Obesity Is Not Killing Us ...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
  2. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    You are disparaging the CDC because of one study which I have not made reference too. It seems they skewed that study but does that make obesity healthy? Are you suggesting that the list of health issues attributed to obesity is not true? You are also basing your 'new paradigm' on a single statistical analysis that goes against traditional wisdom and is not above reproach. I have already stated that I am skeptical about the study because of the snapshot quality of weight. Best of luck with your 'new paradigm', I just feel your sudden epiphany is taking you down the wrong path.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    I'm not disparaging the CDC. I am pointing out that much of the fear connected with obesity can be attributed to the studies which scary pronouncements they were forced to publicly walk back.

As it turns out, more people die from being underweight than from being morbidly obese. Neither of those extremes are safe. But why aren't we hearing about a 'skinny crisis' ?

Yes, I am saying your statistics are not true. Please read the links I posted.

Again, researchers funded by the diet industry ASSUME that correlation is causation.
  4. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267

All I can say is that at 290 I was obese and I felt like crap...and looked like crap, too. Maybe I wasn't unhealthy, but my blood pressure, GI problems, kidney issues and poor quality of life would say otherwise.

I'll take 200 over 290 even if it shortens my life. I've been obese. I feel sorry for the people that will never break out of it. When you're obese you're several months, maybe even a few years, from a normal weight. I started working out and eating healthy 2/2010. After a month of working my ass off I was still obese. After three months of working my ass off I was still obese. After six months of working my ass off I was still overweight. I'm actually still overweight, but I feel good, my clothes fit me well, and women respond well to me so I'm pretty comfy.

To respond to your previous post to me I don't have to white knuckle it to stay at 200. I've learned a ton in the past three years and can maintain 200 without much problem. Getting to 180 will take some more white knuckling which is probably why I haven't done it, but if one makes a true lifestyle change I don't think keeping it off is impossible.
  5. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    I did read your links, did you read mine? I have never shared statistics. The only link I shared is the list of medical conditions attributed to obesity directly from the CDC. That list has nothing to do with the CDC obesity mortality study cited in your links. The CDC and most everyone agrees that there are serious health conditions caused by obesity.

Do you believe these conditions occur at a higher rate in overweight and obese people?
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Again, that's your call. I'm the one person in my profession constantly reminding people that we're all going to die. I'm just not going to be a party in helping people to do something that they are highly likely to be able to maintain.

And I was just responding to your "It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life."
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    And again I am pointing out that the 'statistics' ASSUME obesity as the cause. But this has not been demonstrated.

As Mark Twain remarked, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

There is no obesity crisis. Americans are slightly heavier. They are getting older as they get heavier. As they get older they are more likely to contract the diseases associated with age. As they contract said diseases, researchers note that they are occurring in people who are getting heavier. They somehow conclude that it was the getting heavier part that caused the disease.

What happened with a former diabetic client of mine is probably typical. Her precipitous weight-gain occured *at the time of her diabetes diagnosis.* It was not likely the cause of her diabetes.

The cause was likely hereditary. Diabetes runs in her family. Aside: obese people have no more than a 6-8% risk of diabetes.

She lost weight under my tutelage. Sure enough, her blood glucose returned to normal. Her doctor was ecstatic and was able to reduce her insulin accordingly.

A few months later she had another heart attack. This is consistent with the federal study I cited which was discontinued on finding that weight loss, though helpful in reducing diabetes symptoms, does not prevent heart attacks.

But here again, my heavy client has now survived TWO heart attacks and is going strong. This is consistent with studies which show that obesity confers protection for not only diabetes but also heart attacks.
  8. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Um, you already do. Most people join gyms and then never go. Most people start a workout regimine and quit after two weeks. Most people buy running shoes, jog for a couple weeks and then wear them to the mall. Most people do not maintain a fitness program...which is what you do for a living.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    I don't understand. What do I 'already do' ?
  10. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Something that people are highly unlikely to maintain.
  11. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Good luck
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    I'm no longer doing that. In light of the research I've already publicly disavowed that strategy. And I have taken pains to check back with all my clients, former and current, to bring them up to speed on those changes.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Since 1990 American women have gained all of 14 pounds, men all of 16 pounds. And I am going to posit that almost all or all of that very modest weight gain can be attributed to:

(1) Americans getting older

(2) Americans taking all manner of drugs which cause weight-gain

(3) More and more Americans quitting smoking, which causes weight-gain

(4) Chronic dieting which can lead to weight-gain
  14. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +267
    And the proliferation of very good, very dark, very rich microbrews. :)
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Thanks, I never feel entirely comfortable with a four-point presentation anyway. I mean, who does a four-point ? It's always three or maybe five.