NRA Support from Christians

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Feb 8, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,523
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    Uhhhhh.....what? Is this what you meant on the other thread about people being uninformed but likely voting?

I can't even figure out what some of it means. What is this:

"Because America would not be, without her guns. And guns would not be necessary, without her God."
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    Is there a point to this statement?
  4. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    "Because America would not be, without her guns. And guns would not be necessary, without her God."

Is there, indeed? Those words were spoken by the Rev William Owens, Jr on the video at the 2 min. 35 second mark. What do you think he meant?

I found a God, Guns, and the Constitution website, but the home page indicates it's down for a redesign.

http://godgunsconstitution.org/

According to the date of the post on this website http://theblacksphere.net/2013/03/black-conservatives-praise-the-constitution-guns-and-god/ the event where the video was recorded occurred almost a year ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    If you mean me, I'm talking about the "NRA was created to protect freed slaves" concept being trotted out again. If you mean the statement I quoted from the video, I'm asking the same thing. I don't understand what that means.
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,979
    Gotcha.. I was hoping you forgot to say it because I didn't know it either, till Lacuna said it.
  7. warhorsegator

warhorsegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Fairly shocking that many Christian church organization want the possibility of guns in a sanctuary. Perhaps poorly educated pastors who do not understand that a sanctuary is to be that -- a sanctuary. All one needs to bring into a sanctuary is oneself to pray, praise, worship, ponder, whatever is called for by their faith. I wish one of the pastors, e.g. 3600 Baptist church organization in Georgia argued for presence of guns in church, would point to one word in the Gospels that would show Jesus favoring such use of force and presence of deadly weapons. JMHO
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,066
    After thinking it over and reading what Lacuna posted, I'm guessing that the overall message is that black people (in the video, anyway) see the right to bear arms as critical in maintaining their liberty. So there's nothing particularly novel or controversial about that. Lots of people across the entire population share that idea.

Trying to connect that to Christianity (or any other religion) is a stretch. I don't see it, except in the abstract--worried about any and all Constitutional freedoms. I don't see that the 2nd Amendment protects black people anymore than any other group, i.e. that's all that stands between them and the 1800's. But maybe I lack perspective there.

And there is no reason to believe that the NRA was created to protect freed slaves. I don't doubt that there were some early NRA members who were also abolitionists. It was started in NY by former Union soldiers or commanders or something like that. It stands to reason that surely some members were committed to that cause. And as far as I know the NRA wasn't hostile to freed slaves. Although again, it stands to reason that there were some members that harbored those feelings too.

But saying the NRA was created to protect freed slaves is a fiction that's being used to connect the dots on this God-guns-Constitution theme.