Not so fast my friend. Chemistry wins championships. Walker will get 10-12 minutes.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ncbullgator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. UFish

UFish Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I trust Billy Donovan.
  2. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Just MY very humble opinion. If you were Walker and you were reading these threads how do you personally think you would feel about your future at Florida? This kid has---by all reports read here---continued to work with no assurance he would ever be granted eligibility. He now reads here that he might get 6 minutes or if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now this young man has PROBABLY read here and in other places that the odds are beyond good that he will be a Round 1 draft choice and an instant multi-millionaire with guaranteed money due to 1st round status. And yet it SEEMS that more than a few see this man as MAYBE not worthy of playing time. Realize after we dispatch the first 2 teams to reach the Sweet 16 that there is a possibility against significant opposition that under the new rules Young and Yaguette COULD both have 2 fouls EACH in first 10 minutes. Now wouldn't it behoove the University of Florida to have a future(not potential) 1st Rounder to have as much experience as possible to help us get through the 1st half. We will probably go no worse than 6-3 rest of the year to finish 13-3 in the SEC(probable Regular Season Champions)and 24-5 before the SEC Tournament. Say we go 2-1 in the Tournament and end 26-6. This probably means a 2 Seed which would mean games against a 15(WIN) and probably a 7(WIN) but then it will be time to get serious against possibly a 3 and a 1. Personally, I want a future(maybe near future) First Rounder playing with as much experience as possible. I'll take my chances that we can go 6-3 against a RUGGED SEC schedule with Chris Walker getting more than 6 minutes and not overly disrupting our chemistry.
  3. thejoyofsobe

thejoyofsobe Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This is admittedly a unique situation but Billy Donovan hasn't had a McDonalds All-American average less than 18 mpg over the course of their freshman year. Unless he's just lost out there be prepared for those minutes to creep up. I will be surprised if he isn't averaging close to that by the last week of the regular season.

My biggest hope is that his injection to our lineup significantly improves our rebounding margin by letting us play more size and keeping Yeguete and Young fresh. Especially Yeguete whose rebounding prowess has diminished a little this season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Almost ALL teams that win the NCAA Basketball Championship have at least 1 game where they get in foul trouble---that was before more stringent rule changes---I believe there will be a game that 2 Florida bigs each have 2 fouls with about 8 minutes to go in the first half. Who do you want coming in to play up front-----Walker #25, Kurtz or Walker, the soon to be millionaire NBA player----along with the 1 big man not in foul trouble? I have my choice and chemistry won't matter much if you are being battered on the boards. I'll take the WINGSPAN and whatever else NBA people see over the chemistry issues. The best chemistry is holding up BIG crystal bowls.
  5. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    The real question is would a lineup of Walker and Young starting be our best lineup?

Remember talent and culture make for a championship team and Walker is not just the most talented 4 that we have but he will bring rebounding, defense and energy to this team from the start.
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Walker and Young together doesn't work unless Young plays the four. No way Walker can play anything but the five this season. He will get eight to 12 minutes a game providing some extra energy and an expanded skill set, but less understanding of the system. He adds some athleticism, shot blocking ability and possibly some range with his jumper that Young lacks, but he can likely be exploited by seasoned defenders if he stays in too long. He needs to come in for disruption when Young gets a foul three to four minutes at a time, then let Patrick come back in to provide the leadership the team needs. If UF builds a nice lead, let Walker and Hill have relive some AAU moments in garbage time. I don't think the two of them together will be that formidable in a half court offense just yet. Walker has too much to learn.

Next year, all bets are off. IMHO, no way Walker declares this year. Too many guys ahead of him at the same position at major programs who got to play the entire season. Most of them have been thriving from the get-go.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Lol, what a ridiculous question. I could go into how many ways that this post is silly, but I'll just mention that there are 18 SEC games, not 16, and that I am 99% sure that Chris Walker doesn't have time to read these forums between his time in the gym and his time in the classroom. And if in some strange alternate reality he does, he would see a ton more positive posts than anything else. Who ever said he wasn't worthy of playing time? What a nonsense assertion. Also, your huge block of text sucks to read, you can hit that little enter key twice and make a new paragraph, FYI.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +569
    I agree with Maddux, but this is fair enough. However, I'd say that there are somethings from all of our teams that none of us have a hard time watching.

[​IMG]
  9. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    Lighten up Louie. How many minutes he plays is strictly up to him. I hope he is the second coming of Anthony Davis and plays a min of 35. People are just taking an educated guess based in most part on what his coach said. I wish him monumental success.
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Chris Walker probably is the most physically talented player ever signed by Billy Donovan. However, he likely is not very strong and doesn't know the Gator system very well. It will be extremely interesting to see how Billy uses him. The idea that he only plays 6 or so minutes a game seems ridiculous. I also wonder how this will affect Kurtz' playing time. Jake has played really well, including last night.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    True, but he has also never had a McD AA miss summer/early fall conditioning, start practicing in mid-November, or start playing games in February. I also can't remember a time when a McD freshman big had three established, legitimate starting quality bigs in front of him. Harvey was behind Haslem and Wright, but was in the same class as Bonner. Lee was behind Haslem and Bonner. Young has behind Macklin and Tyus, but Murphy was a seldom used sophomore (and played a different position at that). I think all bets are sort of off in terms of precedent right now.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    To my knowledge, Walker hasn't even been practicing at the four. He is starting out out at the five behind Young because his length and size are most needed there and it is also a far easier position to learn in terms of some of the passing, shooting, and pressing responsibilities. And I think it is way to early even to suggest that Walker will be better than DFS or Yeguete. DFS is averaging 10 and 8 and is our third best perimeter shooter and only legitimate floor spacing big. Yeguete, for all his offensive struggles this year, has been good a help and position defender as he always was, not to mention loose ball guy, but he has also improved his passing immensely this season.,

