Obama needs a new diversion-Syria screwed up

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

With Obama having stuck his foot in his mouth by drawing a red line in the sand in Syria, the drums are beating world wide for action following Syria's chemical attack on his own people. Congressional leaders on both sides are united that "some" action is necessary for our credibility in the region and world. The French, British and others are building a coalition and inviting us to join. (I guess the French are now the world's super power) So Hussein is backed into a corner looking like a big ole "wuss" if he doesn't do something. So does he lob a few cruise missiles or bring in long range bombers or a combination of the two. Can he find a "legal" angle he likes to assuage those on the left that would prefer a "summit and hand holding session" around a camp fire?

The silver lining....takes the media's attention off health care pricing just as the piper needs to be paid for the Obamacare mess. And it didn't take a "phony" scandal to do it. Just 500 people gassed after 80,000-100,000 Syrians had lost their lives as a result of the Assad regime.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    And if you consider it "brave" to send American men to their potential deaths, I don't think you understand bravery. There's nothing impressive about any politician giving the order for some 18 year old to risk everything for us. Let's stop treating it like that.

If a man *does* make that call, he'd better make damned sure it's being done for the right reason and against the right people, particularly given our history on that matter.
  4. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Obob

While I agree with you,I think the problem here is that our President drew a lone in the sand. Remember. He threw the challenge out there. Now the question is what do we do? I would wager most on this site do not want war. Even the repubs, but most realize that Obama has put us into a corner. Do nothing...lose face around the world. Do something...endanger our men women for a cause that has nothing to do with us.

It was irresponsible of the President to throw that challenge out there. Now he has tocome up with some type of answer and it is da#$ if you do Da#% if you don't.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yep. And I've said that was a stupid, stupid move but for reasons other than this.

The first thing should be to find out that Assad's stockpiles have not been compromised at all. Pinpoint the source of the attack - definitively - and then work within the UN response. His "line in the sand" is technically the same as International Law's.

We can't do another Iraq. It will absolutely wreck this country. Go on our own and we've got a new proxy war with Russia and spend a decade rebuilding Syria (and probably arming al Qaeda in the process).

At some point we need to stop the partisan cowboy attitude and learn from our mistakes. We've done this rodeo before - it has not turned out well.
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    The solution is not to go to war, but to remember the amateurishness of this administration and hold both parties accountable to give us better choices than the absolute crap-fest we have had to choose from the past 3 or 4 elections.
  7. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I certainly don't want a war. Obama drew the line and that was dumb. Just like his surge in Afghanistan when he also gave the opposition our "pull out date" and cut the # of troops requested in half. Or when he withdrew all our troops from Iraq, leaving behind nothing but American blood.

We are learning again, Community Organizing is not the best career path or preparation to be POTUS.

IMHO- Since Syria and the world now expects us to take military action against airfields, command and control facilities or weapons stockpile, how about doing the unexpected and don't give them our playbook.

Like perhaps cutting off their access to selling oil? Or freezing them out of the banking system. I'm not well versed on our options but do something they do not expect.

Then again, he could shoot cruise missiles at all of Assad's known residences, which was my original suggestion a few weeks ago. We have no beef with the Syrian military or their people. Our beef is with Assad. A Harpoon missile up his behind may work.
  8. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    There are no decent options, that much we know. And this country is tired of war...except of course for the chicken hawks. Though I don't think it was irresponsible to draw a line in the first place. There has for decades been real pressure about stopping countries from using chemical weapons on their own people, so even had he never uttered a word about a line being crossed, the pressure would still be there regardless...from the outset with Syria, it was damned if you do/don't.
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    How about just keeping his trap shut and not giving the play book to the opposition? That would be a good option wouldn't it?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,310
    That's what I was getting at in my post. He's like my 18 year old daughter who feels the need to provide an instant reply of some sort. Except she's not running the country.
  11. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    And if he did, you and/or your compadres would be whinin' about him covering up information.

Here's the thing, whatever is in the playbook is already pretty much known. Anything really secret isn't going to be discussed anyway.
  12. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    So. Obama prove that he is unqualified to hold this office... Again.

Obama opened his big mouth and made a threat, for purely political reasons, that he had no intention of backing up.

Now, his back is against the wall.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I think he WILL back it up, honestly.

But drawing that line was stupid because it said to Al Qaeda "hey, here's how to get our attention and assistance." Now we have to go through a ton of due diligence to make sure we don't arm Al Qaeda backed rebel forces and we probably will anyway.

Terrorists have been playing us like a fiddle for decades and we never seem to learn.
  14. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Football teams know our plays also. But we don't tell them what we are going to do on 3rd and 5. Obama keeps doing this. Why?

No huddle, quick snap, run the pre-set play before the other team can substitute.
  15. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,020
    It's not a matter of learning anything. Our foes don't play by the rules. We do.
  16. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    What is he telling them, exactly?

In any case, I think we all agree it's complicated, but it always was going to be with Assad.

Interesting public opinion on this.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Except that they're doing the exact same things they've done before. This is the Afghan blueprint to a T.
  18. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    jdr, you do not draw lines in the sand "publically". You do not tell the opposition your troop withdrawal date as you announce a new "surge". Why does he do these things?

These are tactics he used as a community organizer..."If you do not donate money to my organization, we are going to organize a boycott of your business."
  19. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    I see two problems.

1. No one is scared of the USA any more. Well, that may not be a problem exactly, but it is when we want to use bluster and threats to achieve a peaceful goal. And no, I do not blame this on Obama's "apology" tour. I see it as a result of globalization. WE do not want to act on our own and the world knows it. The more we lean on other countries for support, the less likely we are to do any real damage to a renegade country. Ido not want us to be the world police. AT ALL. But if we say we will do something, if we HAVE to do something then I want us to do it quickly, with devastating results, so there is no question of the outcome or it being drawn out.

2.Politicians are more worried about re-election than they are our country. Then again most in this country are more worried about themselves than they are our country. Obama felt he had to say SOMETHING... at least politically. Unfortunately, instead of taking a neutral stance, instead of vague generalities (which would have had some negative backlash I know) Obama went with the hard line drawing line in the sand. It sounded strong. It sounded tough. But what now? With other countries no scared of us....no one was taking this seriously. So now our elected jokes of leaders (all of them) will decide based upon what is best for them POLITICALLY. And the rest of us? WE ARE SCREWED.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    What are you basing this on, exactly?