Obama's Malignant Pathological Narcissism

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Sep 2, 2014.

1. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    Well enough. :)

Being eminently qualified to make that observation is a dubious affair if one is not also striving to have some objectivity. His credentials are pretty meaningless without it.

OTOH, I am not all surprised or even think it extraordinary that someone who ran and is president to be at least somewhat narcissistic. After all, we are talking about the presidency. And no one need an MD to recognize the likely correlation.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    It would be quite easy to get someone else who is "eminently qualified" to completely refute what Krauthammer says. In other words, what Krauthammer says only persuades gullible people to believe Obama has narcissistic personality traits that have more of a detrimental affect than a positive one. I take his comments in context of what he is, a political commentator who gets paid to throw dirt on Obama. He's no different than a expert witness who gets paid to distort the truth. IMO, rather pathetic, to tell the truth.
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,031
    Kinda like witnesses who...(some folks)...felt were in the Zimmerman case?:p
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    Even Cheney doesn't have that sort of power, but I agree - Cheney does have issues.
  5. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +481
    Krauthammer opinion should be an anathema to the Psychiatric profession, a profession that is based on seeking the truth. He's a political commentator, ugh.
  6. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    Not to minimize your feelings, but the people who made these observations and expressed their opinions were not coerced into doing so. They did so of their own free will.

The voting public is entitled to know the moral and mental fiber of any person who places himself as a candidate for public office. Most especially an office as supremely important as POTUS. This isn't the first time a person who holds a national office has been scrutinized and found wanting. In 1972 George McGovern selected Senator Thomas Eagleton to be his running mate. It was a desperation choice. Eagleton's medical history was not adequately investigated and he was not forthcoming about his bouts of depression. He had received shock therapy on several occasions. McGovern consulted with psychiatrists, including Eagleton's own doctors, who advised him that a recurrence of Eagleton's depression was possible and could endanger the country should Eagleton become president. McGovern replaced him with Sargent Shriver on the ticket.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    The voting public has a want to know, not necessarily a right. How far should we go?
  8. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    If anyone could not recognize Obama ,from early on, of who he really is, has deficient people skills.
    Most of Obama voters could not care less of his background or personality.
    Anyone who will be the most powerful person on earth, needs to be fully vetted, including anything and everything about his past.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    If '"it would be quite easy to get someone else who is "eminently qualified" to completely refute what Krauthammer says,"' why has this not been done? Obama supplies his own evidence through countless hours of candid video where his guard is down and his true self is exposed.

We can further discuss gullibility if you wish but I think you are placing that shoe on the wrong foot. The American voting public was offered inferior products to choose from - by both the Republicans and the Democrats - the last two elections for POTUS and chose to elect the worst of the candidates.

While searching for other mental health professionals - not political commentators - who have 'observed' and publicly commented on Obama's state of mind, I came across comments from Robert W. Godwin, PhD. He's an experienced psychologist with the expertise that qualifies him to make the sort of observations pertinent to this discussion.

They were e-published on this site http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2463844/posts but I don't know when or where Godwin first made the comments.

http://www.barringtoncenter.com/experts/robert-w-godwin

http://barringtoncenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/RGodwin2.pdf
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +289
    Obama in a nutshell. How can there be any doubt? Better get the corpse dogs over to the Rose Garden.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +841
    I presume this is a response to what I wrote above:

"The voting public is entitled to know the moral and mental fiber of any person who places himself as a candidate for public office."

Sure, a discerning electorate wants to know. But more importantly, we do indeed have a right to know what sort of person is being entrusted with the responsibilities of the office.

