Obama Says Racial Animus Blunts Approval, New Yorker Reports

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +501
    Ahhhhh yes.... it's racism.... Of course.... If we weren't all racists it would be fine that obamacare is destroying our healthcare system...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...us-may-soften-support-new-yorker-reports.html

President Barack Obama said that racial tensions may have softened his popularity among white voters within the last two years, according to a story posted on the New Yorker magazine’s website today.

“There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black president,” Obama said in the article by David Remnick, appearing in the magazine’s Jan. 27 edition.

“Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because I’m a black president,” Obama said in his most direct comments on how race has affected his political standing since he’s been in office.

“Poll after poll makes it very clear that Obamacare and other job-killing policies are the reason” for the president’s decline in popularity, Republican National Committee spokesman Sean Spicer said in a phone interview today.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +874
    Indeed... I mean, it couldn't POSSIBLY be the fact that he has been the most inept and aloof president in history..
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +928
    He's absolutely right, of course.
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. oaklandroadie

oaklandroadie Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +127
    Guess that racial animus was asleep the first 4+ years of the Obama Presidency, huh?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +928
    No, there has always been some. I think as any presidency goes on, the negative forces that work against it start to take hold in many forms.
  6. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Fred and Obama are both correct. Obama is a master at saying something that factually is true while implying something much bigger and/or different. (Sadly, the best politicians are good at doing this type of deflection.)

What he said: “There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black president,” Obama said in the article by David Remnick, appearing in the magazine’s Jan. 27 edition.

Okay, if there are two people in the 300+ million in the USA who "really dislike Obama because they don’t like the idea of a black president;" then, his statement is TRUE. And, I believe there are at least 2. What the statement and article (Racial Animus) imply is:
    1. The majority who doesn't support the President are racists.
    2. Republicans by and large do not support the President; ergo
    3. Republicans are racists.

He never says "Red States, their politicians and the people who elected them are racists and deserve to be shunned, ignored and/or ostracized from reasonable debate;" yet, that is certainly what is implied. He is a wonderful unifier, leader; and, and all around wonderful President - in other words, I haven't filed my taxes yet. :rolleyes:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,578
    Ladies and gentlemen... the 44th President of the United States...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Great analysis. Sometimes you just have to look at what was actually said.

I have no doubt some amount of racism is out there against Obama, just like there would be for a white President as well(We all realize there aren't only white people who are racists, right?). There will always be some people who view their lives through the scope of race. Like you said though, I very seriously doubt any kind of idea that suggests the majority of people who are disagreeing with Obama's leadership are doing so because he's black. It's just so intellectually dishonest, in my opinion - it's like, in some of the left's minds, it's just simply unfeasible that Obama could be a bad President, it's just not even a possibility. It has to be something else, like racism.
  9. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +928
    I think the core of what he was saying is along the lines of "there were voters who weren't sure but gave this black president a chance and now they feel like they made the wrong decision." For those voters, there is a racial element to their negative views.
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +958
    Actually, it's not, but if you had bothered to read the article you'd realize it wasn't the blanket statement the OP would have us believe. THAT would have been the counterpoint to the OP, but once again you eschew that for a nonsensical one liner.

Bravo!
  11. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,534
    typical liberal - cannot fathom it is his policies so all he has to play is the race card
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    There were many voters and the media who gave Obama and his campaign rhetoric a pass because of his race. Many voters wanted to make "history" by voting for the first AA prez. He was slick, sharp, articulate. Unfortunately his policies prolonged the recession, destroyed our work in Iraq, gave the playbook to the Taliban and damaged relations and trust with our allies. And none of his actions have anything to do with color and everything to do with failed policy and ideology.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,273
    You're half right. Many non-black voters were willing to give him a chance, even twice, but they found out the hard way that Obama is a divider/hater with zero plan to create jobs... But what could they expect from a professional, extortionist/community organizer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,534

the only voting block that I see where race was the major deciding factor and still is a factor in their undying support of prezBO was the black vote
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I think his election and our media's love affair with him is a pretty great example at how ill a lot of our society is. Most people just really don't even want substance. Looks good? Feels good? Sounds good? I want it, doesn't matter whether it actually is good. Fleeting? Absolutely, still want it.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Quoting part of what fredsanford said: "I think the core of what he was saying is along the lines of...."
    See? Even devoted followers are left to ponder the meaning of what the President says. He's smart enough to say things that allows the meaning to be unclear, unsure and debatable. Therefore, he can never be pinned down. A good example is the speech shortly after the Benghazi attack and the subsequent protection by Candy Crowley during the second debate. In his speech Obama mentioned the word "terrorism; " yet, as Romney correctly pointed out, he did not call the attack a terrorist attack.

It would be like Will Muschamp being asked "You've spoke for 30 minutes about defense and special teams, why don't you talk about scoring points when you have the ball?"
    Will Muschamp: "That's the end of the interview, I take offense to that statement!"
    Romney: "Will Muschamp never spoke about the offense"
    Crowley: "Oh, no you're wrong, he clearly did discuss 'offense' ".

"Insincerity is the enemy of clear language" - George Orwell.
  18. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +468
    Funny, I don't recall being asked in a government-funded poll if my vote against him was racially motivated.
  19. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +928
    Sounds exactly like the media's role in 2000. "Compassionate conservatism," yeah, right.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  20. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +7,534
    geez louise shab
    • Funny Funny x 1