
  10. DuPontGator

DuPontGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    In Boise with Petersen
  11. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +717
    With Chris Peterson, where it has always been.
  12. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +340
    Does anyone know how many times we ran vs. pass on first down in the game...not including the last drive when we were down by two scores?

Also, is it me or do we take too long to get the plays in or to snap the ball. Offense has success with pace or rhythm yet we seem to never have that which leads to mistakes.
  13. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Penalties were also a factor again. They are back, and just like in previous games, they bailed out stalled/stopped drives of our opponents.
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +967
    By my count we passed 4 times on first down. But I didn't count out of how many first downs we had.

Here's the play-by play if you want to figure it out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=332850099&period=0
  15. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Mettenberger really showed some maturity by calling the time out to avoid the motion penalty. Even though Murphy is a new starter, I would not be surprised to see such an awesome call from him as well
  16. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,346
    I don't think it's our designed plays as much as it's out play calling.
  17. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Our fourth down conversions were all good calls and nicely done. We were 3/4, with the non-conversion being on the last drive and almost impossible. Fake punt was awesome.
  18. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Our punter looks better at passing than kicking. I hope this is fixed. Being so good last year, I cant imagine he continues to struggle for much longer.
  19. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Simply put, we play too close to the vest. LSU beat us at our own game today and we were unable to mount a comeback in no small part due to the coaches' unwillingness to let Murphy try and open it up. What we do if fine so long as we have the lead but when we fall behind we have to go to plan B and that has to be to let TM show us what he can do. LSU's pass rush was so good today in part because they could read what was coming on almost every play.
  20. jommybabe

jommybabe New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    We may want to hold off on blasting the play calling until our O line actually shows up. Then if the plays dont work the coaches are fair game. It's like piling on a quarterback when the receivers are dropping all their passes.