object error

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Dec 28, 2012.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    When I try to use IE 8, I soon get a dialogue box that says "Message from webpage" and the message is "object error."

I did an "object error" web search, and apparently a lot of people have had this problem and have asked how to fix it, but as far as I can tell no one seems to have a straight answer.

The others say they have to click OK in the dialogue box to proceed, but I can't even do that. No matter how many times I click OK, the dialogue box won't go away, rendering the browser inoperable. I have to go to Firefox and forget it.

There's an outfit that offers a free download called PCFixer or something that is supposed to fix the object error problem. But I don't understand why some outside source has to offer a fix for what is a Microsoft (IE) problem. As far as I can tell, Microsoft offers no help at all on this.

Does anyone know anything about it?
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Flash is probably corrupt, in web terms an object is anything that requires a plugin to run, so flash being the most popular it is liable to be the problem, download and install flash from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
  3. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    I may try Flash. The url indicates it's associated with Adobe. I've got a problem with Abode too. Could that be connected to object error?

I have Adobe Reader 8. I tried today to install Adobe Reader 11, but when it's about 90 percent installed I get a message that says Adobe 8.3 is running a file and I need to close it to complete the install. But I closed everything before trying to install Adobe Reader 11. How am I supposed to close Abode 8.3 when there's nothing open?
  4. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    Does Flash apply to one browser or all of them on a computer? In my case, why would Flash be a problem with IE but not with Firefox, which runs fine?
  5. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
  6. umcpgator

umcpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    There is one set of flash files for IE, and another set for FF. They usually reside in the Macromedia folder somewhere in your windows folder.
  7. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    Thanks, I'll update. I thought IE 8 was the latest. (I'm a computer whiz.) Ordinarily I get notices to update things all the time, but IE has told me nothing.
  8. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Let us know how you fixed the problem.
  9. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    It hasn't been fixed. I have no idea what to do. I'm going to use Firefox, and go ahead and buy a new computer.

I have found that IE 8 is the latest, by the way, for Windows XP. The newest IE is for modern-age Windows.
  10. cocodrilo

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    I may have found the culprit. I looked at the Add/Remove list in the control panel and found a program on my computer called RebateRobot for Online Shopping. I uninstalled it, and so far "object error" has not reoccurred. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.