Obama’s War on Prosperity and His Major Constituencies

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jun 27, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    I don't think obama's contituencies can be defined any better than this...

http://spectator.org/archives/2013/06/27/obamas-war-on-prosperity

So what is going on here? Why is President Obama so utterly unconcerned about economics, so blasé about unemployment, so absorbed with tales about the coming environment apocalypse? Well, here’s my analysis.

President Obama has managed to win election by assembling two major constituencies:

1) a lumpen proletariat that has no idea how the economy works, is dependent on the government, and votes for him because he promises more handouts; and

2) an upper-crust constituency that thinks “we already have enough,” isn’t interested in any further economic development, and believes, if anything, that we already have too much of material possessions and it’s time to start cutting back on things.

This has been the theme of environmentalism for 40 years. The rationale changes — we’re undergoing a “population bomb,” we’re drowning in pollution, we’re running out of oil and other resources — but the message is always the same. We’ve got enough. Time to call off all this progress. Let’s go back to spinning our own yarn, growing our own vegetables, and putting up windmills.

Together these two groups form a perfect vice to smother the ambitions of people who are interested in furthering the advance of progress and technology — the ones you might call “average Americans.”

To me it has always been a great mystery why Obama is said to come to office representing the views of African Americans. He is, above all, a pure product of academia. Everything he says could be heard every day at faculty gatherings across the nation. “Folks out in the hinterland express their frustrations by clinging to guns and religion,” “You didn’t build that. The government built it for you.” “We face the greatest apocalypse in the history of mankind in the unregulated consumption of fossil fuels.” It’s posted on every faculty bulletin board.

On the other hand, does anyone think that a primary concern among African Americans in these depressed days is that sea levels may rise eight inches by the end of the century? Go ask.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Maybe its just me, but quite a few conservative voters a) have no undertanding of how the economy works, and b) think we have "too much" and that its time to start cutting back.
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    First part of your statement I would categorize as generally false (there may be some "Bubbas" who say they are conservative due to gun rights but the vast majority do understand that for government to spend a dollar, they must confiscate it or borrow it from someone else. Second part, I would say that many of us feel that "government" has "attempted to do too much" and needs to be living within it's means and that does not include raising tax rates because they feel like spending more.
  4. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    I think very few people understand how the economy works, especially the Fed and banking system. Moreover, I regularly see conservatives arguing that certain people having "too much" as being a justification for cutting back on various things - food stamps, the safety net, prisons, etc. Indeed the central argument is that these people have it so good and live in such "comfort," that they don't want to work. They must do without to restore their incentive.
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    I think that knowing that government money must come from somewhere and understanding the economy are two different things. Look at the number of conservatives on this board that directly blame the president for lack of faster economic growth. Ask ten of them exactly what the president did to stifle recovery, and you will get 10 different answers. At least 9 of them must be wrong.
  6. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    For instance, how many voters do you think could explain what "quantative easing" is? Or even the reason for aggressive bond buying?
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    For one, these people aren't true conservatives.
  8. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    I'm begining to think there is no such thing. Who are these mythical unicorn-like creatures?
  9. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +529
    Fiscal Conservatives have no home and a marginalized political voice. They can't be heard above the "free health care" "More food stamps" "Corporations Suck" "No Guns" crowd.
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Ah, fiscal conservatives, another mythical creature.
  11. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +574
    A favorite economic fallacy of conservatives is the call for a free market at the same time as arguing against buying goods from China.
  12. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Exactly. The economy is almost impossibly complex, because there so many forces at work. What passes for "understanding" of economics in politics is typically an over simplifiication based largely on non-related examples (like a household) or ideological soundbites.
  13. GatorRade

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Regrettably true. We have topics over which the most esteemed economists argue, and somehow many on here know beyond any doubt. Obviously this goes for both those on the right and left.
  14. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Which made it possible for the left to get away with blaming the housing crises on Bush, correct?

Concerning your "too much" comment, do you think Obama supporters should be given more welfare to help them pay for rising food and energy prices resulting from non-conservative economic policies?
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Or for the GOP to blame Obama for weak GDP/economic growth by carrying out their preferred policy (shrinking the deficit via spending cuts).

"Welfare" - meaning what?
  16. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    I must have missed something - has the deficit and spending shrunk under Obama, much less slowed at any meaningful rate, as as result of conservative policies supported by Obama?

Welfare defined as freebies. Would you grant Obama supporters more freebies to help them absorb rising consumer energy and food costs resulting from non-conservative, inflationary economic policies?
  17. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    Lolwut... when did Obama carry out a policy of spending cuts? He guards every penny of projected increase like it is food being taken off his kids' plate, let alone actual tangible cuts of anything, winding down redundant, wasteful, or flat out illegitimate programs, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    Yes the deficit has shrunk. Yes, we have cut spending too. No one remembers the sequester, I guess.
  19. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    I think (a) is probably true of voters in general, regardless of their leanings. Not sure where you're seeing (b) on the right, though.
  20. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    Let me get you straight - the GOP is blaming Obama for the weak GDP/economic growth that is a direct result of the Obama created sequester?