Now is the time to be A Gator

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorRev, Oct 20, 2013.

1. GatorRev

GatorRev Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +262
    Now is not the time to panic.
    Support your team.
    Let us resolve to show a steady hand on the wheel as we endure the current storm.

Ever been in rough water?
    I have.
    The last thing we need right now is for everyone to fall apart.
    Chin up.

Support your team.
    The sun will come up again.
    Tough times don't last, but tough people do.

Will you Gator nation man up or freak out?

Say It is Still great to be a Florida Gator.

Put your arrows back into your quiver.
    CWM knows our team is broken.
    Be redemptive and gracious.
    Give him a chance to lead us through the storm.
    In the end, I promise you will be glad you did.

I believe......

If you must disparage a team, please don't disparage my beloved Gators and then call yourself a Gator.

The more we criticize our own team the more difficult we will make it to improve.

OK, this is not our year, I get that.
    It is also not life and death.

Try something new, support your team, in all kinds of weather.... we all stick together, it is what makes us Gators.

So stop crying in your beer, and get behind your team.
    • Like Like x 7
  2. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +659
    Reps. Great post. Hope others take note and follow your lead.

I am.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,733
    Wore my Gator shirt all day and night yesterday.
  4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,122
    Lose to UGA and the pitch forks will be out. Lose to Vandy and heads will be rolling!
  5. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    You slept with it?!? That's hardcore! Any pajama Gator bottoms??
  6. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    Me, too. Went to a poker room last and took all sorts of flak.

Great OP.

Go Gators
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,233
    In all kinds of FAIR weather, we all stick togetherrrrrrrrrrrr. for F-L-O-R-I-D-A....:laugh:
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,390
    Well . . . there's that. :eek:
    After reading and posting on Gator County for many years, I've come to the conclusion that it's not the most valid or best representation of what Gator Nation is. Nor should it be. Swampgas is a forum for football discussion and a damn fine one. I've never taken the time to be a member anywhere else. This season's results dictate that many posters are going to be upset. After the past two games, they have reason to be. I'm sure that some tend to go overboard, but I'm not going to try and dictate what they post at this point. I'll continue to read and agree/disagree where it's interesting enough to do so. Prior to this game, I felt differently, but there is an understandable need to vent after this a$$ kicking.
  9. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    Sticking together behind whom? That's the problem with these kinds of arguments.

What if I had written a similar themed post saying that it's incumbent on all REAL Gator fans to call for the firing of the head coach, that his actions are clearly not in the best interest of the school or the team, that the behavior and performance of the team is an embarrassment (FTR, I am NOT saying that. I'm just throwing a similar treatise as the OP, just in the opposite direction). I'd be asking that all Gator fans trust me that I KNOW the coach isn't right for the gig, and it's in everyone's best interest that we move on. No facts, no arguments, just me making a statement about what a true fan should and shouldn't do. It's the exact same thing as the OP said, just on the other side of it. Do you think that would be cool?

Sticking together doesn't mean demanding or showing blind loyalty to someone JF happened to choose three years earlier. It could mean taking a contrary view. But you don't see anyone upset about the team's performance telling other posters they aren't real fans or that they should just trust that the naysayers are right. They try to make points. They try to make arguments. The only people who claim that high horse are those who argue without facts for the status quo (There are alot of exceptions to that -- not everyone, not even a majority of those who still support WM fall into that category, especially not you, Worm). So when one of them tells us to just be quiet and trust the coaches, just because that's what a good fan does, I call BS. As should we all, regardless of what side you're on.

And for the record, I'm not upset about the game. I'm upset that someone told me how to think and how to post. The rest of it is just philosophical football differences, which is what makes football fun, not-great season or not.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,233
    I hear ya, but yo also have to understand that Muschamp lost 13 starters this season. Our average regular season when we lose 12+ starters is 8-4 -- regardless if it is Spurrier Zook, Meyer or Muschamp coaching the team.

His team is green, and he lost both his starting QB and his best defensive player. We should have expected that.

And I say that retching in my barf bag every time the offense comes out to the field.
  11. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    As fans, discussion of the direction of the team after Saturday's debacle is inevitable. Not everyone is going to support the staff after watching us meltdown in a game where we had every reason to perform. I respect and understand where MSA is coming from, though I disagree. I stand by the staff and I think Will is the man for the job, but he has made some glaring mistakes this season.
  12. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Unbelievable! So much for fans sticking with their team through thick and thin! I agree with Rev and have some advice for you msa3......go to Tallahassee and join up with all the "fair weather fans" that root for the Seminoles!
  13. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036

I AGREE and only have one thing to say......

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=275242&page=2
  14. regator

regator Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    BS
    I support UF.
    I didn't support Zook.
    I support this team.
    I no longer support this coaching staff.
    Weather it happens now or in a year or two the result will be the same.

In the navy if you are an admiral of a ship that goes down there are no excuses.
    With almost no exceptions you are relieved of duty.
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Creator of this thread must be a Cub fan. Happy to support a loser. If you have an offense that is ranked in bottom 20% of all college football teams, you must make changes to your coaching staff. Strong fired his Offensive Coordinator at Louisville and was not afraid to make a change to turn his program around. Muschamp makes poor coaching hires on the offensive side of the ball.
  16. vincenzo_incendio

vincenzo_incendio Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    "Supporting the team" does not = blindly following the current set of staff/players as they play ugly, terrible football.

Anyone who devotes their time, money and passion to this great program has a right to voice discontent.

I'd rather we have a fan base that demands the very best and gives praise and criticism when deserved than a fan base that just sits and spouts off some ultra gators-can-do-no-wrong love like this is some kind of hippy commune where no one has to take any responsibility for their actions.

We all just want the Gators to win football games. Muschamp and company can shut everyone up if they just do what they were hired to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. vorpal

vorpal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    As the famous saying goes......"Excuses are for losers"..... WM needs to fix it or get out of the way.

btw.... Hiring a Leg Humper usually turns out messy :)
  18. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    I've got a better idea. Why don't you go cheer for Penn State, a fanbase that doesn't tolerate any questioning of their coaching staff and stays behind them, regardless of actual evidence, regardless of the situation.

We Gator fans like to think we're both intelligent and confident enough to listen to and tolerate opinions we don't always agree with. Some of us, anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. g8rvet

g8rvet Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    You can support the effort of the players that are representing their school and support coaches that are trying their best without insulting their effort and dignity - even while questioning their ability to do the job. I have fired people I respected because they were not cut out for the job I was asking them to do without degrading them.
    You can then tell us how you would fix the problem if you were the AD or coach. Most experts on here do not have the foggiest idea how to coach or run a program, but since they are "fans" they get to express their opinion. If I don't like it or think they have mild dain bramage I just move on. I could do no better either. Although I did take my peewee team to the playoffs. Come to think of it I do know exactly what to do! Lol.

Lighten up Francis.

Go Gators.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036
    Well said - it's all about respect - not just blathering off at the mouth because you have an opinion damned be everything else.

Geez Louise.....