The discussion sort of reminds me of how in 1999-00, everyone expected Harvey to start at the over Wright, but he spent the better part of the season off the bench at the five because A) we needed him there, and B) he couldn't what we wanted offensively at the four). Same thing with Young over Tyus in 2010-11.
  13. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    I don't know if he will immediately become a great college player but I don't see any way he doesn't help the team from a little to a lot. Just think about our opponents trying to game plan for when he's in the game. If anyone thinks it will be hard for us working him in, what do you do if you're playing point for the other team and you see a 6' 10 McDonalds All American standing under the basket and you seen little if no film on him? Just that bit of uncertainty is going to affect the other team and we didn't need much help to begin with. I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday.
  14. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I don't believe I ever said he was going to supplant Young, Yaguette or Finney-Smith's minutes(UNLESS they had foul trouble) BUT if he isn't SOON taking minutes from #25 Walker and Kurtz there is something wrong with the ability of NBA personnel people to discern talent. List in order of probability the Florida players most likely to be getting the most minutes in the NBA by the 2015-2016 Season. I'm going Walker, Prather, Wilbekin. I have NO sure idea about Young, Yaguette and DFS nor does anyone else. I am sure about Walker(25) and Kurtz and Hill better learn how to shoot the ball----and before you say it---there was serious speculation about him being a one and done.
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Harvey was more physically mature than Walker but Walker has a much more refined game. My guess is that Harvey was playing 20+ minutes a game too.
  16. thejoyofsobe

thejoyofsobe Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    If you're counting DFS among the three established legitimate starting quality bigs this year then that same year Patric Young had Macklin and Tyus in front of him Chandler Parsons was there too as he'd played some 4. But even if you discount that because there weren't other trustworthy options at SF that year (unlike this year) apart from Young you could still put Murphy and Yeguete's average minutes together in 2010-2011 to get 18 mpg.

Young and Yeguete aren't 100%.
    We don't have any scholarship bigs behind Young, Yeguete and combo-forward DFS. More than just giving those guys a breather any kind of foul trouble is going to open up minutes.
    We need to get better on the boards and certainly could use more height/shot-blocking presence.
    As a top 10 team we are probably going to have a few more games where building a comfortable lead allows Walker more burn.

All these things in addition to his talent seem like prime conditions for him to carve out legit minutes by the end of the regular season. As with all things time will tell. Like themistocles said by the first time he sees the court he'll have had 45 days on the team for practice, conditioning and learning the system. By the time the NCAA tournament rolls around he'll hopefully have already played in 13 SEC games and hopefully will be rounding into form to help make a run in the NCAAs.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  17. thejoyofsobe

thejoyofsobe Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    20 mpg in SEC play
    18 mpg in the NCAA tournament.
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    I agree. Young was the third big in the rotation. Walker will be the fourth. The only real comparison is that Young was the sole legitimate option behind Macklin at the five and Walker may in fact be the only legitimate option behind Young, but again the conditions are entirely different. Walker has missed far more time (inclusive of offseason conditioning, fall practice, and the three months worth of game action) than any McD AA under Donovan--actually, more than any freshmen ever under Donovan. You can't reasonably expect a prospect who is fairly raw, especially in the sorts of things we expect of our bigs, and played against a very low caliber of prep competition to step in after missing half a season and contribute on par with kids who have experience, plus essentially six months worth of vital conditioning, practice, and live game action.

I don't disagree one bit that we could use Walker. But I don't see any reason we should expect Walker to get the sort of minutes Harvey, Lee, or Young did given the specific circumstances, from the depth in front of him to the time he has missed. If he can give us 18 minutes regularly by the end of league play, I will be thrilled and we will be better for it. But I would not put my money on that happening yet, let alone on the basis of the fact that he was a McD AA.

I suspect 10-12 to start (which is roughly two short stints and one long sting), then around 12-16 (roughly two long stints and one or two short stints) going forward. There will be games where he gets 18-22 minutes or so because of foul trouble, need to go bigger across the frontcourt, simple lack of rim protection against a good penetrating team. But I don't expect many of those games.
  19. thejoyofsobe

thejoyofsobe Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I don't expect Billy to mess too much with a good thing but I wonder if we'll try to get out and run a little bit more now that we'll have a back-up center, a glut of talent on the wing and Hill steadily improving.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,694
    Harvey was at about 22 mpg, as I recall. But again the difference is that he came in July and had essentially seven months worth of pick up games, strength and conditioning work, preseason practice and individual workouts, and live game action on Walker. Plus, Harvey was a big who played like a big. Walker is a skilled big who plays like a wing at times, but won't be used that way here at Florida. Going to be a much harder transition.