Not Something Conservatives Want To See

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dangolegators, Mar 30, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,861
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,861

you maybe verti but the dems including quite a few on this board-nah
  3. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,228
    i can't speak for anyone else. but i admire the norse countries and their systems. sure you pay high taxes, but you're given the things you'd use the money for anyhow. medicine/health care ranks much higher than ours (there's no access problems on top of quality)
    scandinavian father's get maternity leave with their wives, when the baby is born.
    life expectancy is higher there than here. quality of life is better. satisfaction with life is better. fewer infant mortalities per capita. low crime rate.
    and it isn't 'communism'. there's no 'can i see your papers' stuff. you can leave, you can come and go. when swedes retire, they have no worries:
    http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v45n11/v45n11p12.pdf

that's what I admire. that's what i think would be a 'great society'. and of course, it's capitalism based.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,861
    you people who want guvment healthcare just make me shake my head
  5. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,587
    Oh, please pretty please continue to use Canada as an example....since the practice I work for sees a large amount of Canadian patients going all the way to Ithaca, Buffalo, Rochester, etc, because they can't get in to see an orthopedist and/or get the surgeries/implants they need in Canada due to that lovely program.

Or the many Canadians you see here starting Fridays all over Roswell Park Cancer Center, imaging centers throughout the area, pharmacies, Quest labs.....grocery stores, malls/shopping centers, dealerships....

Yep. Canada - a shining example.

As for Britain, aren't they having all kinds of issues right now with all these programs, extremely high unemployment, and the government pretty much going bankrupt? To the point that they're trying to cut on some of these programs & folks are protesting? We had a big HSBC office here. Lots of Canadians & British here with that. To a person the ones I met (church, dance studio, etc) thought our healthcare was better leaps & bounds. - and yes, I'm sure someone will yell "who cares" or "well, that's an exception", or the new one "you're glad to see people suffer".

No, actually apparently the libs are the ones happy to see people suffer. They passed a quagmire of a law that's been changed, delayed, and have lied to the people REPEATEDLY just for the sake of patting themselves on the back and saying "woohoo, we did something". The small percentage of uninsurables could've been absorbed into Medicare with policies people could pay on a scale but WITHOUT destroying the insurance and medical system for the rest of the country.

Nothing has been done to address cost. Nothing has been done to curtail expensive ER visits, because folks that can't afford their massive deductible will head straight to the ER...again.

So no, I'm not happy to see suffering. That's a liberal thing, apparently- you're the ones "gleeful" that folks have lost their policies, etc.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    Only way that happens with Obamacare is if the rest of us subsidize them. Then they will still have a little obstacle called the deductable.
  7. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    One aspect of Obamacare that I agree with is requiring insurers to write policies for those with pre existing conditions. That would have been more easily accomplished with a 3 page Health Care law. Page 1...if you wish to write insurance in a state, you must be willing to cover anyone who applies that pays their premiums. Page 2...Insurers are allowed to sell across state lines. Page 3...Individuals, small businesses can pool together as part of associations to buy insurance spreading the risk and qualifying for lower rates.
  8. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,861
    downeast-they want the taxpayer(the just over 50% who actually pay income taxes) to pay for their insurance coverage
  9. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Amazing what you can get once free Americans to do with the threat of fining them if they don't comply...

One picture of a line of people (likely in line for the free mobile phones offered with just a 'test drive') hardly means success. Judging by the reactions from the Obama administration, I believe its safe to say that Obamacare is already an unmitigated failure.
  10. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    We've had government healthcare for years- it's just that those who have not had insurance have been getting their health care from emergency rooms, probably the most expensive and ineffective way for it to be delivered. You don't think the doctors and hospitals have been reimbursed by the government for the "free" medical care they've been providing for years in emergency rooms?

What ObamaCare does not address, and what both parties should be addressing (but likely never will) is the cost of health care. Our costs have risen faster than virtually anywhere in the world and the medical treatment provided, while generally very good, is nowhere near the best in the world.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    If only our government spent money like they did.... We over spend and on top of that, on complete waste.
  12. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +732
    Spare us! There is nothing affordable about the ACA unless you abused your body your entire life and now thanks to Obama the rest of us will pay for your vices.
  13. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,002
    The govt is not reimbursing for free ER services.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Medical_Treatment_and_Active_Labor_Act

I agree with your second paragraph.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,002
    "A bit" is in the eye of the beholder. I do agree it is better than not having any insurance due to the reasons listed in your second paragraph. But the high deductible plans are going to surprise many when they find out they still have to pay for just about everything unless they are having major surgery or cancer treatments.

Having said that, it is indeed insurance. But, in this country we have come to equate health insurance with health payment plan.
  15. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,587
    And again, this program does nothing to address excess ER visits, because even those who get their Obamacare policies, once they see they can't afford the copays and they know the ER can't turn them away, where do you think they're going to go? Right to the ER. So once again, you've got folks using the ER for basic services they can't afford and end up not paying, and then everyone else is left holding the bag, so the cost of healthcare goes nowhere but up to cover those "losses".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,587
    Sweden has a population of 9.51 million people.

The United States has a population of 313.91 million people.

I'm sure if the US had a population of 9.51 million people, had little to no immigration/undocumented people depleting resources, got rid of its military presence everywhere in the world, and overall instituted one of the highest taxation rates in the world, the US could afford to do the same for its citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Sweden (for tax information)

Again, you're not comparing apples to apples here. If the US tried to institute that kind of tax structure here, you'd have a mass exodus of companies headed overseas, which costs jobs, which puts a higher stress on the government to provide services, which raises the taxes higher, etc.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +843
    You do F'N realize that's its more expensive for most of those people now to have insurance than it was BEFORE ACA? Jesus. You now how cheap insurance used to be for a healthy 26-40 yr old?
  18. gatorbronco

gatorbronco Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Healthcare.gov signup system down on deadline day
    CNBC.com staff | @CNBC

Barack Obama's health-care law. So far, about 4 of every 5 people enrolling have qualified for tax credits to reduce the cost of their premiums.

"HealthCare.gov marketplace application and enrollment system is currently unavailable. The tech team is working now to bring the system online as soon as possible," the Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement Monday morning.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. icequeen

Ratings Received:
    +3,587
    I see them using that as an excuse to now extend everyone :rolleyes:
  20. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,388
    Highly doubt it, the only real breaks here are for people that are going to get something for nothing. I've done my due diligence on the federal exchange because that is where I've got thrown. Who exactly stands in line these days for government programs?