Obama Gives Muslim Nation $195,000,000 For Muslim Holiday

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

The middle east is burning anyway, why not speed up the process and bring real peace to the middle east.
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Hussein is NOT MUSLIM..... :ninja:
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

While we're at it, how about some poverty bombs to kill all the people on welfare?
  4. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Rather than "help[ing] out Obama's Muslim friends" we should just invade Syria. If there is anything we've learned from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's that it's the most cost effective way to solve a problem in another country.
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

So all the people on welfare are black?

With each post, this conversation keeps getting more and more interesting.
  7. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Actually I (and quite a few on here) have no problem helping those who (a) ACTUALLY need it, (b) are willing to work/help themselves to improve their situation. It's the ones who are fleecing the system, the illegals that fall through the cracks and get benefits they've neither earned nor deserve, the ones who on purpose don't work just to get disability that I have a problem with. If it makes liberals feel better to then vilify someone for saying that, go ahead. Public assistance should be THAT - ASSISTANCE. Not a permanent status or a quasi-job, not a status symbol like it is to some people.

Again, the US has no business sending money elsewhere when there's so many here in the US that need the help. Look at the number of families working multiple jobs without benefits, the status of school districts across the country, the state of the country's infrastructure, the payments on current debt the country can't pay....it's like someone who is facing foreclosure on their house giving away all their money to someone else who's losing their house. It makes no sense.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Or we could just leave Syria alone and focus on our own problems. I didn't and still don't support Iraq or Afghan wars. I dont support getting inolved with Syria in any way, especially arming the FSA terrorists.
    icequeen likes this.
  9. Row6

Row6 New Member

I disagree with those saying we can't give money to people who are actually freaking starving or in medical need. We'll never "get our stuff in order" by some people's definition. Put it on the card with the bombers and tanks and do the right thing.
  10. icequeen

There are plenty of people here who fit that definition...and there will always be someone who is "actually freaking starving or in medical need." Guess what? You give to enough people like that you'll be the next one in that position, and then who will help you?

The card right now is completely maxed out. But if you're that adamant about it, then take the foreign aid to Israel and other "well off" places and give it to those who are in greater "need". This way it's just using money that's already being allocated to foreign aid and not adding on a debt.

But I'm sure someone will scream about that one, too.
  11. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Reading through my copy of The Constitution here...trying to find where this would fit in?
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

The card is not completely maxed out, and no, there are very few if any in America in the situation that refugees in Syria are in. Maybe somebody who was just in an accident and is still on the highway, but they probably still have a home. Do the right thing and quit making excuses which will always be there.
  13. gatorchamps0607

What exactly is your definition of "maxed out"?
  14. Row6

Row6 New Member

"Maxed out" is when you can't borrow any more money. We are not even close to that situation.
  15. gatorchamps0607

Wow.
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

far out.
  17. Row6

Row6 New Member

"Statement by the President on the Occasion of Eid al-Fitr

Michelle and I send our warmest greetings to Muslims celebrating Eid al-Fitr here in the United States and around the world. During the past month, Muslims have honored their faith through prayer and service, fasting and time spent with loved ones. At this year’s White House Iftar, I was proud to spend time with some of the many American Muslims whose contributions enrich our democracy and strengthen our economy. Many of us have had the opportunity to break fast with our Muslim friends and colleagues—a tradition that reminds us to be grateful for our blessings and to show compassion to the less fortunate among us, including millions of Syrians who spent Ramadan displaced from their homes, their families, and their loved ones. To help the many Syrians in need this Eid al-Fitr, the United States is providing an additional $195 million in food aid and other humanitarian aid, bringing our humanitarian contribution to the Syrian people to over $1 billion since the crisis began. For millions of Americans, Eid is part of a great tapestry of America’s many traditions, and I wish all Muslims a blessed and joyful celebration. Eid Mubarak."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/07/statement-president-occasion-eid-al-fitr

I'll drink to that!
  18. gatorchamps0607

Exactly what I was thinking.
  19. icequeen

There are refugees all over Africa, too, and in other places throughout the world. Look up the poorest countries online and the top 10 - all in Africa. Congo - GDP of $348 per capita.

I do see where the UN is asking for help from everyone to the tune of about 5 billion dollars, so at least this burden is going to be shared, but nations cannot be cavalier about their resources. Again, if your opinion (and you're entitled to it) is that we should help those who are most in need, then by all means remove the foreign aid to other countries that are better off and apply it to the Syrians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

Israel receives the second largest amount of foreign aid behind Afghanistan (I'm sure this table has changed recently but it's what I could find). Send the weapons they need (by now they should have enough and they should be building their own stuff anyways) but then turn around and use the economic aid towards Syria.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Do you know that the aid to the Syrians was not already in our foreign aid budget? The assumption seems to be that this is added burden not foreseen in the budget - is that true? If it's not then it is no different than any other budget item in terms of our "borrowing".

As to Israel and other countries receiving foreign aid, while Israel especially may be getting more because of a powerful domestic lobby - and I'm not saying they are. I don't know - in general we buy influence and extend our power by these types of aid, which are often militarily. Hopefully we get consideration and deference in the countries policy, though Netanyahu makes more demands than concessions to us. The principle is the same - we are buying something with the aid and hopefully receive fair value in exchange and less lost American lives overseas, or oil, or whatever we want.