Obama's Malignant Pathological Narcissism

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    Yes, he is all those things and eminently qualified to diagnose a patient he has examined but he has not done that. He disagrees with Obama's announcement of withdrawal dates of the troops and attributes that to a psychiatric disorder. The canon of ethics for psychiatrists suggest that when questioned about a public figure a psychiatrist can give an opinion about a disorder but should not give a diagnosis.

There are several professional associations of psychiatrists and I have no knowledge of the relative merits of any of them but I found the above here: http://www.aapl.org/ethics.htm
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,788
    Well, to be fair then all here with any opinion would have to justify their credentials for having an opinion.
    Most every time, it comes down to partisanship. The sooner partisans realize that, the better.
  3. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    Yep. I don't think there is any source that could be good enough to prove that the head of this quasi-religious personality cult is a narcissist. When people are in a cult or subjugate themselves to a personality cult there is no reason or argument that is good enough to overthrow the faith that they have in their supreme leader.

That is why there is not a single person that will actually debate the merits of Dr. Vaknin's argument.
  4. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,232
    I don't know whether Obama is any more or less a narcissist than any other politician, but I doubt anyone could call such a diagnosis objective, or even very thoughtful. It's just some fella giving a talk to a Lyndon Larouche PAC.

But be careful plank, you are tying yourself up in logical fallacies.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,157
    Whose? Krauthammer's? I believe Lacuna touched on that earlier.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    I thought the thread was based on Vaknin
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,215
    The Krauthammer stuff is little more than a deflection intended to try to save a thread that was otherwise based off pure nonsense.

Chuck called Obama "a narcissist." Okay, I don't disagree, and tend to think that is a personality trait that you will find to a fair degree in nearly all political and business leaders. Vaknin, based on as best as I can tell nothing whatsoever, "diagnosed" Obama with what is, in essence, ever so slightly milder psychopathy.

While both have the word "narcissism" in them, they aren't remotely the same thing and it's not entirely honest to try to defend one wacko claim by melding it into a much more sane one (or to insist that the bizarre, extreme claim merits serious discussion because there may be some element of truth to the far more tame, sane claim).
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,697
    Now that is in poor taste, seeing as how he is paralyzed.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    Vaknin is a convicted con man with academic credentials far afield from the area he offers an opinion asserted with such absoluteness. Krauthammer arguably has the credentials, training, and expertise to make such a diagnosis of an examined patient. However,he disagrees with Obama politically and provides a psychiatric explanation for a policy decision he doesn't agree with. I happen to agree with him. I think it foolhardy to have announced the date of withdrawal but I don't attribute mental disorders to those that think otherwise.
  10. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    Agree. Vaknin seems to have no credentials other than he wrote a book in prison after being convicted of fraud. Of course, as Gatorplank touted, he's posted a bunch of videos on youtube, so he must be qualified.:D:D:D
    Krauthammer does have some qualifications, but his current job on Fox is to blast Obama for everything.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,645
    if there were ever someone so in love with their opinion, it would be the OP...so not surprising he would present this charge..

that being said, im sure all presidents need a bit of narcissism to attain the highest office, and whining about it just makes one look petty..
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,230
    I believe they are called "minions".
  13. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    You guys are funny, but predictable:
    Conservative starts a thread on a lame premise or, often, a complete falsehood.
    It's pointed out that it's a lame premise or complete falsehood.
    You cry 'Minions!!!!'
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +767
    [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,232
    CK's eminent credentials cannot overcome the context in which he made these comments, not to mention, if this were a diagnosis, it raises a few ethical quandaries.

CK also wasn't a practicing psychiatrist who was earnestly and objectively diagnosing a patient in order to help that person, he was a partisan political writer, appearing on a highly partisan political show, often criticizing this politician precisely because said politician prefers policies differing from which he supports. His subjectivity is central to his claim.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  16. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +767
    The word diagnosis was poorly chosen on my part. Were I to rewrite the post I would use either determination or observation, as in his academic credentials and training in psychiatry leave him eminently qualified to correctly make the observation he made.
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    you really think his observation is based strictly on his psychiatric training and not at all on politics?
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +767
    What I think is immaterial to what Krauthammer thinks and his reasons for thinking what he thinks.

I posted the videos earlier as evidence Vaknin isn't the only person who thinks Obama a narcissist. Even Christopher Hitchens thinks Obama is a "Megalomaniac Narcissist."

19. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,568
    If Obama is a megalomaniac narcissist, Dick Cheney is the Emperor from Star Wars.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +808
    Honestly, this largely strikes me as trying to turn political differences into mental health problems. I feel that is an injustice not just to our political system, but also to the mental health profession, as to a large extent it minimizes their work and the suffering of those who have these disorders.
    • Agree Agree x 3