Obama to speak at Lincoln Memorial at 2:45 Wednesdy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Part of the march on Washington commemoration and will be a historic moment as one who stands as President on MLK's shoulders will address it's meaning.

"A president who often shies away from talking about race is set to deliver his own speech on Wednesday from the Lincoln Memorial. One thing he knew, he said, was that he could not fill Dr. King’s shoes. “He was discouraging us from comparing him to Dr. King,” said the Rev. Alvin Love of Chicago, one of the preachers who were there.

For Mr. Obama, Dr. King has been an idol, role model and burden since he assumed the presidency. He keeps a bust of the civil rights leader in the Oval Office along with a framed program from the 1963 march, and some of his favorite lines have been adopted from Dr. King. But as the nation’s first black president, Mr. Obama has found that no matter how much supporters may want to compare them, he cannot be a latter-day Dr. King...."​

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/28/u...ot-preacher-but-speaking-more-on-race.html?hp
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,626
    A President who often *what*?
  3. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,039
    No kidding....talk about laughable ass kissing...."shies away from talking about race". :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  4. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    See Cornell West thread (other righties seem to love it) and Tavis Smiley.
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    So it wasn't until he became President that he found MLKJr. to be a role model and idol?

Are there that many people out there really and genuinely comparing the two?

The interesting thing about Obama giving speeches about being black in America is that his life and personal experience is unlike 99.9% of how most black Americans live and grew up. It seems to me he has pretty little in common with most blacks other than some similar ancestry.
  6. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Why do you think he didn't emulate MLK earlier in his life? He chose to work helping poor people in a black ghetto with his shiny new Harvard Law degree instead of cashing in on Wall Street or wherever else he might have.

His experience as a multi-racial American, as well as one who lived overseas as a young person, gives him a unique perspective on how we view each other and a point from which to empathize with both major US races, as he has in his Philadelphia address during the 2008 campaign and as he did recently in his WH comments on the TM case.
  7. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    He will do his broken record speech trying to sell Obamacare.
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,854
    something about Nero fiddling and Rome burning comes to mind everytime I hear that 0 is going to deliver another speech.
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Obama actually noted recently - accurately I think as it is clear from MLK's program - that he would have been happy with the passage of Obamacare.
  10. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Yeah, since this is obviously - apologies to Pangloss - the worst of all possible times and we are in full scale crisis mode that make the recent crash and WWII seem like non-events in comparison.
  12. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    "For Mr. Obama, Dr. King has been an idol, role model and burden since he assumed the presidency." To me that implies that he wasn't an idol, role model, or "burden" before he assumed Presidency. Perhaps it's poorly worded, but that's my interpretation.

Yes, a "unique" perspective is really neat and all for him, however, 98% of blacks in this country have no relation to that kind of lifestyle or perspective. World-travelers are neat, and generally can be interesting, but also have a tendency to have less of a precise view of specific places as opposed to a general view of the world as whole. Considering we're talking about a specific group of people with situations specifically unique to this country, I don't see how his experiences are going to help those people, or how any of them even feel like they could personally relate with him.

He wasn't growing up in the ghetto without a Father, he didn't live in an apartment complex with drug-dealers as neighbors, he didn't have parents struggling to provide basic things like food and clothing. A lot of people within the black community in our country have experienced those things and I believe that's the life-experience for many black people in America. Considering those are the people that a lot of these discussions are about, I just don't see how he has any real connection to them outside out of similar ancestral background.

I mentioned in another thread, I think a large portion of the black community has built the foundation of their identities on skin color, so I think to many of them, that's really enough unfortunately.
  13. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    ??? He spent years working in a black ghetto helping poor people. That's not enough experience of their lives to understand them? Really?

Your last comment is lacking in any understanding of what it is like to walk in another's shoes. Their experience of America is not the same as yours and mine, much as we - and they - would want it to be. You have to be willfully blind to not get this.
  14. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    River - Obama did say that MLK would be in favor of Obamacare. He basically took a historic day and continued to try and sell something that very few wanted by speaking on behalf of somebody who cannot speak for themself. Do you want Obamacare? Can you actually admit it if you don't want it?
  15. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Look at MLK's agenda - even if only for the Poor people's March on Washington set for about a month after he died - and see if you think he'd have a problem with Obamacare, besides for it not going far enough.
  16. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887

That's funny stuff!
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    He spent years working in a black ghetto helping the poor? Thousands of white people have done this as well, does that give them the same understanding of these black folks that Obama has? Clearly working in ghetto now enables one to fully relate to those who actually grew up in the ghetto. My whole point is that I find it a little strange that man feels such a strong relation to a lifestyle in America that he only knows as an outsider, or really, just about as much as any white person. Obama has lived a pretty privileged life. I believe Obama has more in common with the zealously sympathetic white liberals who blame mostly everything on a massive system failure than he does with the common black American male.

I don't know what it's like? You don't really know much about me, how would you have any idea if I knew what it was like. If I don't know what it was like, then clearly you don't either, and have no authority to tell anyone else that they wouldn't know, because you yourself don't know. I didn't grow up in the ghetto, but as I've mentioned in other threads, I did spend the first 18 years of my life attending schools where whites were the minority. This doesn't make me an expert on anything, however, I've spent a lot of time around minorities, essentially growing up with them, I think I have some idea.
  18. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,039
    Give it up guys...Hussein's supporters are so blindly "far up and in", they haven't seen sunshine in years. They are going to defend Hussein to the bitter end--regardless of what end that may be....Obama's last day in office, or the last day this country resembles what it USED to be.

Spin and defend...it is ALL they know or can do. Stop wasting time or energy on the libs...they aren't worth it, and they certainly will NEVER admit what a fraud and incompetent he is. Never.
  19. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'm sorry that you can't acknowledge the fact that someone - white or black - who spent years working with people on their turf would not have knowledge and empathy beyond the average Joe Blow who hadn't, but especially one who was also was black and treated as one who wasn't would be. That is simply incorrect on your part and obviously so.

I didn't claim to know what it was like to be black and so would refrain from pretending I did enough to advise them on how to act as you did up thread.
  20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    I'm either not doing a good enough job explaining myself or you're misinterpreting. Clearly -- when working with the impoverished, spending time with them helps to achieve a sort of understanding, and tunes your ability to empathize with those people as well. I think that it is obvious for anyone, however, my point is - Just because Obama happens to have black skin, doesn't necessarily make him instantly relatable to anyone with black skin. He didn't grow up the same as these people, in fact, he didn't grow up like most people in general in our country. As I said before, the guy has lived a pretty nice and privileged life compared to probably 95% of our country. This doesn't mean he can't empathize, or can't have some sort of understanding -- but you paint it as if just because he has black skin he inherently has some internal understanding of these people, even though he grew up and spent his entire life in an entirely different way.

How exactly did I advise black people how to act?