Notebook: Veterans react to freshman All-SEC selection

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    This is another Broadway article. Here is an excerpt:

Here is the link:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20131017/articles/131019615
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I agree. Randle has not even outscored or out-rebounded me at the college level yet, and they simply hand him the prize.

He might really be that good. Or he might be an overrated flop who can't shoot. I've seen lots of 'em that turn out that way. Just prove it first.
  3. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Randle has a huge advantage compared to other UK frosh. He played for Donovan in a FIBA Americas tourney on a team that included college players. So he is much more a known commodity than any of their other Frosh.

That said, a quick tourney is not the SEC grind. I personally would have picked someone that earned the pre-season selection with prior college play. Then if Randle wins it at the end of the year great. But all this hype of the UK kids every year is robbing deserving college players of their time in the spotlight that they have earned.
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Randle is a tremendous player. He would be starting in the NBA this year if he was not forced to spend a year in college.
  5. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +663
    No one is forcing him to spend a year in college.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Semantics. He's being forced to stay away from the NBA for a year. As of now, college is by far the best option for most kids.
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    It's not semantics. Good thing you're not an attorney.
  8. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Wasn't aware this was a court of law? Were you unable to discern my point?

Semantics is, roughly I think, having to do with the structure of language and meaning. One poster tried to get off on a technicality that players aren't, technically, "forced" to attend college.

Have a problem with the essence of my post, or just want to nit pick?
  9. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Interestingly, and on topic, many of my fellow Kentucky fans seem to have a problem with statements made by Young yesterday related to freshmen hype. Here's a thread on it. In it I make it clear why I don't see anything wrong with Young's statements. Oddly, and surprisingly to me, I seem to be in the clear minority when it comes to the population on that particular board.

Some of you simply won't believe this, but in it I'm actually told that I'm wearing orange and blue glasses and I'm even suspected of possibly being a gator "troll." I guess the world is coming to an end today.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=193178892&mid=193178892&sid=888&style=2
  10. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    It is stupid to even have a preseason all SEC; however, Kentucky may field the best player at each position.

The SEC's media pick was:
    Trevor Relaford
    Marshall Henderson
    Jordan McRae
    Julius Randall
    Johnny O'bryant III

O'bryant and Henderson may lead in scoring simply because they are going to be the big guns on teams that need offense. McRae is a good player but I doubt he will be the best at his position in the SEC.

But the media selection of the all SEC sure will fuel some threads on message boards.
  11. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +206
    I almost never read opposing school's boards. That was amazing, and made me even prouder to be a Gator!

Sent from my iPad using GatorCountry
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    I prefer to do what you call nit picking because it's important to properly convey your message. Your point that it's in the best interest of most players to go to college for a year instead of taking other routes/options is understood and i agree but I think you're a little confused as to what constitutes semantics.
  13. GatorPlanet

Ratings Received:
    +663
    I didn't realize that by stating the obvious I was trying to get off on a technicality.
  14. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +837
    So that goes on elsewhere?

It's funny how that works. Say something nice about another team, or something that isn't a resounding approval of your own team, and suddenly you're not a fan.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +829

Starting?

many an NBA all time great didn't start immediately as a rookie....
  16. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    Pre-season garbage is exactly that "preseason garbage."

Admittedly, if you are judging based on prior evidence (like playing well the preceding year against the same level of competition), that makes some sense.

I fully agree with the players, but, of course, as I noted - this is less than meaningless.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    You and I have discussed this previously, but I am not quite as high on Randle as others, especially after he missed much of his senior year due to the injury. He looked great in the McD game, though largely because he was beating the other bigs down the floor (prep bigs are hardly known for sprinting back to the defensive end, let alone in all-star games).

What I like about Randle is his physical play, competitiveness, and soft touch around the rim, plus he doesn't handle the ball terribly (still don't buy the argument that he can play the three at the next level. What gives me pause is that he doesn't have much of a perimeter shot (sure, you had a couple of tourney reports last year about him taking mid rangers, but that is about it), he doesn't play above the rim for a a guy his size, and he isn't much of a rim protector at the other end. He will bully plenty of low post defenders at times because he is so strong and he will find a way to be effective in an offensive that doesn't need him to put up big numbers since so much of the action runs through the ball handlers, but he isn't Cousins on the blocks, nor is he as versatile as Davis, Jones, or even Patterson.

As a pro, I think of him along the lines of a slightly smaller Zach Randolph (at least the Randolph of the past few seasons who finally learned to play smart and compete regularly). He reminds me of Horford at times, but he doesn't play nearly as long.
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    We will see. I think he will be an all-star in the NBA sooner rather than later, but it's just a guess.
  19. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    i am with rserina on this. Given the uncertainty about NBA first round picks, I think you are a bit too confident that a guy who has not even played college ball yet will be so good.

I do know that high lottery picks generally have more NBA success than overall first round picks and Randle is projected as a high first round pick. Still I want to see him play against college defenders before I agree that he is a sure fire NBA all star.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,088
    What I want to see is what role he will play at the next level. He doesn't have the length to play the five and he certainly doesn't have the skill set to play the three, at least not yet, let alone the agility and lateral quickness to guard many NBA wings. I suspect he will definitely be a good NBA four, but what will separate him from others? Not size, not athleticism, not shotblocking or shooting range or finishing ability. He won't be as effective against many NBA post defenders on the blocks. Maybe rebounding will be his calling card. I could conceivably see him being a 10-12 board guy, which in conjunction with his decent post game and ball skills, plus his competitiveness and physicality, would make him a Randolph-type player.