As it's not likely necessary for the general public to know the specifics, I think the details of a traumatic event in a person's life should probably remain confidential between the person displaying personality disorders and his/her medical/mental health professional. But the public most certainly has the right to know how certain personality disorders or other mental / emotional problems might affect how a potential office holder will execute his or her duties. Oh, yeah.
  12. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +481
    It's on FNS and is all political and not worth the trouble. But it might have been some decent fodder for Jon Stewart to use to make fun of Krauthammer. After all, he dished out a psychiatric opinion while holding the position of a political commentator. I give him credit, though. He got his audience to believe that his observation has merit and is not tainted by political motivation.
  13. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    It was :)

I should probably clarify. Of course we have a right to know some things, it's in our interest and simply part of the expectation for getting hired for the job. And well, the public will decide what its rights are in this context regardless what I might think. But I question just how far we should or have a right to go. If a candidate suffered bouts of extreme depression or showed violent tendendies throughout their life, we'd probably agree that we have a right to know.

But what if that candidate suffered anxiety or anti-social personality traits as a child/teen, or that the mental health issue occurred in the immediate aftermath of losing a close loved one as an adult? Is it really our right to know such things? My overriding worry is that we are tearing down important barriers to privacy (even for public office holders) and increasingly creating an ideal that just isn't possible to achieve, and together, they have implications well beyond even running for the highest office in the land.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,688
    exactly what i said earlier in this thread. a person has to have some elements of narcissism to run for office.
    i figure that politicians and actors/entertainers equally demand narcissism as a personality trait for success.

(hmmm. what does that say about ronald reagan?)

:D
  15. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Why should it have to be done? Should Obama submit himself to psychiatric evaluation to prove to you that he is not a narcissist? Or should some 'expert' declare from afar that Obama is not a narcissist, as if that would be good enough for you? As if you wouldn't say, 'how can that guy diagnose Obama without having ever actually even spoken to him in person'?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,475
    Bumped him up to the Top 15

Presidential Narcissism

1. Lyndon Johnson

2. Theodore Roosevelt

3. Andrew Jackson

4. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

5. John Kennedy

6. Richard Nixon

7. Bill Clinton

8. Chester Arthur

9. Andrew Johnson

10. Woodrow Wilson

11. George W Bush

15. Ronald Reagan

21. Jimmy Carter

22. George Washington

26. George Herbert Walker Bush

31. Gerald Ford

32. Abraham Lincoln

33. James Garfield

34. William McKinley

35. Rutherford B. Hayes

36. James Madison

37. William Howard Taft

38. Calvin Coolidge

39. Ulysses Grant

40. Grover Cleveland

41. James Monroe

42.Millard Fillmore
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Yah the jumping onto the word "feel" is a bit much here. I could have just as easily used the word think. Let's not get into the game of over-psychoanalyzing each other's words. It doesn't end well for anybody.

The people who made these observations were not coerced to do so. That doesn't make what they said any more ethical (in fact, I would argue that it makes it less ethical).

While I also have ethical concerns about what happened to Eagleton (doctor/patient confidentiality and all of that), it is a completely different situation. He was properly diagnosed by mental health professionals. The difference between that and an opinion from a political pundit with a background (but no practice) in psychology is a pretty wide gulf. As I said, much of this seems not driven by proper mental health diagnostic procedures, but rather on attempting to label somebody with opposing political beliefs "mentally ill" in some way. And that is a grave injustice to the people who actually struggle with mental illness and is a ridiculous tactic in politics.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,394
    in my life time I think obama is in the top 3

along with LBJ and RMN
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I think what often seems like something is more or less not at all what it is. It doesn't matter what it seems like, you're essentially claiming to have knowledge from a far that multiple people, experts within their own field, are all calling him a narcissist for the purpose of political fodder. How could you presume to know that intention?

I mean, even if that's what it seems like - it's significantly more likely that the people calling him a narcissist are calling him that simply because they truly believe is, not because of some vague ulterior motive to turn the political opposition into the mentally ill. Especially Krauthammer, who while you may disagree with his views, is generally respected as a somewhat even-keeled fellow unlikely to do something so dubious as to dishonestly try to convince folks that people are mentally ill who aren't actually mentally ill.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  20. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Krauthammer can run circles around most of the rebuttals on here & that seems to be real burr under the saddles of some.
    • Agree Agree x 1