OBC will never stop stirring the pot!...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by brimley, Sep 5, 2013.

1. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +174

That is a bunch of crap. Machen wanted Meyer who was his guy. Foley wanted to show he could hire a up and comer like he did with Donavan and to wash out the taste of his Zook hire.

Also i remember people who didn't want Spurrier saying he was too old and would be around long like a youger Meyer.
    Seems he outlasted Meyer
  2. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Spurrier will always be the greatest Gator in this program's history for me. I love the old dude and hearing him take shots at Georgia never fails to put a smile on my face. Having said that, I doubt that we would've won our 06/08 titles if he had come back - Meyer's a snake in the grass, but the dude had some genius recruiting skills and put together an insane team here for a couple years.

but having said that too, we should always remember that SOS built the foundations of the program that Meyer inherited. Without Spurrier, UF football may never gotten to the level that it is today.
  3. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Good post.

The Old Ball Coach holds a special place in my heart, too. He is a real person. There has never been and will never be an ounce of pretense about him. He is who he is, take him or leave him.

Steve Spurrier has a truly unique personality. As you look across the sports landscape he stands out as one of a kind. Sometimes I hear one of his quotes - one of those ones that is classic, textbook SOS - and think yep, that's the Old Ball Coach that we Gators know so well. But the thing is, EVERYBODY knows that personality by now!

It's not just that we Gators (or Gamecocks) recognize his particular conversational style because we know him from being our coach. The whole country knows him, and nods along with us when one of his funny, "pot-stirring" comments makes the sports news: "Hahaha, good old Spurrier, the Old Ball Coach." He has become a NATIONAL icon.

Look at this quote:
    "You've got to realize, it's hard for Georgia to really get mad at South Carolina. They've got so many teams they're mad at or are mad at them. They almost had a fight with Vanderbilt a couple years ago, some of their coaches at least. So anyway, it's hard for them to have too many enemies. We still haven't beaten them enough for them to sort of circle South Carolina."
    I mean, can't you read that to yourself and hear in your head EXACTLY how each word sounded coming out of the HBC's mouth? The quick little conclusory, "So anyway..." So SOS.

Or how about this one, from a 2009 article I came across the other day when doing some reading about our old QB John Reaves, who has struggled with alcoholism:

Again: Can't you just hear how each word sounded? "The unmistakable voice of Steve Spurrier," the author called it. But it's not just the voice that is unmistakable, it's the words and the sentiment behind it.

In the phony sports world of cliches and coachspeak, SOS stands head and shoulders above the rest for the way he is just so completely GENUINE. And that to me is one of the most respect-worthy qualities a person can have, so he'll always have mine as long as he stays that way. And we all know he always will.

Other than Florida of course, the #1 team I root for to win an SEC and National Championship is South Carolina. I would like to see the Old Ball Coach go out on top. And I'm not going to lie: I'd like to see him go out, period! He will surely retire if and when he gets another championship.

I'd rather hear him commentating on TV than have to face him as HBC for the Gamecocks every year. For all he has accomplished with that team, for some reason I just don't see them keeping the momentum going after he leaves. We have enough tough competition as it is. I'd just as soon go back to the days of being able to pencil in a W for the USCe game every year.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,184

Simple translation: UGA is a bunch of drama queens. Love it.
  5. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    Do you ever think winning key recruiting battles like for the Pouncey Twins or Torrey Davis or Percy Harvin had a little something to do with fsu falling way down and UF rising up?

The bottom line is that Urban tended to win the big head to head recruiting battles with Bowden while Spurrier lost more of those than he won leading to him having a 5-8-1 record against them and leading to the scUMbags reeling in so much talent that they cranked out NINETEEN FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS in 4 years! Its not just blind chance that our in-state rivals got worse during Urban Meyer's tenure.
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    I was on these boards at the time (fall 2005) and there was a lot of speculation. Many said Spurrier was a done deal. These boards were truly the place to be back them- extremely active.

Then a poster who seemed to have a lot of knowledge said that Foley/ Machen were going to rig the system so that Spurrier would refuse to sign with us. This guy said they would do something so that it would look like Spurrier was turning us down, but in reality it was us rigging it so we could sign someone else.

I don't know if this was a coincidence, but subsequent events definitely bore this out. And that quote "They wanted me to interview- I told them to look in the trophy case" certainly SOUNDS like SOS. Perhaps that was how it was rigged.

Foley is the best in the business- but a guy like that doesn't really enjoy employing a loose cannon like SOS. It's not Foley's way to make waves (and he's probably right.)
  7. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    We did win the SEC title under the rules in place at the time in 1984. That was and will always be our first SEC title. Galen Hall pulled in a monster recruiting class in 1987 and a pretty good one in 1988 that left the team really stacked in 1990. We returned a helluva lot off of a Sophomore dominated team that was 21 points away from finishing the regular season undefeated in 1989 - this after losing the only experienced QB we had after game 3.

The rise of UF's program had everything to do with demographics. It happened in the mid 80's and with a slight interruption of mediocrity due to NCAA sanctions in the late 80's it has continued to be a premier program ever since. The fact that the other two major programs in the state also experienced a surge in their fortunes at almost exactly the same time shows what was really driving it - and it was not the unique irreplaceable genius of one man. Good as he was, some in our fanbase give SOS way too much credit.
  8. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Just wondering how many championships if Charlie Pell had not been dismissed and how FSU would have fared if Charlie had not been fired. We're still trying to copy Alabama with WM, just like we were copying Alabama with Pell. Hate to say it but Bama has been the dominant program of this league.
  9. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Yep...Bama in Football
    KY in BB.....Its been that way 4 ever it seems
  10. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    The 'trophy case, interview' story is one the better false Internet stories I've ever seen, it has legs almost 10 years later.
  11. tedunderhillstab

tedunderhillstab New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    this
  12. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +509
    I honestly think FSU's second team from the Spurrier years would give the FSU 1st teamers that Urban faced a lot of trouble. FSU was much better, and so was Miami, during the Spurrier era. 5-8-1 could have EASILY been 7 and 8 against the winniest team of that decade.
  13. moegator

moegator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +49
    Love the OBC but our current HC has some pretty good ones as well. I like champs quotes and he is a young one that will only get better. He has us heading in the right direction.
  14. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Easy solution! Hire SOS as chief spokesman for the football program. He does the talking. Will backs it up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Gator Country
    • Like Like x 1
  15. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Wonder how much longer SOS will continue to coach. I think no more than about 2 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    IDK but if he wins the SECC(Which IMO is what he is waiting for) he will retire right after.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    That is a bunch of croc
    Spurrier lost to one unranked team in 12 years.

Meyer lost to way more than that

Spurrier lost at home 4 times in 12 years
    2 to Fsu who went on to win the nc
    One to an undefeated auburn and one to tn
    • Like Like x 1
  18. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    There is no coach in the league that can match spurrier when it comes to gamanship.
    He is way smarter than most if not all other coaches
  19. eastowest

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Lost to ALA at home in 99
  20. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    I might be a little off it might have been 6 times at home inn12. Years

Guess what? Meyer lost more than that in 5