1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Obama approval rating still about twice that of congressional GOP

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Aug 23, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    rebuttal to PR spin cons have been posting about Obama. Bottom line---Obama still was ahead of both Dems and GOP in congress

approval of congressional GOP
    7/28-31 2013---most recent
    approve-----24%
    disapprove--66%
    unsure------9%

approval of congressional Dems
    http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm
    8/3-5 2013----most recent
    approve-----32%
    disapprove--60%
    unsure------9%

both of the above are at lows and have been sliding for a long, long time
    http://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html
    7/28 - 8/21---most recent RCP avg
    approve-----44.7%
    disapprove--50.3%
  2. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    old, you may have worked in nursing too long. Perhaps being around some of those potent drugs.

Defending Obama is a losing proposition. Cut your losses and start speculating about the demo chances to hold the senate or who the next nominee will be in 2016. Nobody is paying attention to Obama at this point. He couldn't get anything passed if he wanted to. He is riding out the next 3 years, will jet around on AF 1, play with his kids, play with Bo and Sunny, play a lot of golf, sign a book deal and that is all fine.

He is Mr. Irrelevant and even those in his own party will not want him in their districts (except Nancy Pelosi) in the midterms. He has become toxic. Sure the mooch class will still love him and the libbie elites will still pine and get tingly but Barak is done. Stick a fork in him.
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    defending cons/GOP is a far worse proposition.

I notice you did not even mention GOP low, low, low approval ratings in your response....proving that GOP is indefensible even by you
  4. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Old, when demos controlled the Senate (oh wait, they do) and when they controlled the house (for two years) congressional approval was also low...AS A GROUP.

Responding to polls most of us say things like "Congress is not worth a damn" or "Congress never gets anything done" but most of us like our "own" congressional reps and we make fun of the other side.

Like in Jax, Ander Crenshaw is our rep but on the other side of town, you have Corrine "gogata" Brown. And down in So Florida you have Debbie Wasserman Schultz (the flamethrower). In California pubs have terrific representatives in the House...and then Californians also have Nancy Pelosi.
  5. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,814
    If you werent being completely biased and intellectually dishonest you would point to the fact that nearly 2/3 disapprove of congress period, regardless of party affiliation.

Instead, its Go Team Dems! We're number one!
  6. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    Can't believe i allign with Old on a post, but he is 100% correct.

Potus is what he is, but he caters to his base and is invested 100% in winning. The GOP leadership is weak, rudderless, pisses on its base, and does everything in its power to "try not to lose." The GOP is red headed step child to Potus. It is not even a fight.

Most people either vote for or vote against the DEMS. I know very few who are voting for the GOP, its candidates, and what it is soft pedaling.

Youe might not like what the DEMS stand for or its policies... But they stand. The GOP stands for nothing. Boehner, Mitch McConnel, McCain, et al, cower...
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,158
    Agree that Republicans can't quite figure out what they stand for these days, other than whatever Obama is for, they're against. Even if they were for it a couple of years earlier.
    But disagree about the voting. While many people voted for Obama, just as many voted against Romney.
    I suspect that at least half the votes cast in any president election recently (and maybe always,I don't know) are as much against the other party as it is for the party you voted for.
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Evidently you are being dishonest in your above statement. As demonstrated in my OP I posted the low approval ratings of BOTH Dem and GOP portions of Congress. And that Obama's approval rating is higher than both Congressional Dems and Congressional GOP.

The pollls clearly show
    approval of Obama============ 44.7%
    approval of Congressional Dems===32%
    approval of Congressional GOP====24%

how do you defend, rationalize, excuse the very, very, very low approval ratings of Congressional GOP. Lower than Obama by 20%, and lower than Congressional Dems by 8%

what accounts for the very low ratings of Congressional GOP?

I'd say the #1 reason for the very low approval rating of Congressional GOP was of their own doing about 5 years ago...When GOP members of Congress vowed to be obstuctionist. In essence, GOP labelled itself as unwilling to play or work with others.

Seems the thing that is costing approval ratings of Obama, Congressional Dems, and Congressional GOP is among moderates and independents. The base of each party would likely go on approving their politicians and disapproving opposing party politicians NO MATTER what. So what is basic difference between how GOP is perceived by moderates and independents AND how moderates/independents view Obama/Dems? Most likely it is the GOP itself saying it would be obstructionist and not compromising in creating legislation.

By declaring itself obstructionist, the GOP cast itself in a positive light among its base....but in a negative light to both Dems and moderates/independents.
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    old, do not think that pubs are counting on getting votes of people like yourself, river, row, fred, 108, 996 any time soon. I would suggest those of you on the left worry about holding on to Senate seats and House seats in 2014. Because me thinkee that even with "old tired leadership" in the House and Senate on the Pub side, Obamacare will scare some pubs and independents into voting.
  10. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    The simple fact here is people that rate the President and rate congress are quite different. It makes no difference what the President does if you voted for him you like him so you give him a high rating. I personally give congress a low rating because they are so ineffective even though I voted for one. This is like comparing how much you like your basketball coach at Kentucky to the football team.
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,715

What purpose does this post serve, especially when everyone on this board knows Obama has the liberal media as his own pack of personal cheerleaders? Is this statistic any surprise to anyone? :roll:
  12. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    except for the following----had the GOP not declared itself obstructionist and worked in good faith towards compromise solutions, I would agree with you. However much moderates/independents may be scared by Obamacare. IMO moderates/indpendents are even more 'scared' by obstructionist attitude of GOP. America's periods of thriving, growth, etc were accomplished not via obstructionism, partisanship, etc....but thru attitude(and practice) of cooperation for the common good of the people and for the country as a whole. In essence, the GOP attitude of obstuctionism is an attitude likely to rub moderates/independents the wrong way.

Obstructionism is common in American politics....But what a party is wise to do is not come out and declare itself as 'obstructionist even if it harms America/Americans'. GOP did that and will pay for that for quite a while. And most likely, the only thing that can change that perception among Americans is for GOP to meet Dems halfway in truth/reality rather than rhetoric. Until GOP is no longer acting like spoiled spoilers the perception of GOP by moderates/independents will likely to generate lower and lower approval ratings of GOP
  13. ncgatr1

ncgatr1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +883
    Shows how brain dead this Country is.
  14. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,814
    For therecord while the numbers are very close they only reflect who sucks the least.

If you are satisfied with the level of performance then there is no helping you.
  15. Gatoragman

Gatoragman VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +56
    What's really funny is how you boast of the Obama and his approval over Congress, yet if you go back in time, the most hated President by you Dems had close to the same percentage approval gap that the Obama does.
    Funny how that is good now but Bush was the worst!!!!
  16. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +984
    My wife and I thank God daily that the pubs have been obstructionist. Since we have a daughter married to a Navy pilot, we need pubs protecting a strong, well equipped military. Since we are at $17 T in debt with $6.5 T added by the regime, we are thankful we have leaders "just saying no" to more frivolous, wasteful spending. Since we've added 20 M to food stamp roles, and several million more to our SSD roles, we are thankful that some of our representatives are fighting to make sure taxpayers are not being ripped off.

Thank God for those who will block this President from totally destroying this country.
  17. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,100
    Hard to take stock in a poll that adds up to 101%

18. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    This is something to be proud of?
  19. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,977
    It's the new math. :laugh:
  20. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    blah, blah, blah....

you might care to look into how much corporations that make weapons, etc for the military rip off you and I.

Your assumption that paying more for corporations to make stuff for the military makes for a strong military is not necessarily so.
    1. your tax dollars going to corporations doesn't always mean that the military is getting its money worth
    2. Much of pentagon leadership for years(including prior to Obama) did not/does not want much of what GOP in Congress is trying to legislate the corporations to make for the military. As to why Congressmen pass bills for weapons military does not want....simple..Jobs in the politicians home district. Great for his district, not so great for the military which may be better off if money spent for other things for the military.

I am in agreement with you that food stamp programs include a lot of fraud. But don't con yourself that there isn't fraud in munitions corporations associations with politicians(both GOP and Dem).

Finally, though i never served in military, I did fight alongside the U.S. military in foreign countries. Myself and others work and fight alongside our military in foreign countries without the recognition that military receive. In fact, some con posters are of the attitude that only military are patriots.

so save your flag waving for those impressed with it.