Not so fast my friend. Chemistry wins championships. Walker will get 10-12 minutes.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ncbullgator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    The Walsh/Roberson/Lee teams didn't have bad chemistry; they had bad defense. No rim protectors, not much size or depth in the post, not much length or athleticism on the wings. When we corrected some of those things with the 04s, we improved massively in 2005-05, finally beating Tubby and winning the conference tourney.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Chemistry is a by-product of the players on the floor doing what they are supposed to do. Execute your assignments, fill your role, do your job.

and magically (almost by accident) something called "on court chemistry" appears.

so the question isn't "will walker fit in or disrupt chemistry"

the question is "will walker have a defined role within this teams concept" and "will he execute the assignments of that role"
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    Exactly. Every year we have threads about the intangibles of a team. Every year players talk about the intangibles of a team. But they are intangible and so by nature kind of hard to pinpoint. Execution, competitiveness, communication, selflessness on the court is a little easier to identify.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I think he has Hill like impact and by the end of the year sees around 15-20 minutes especially if Pat or Yeg get in foul trouble. Let's be honest though...if you think a 6 10 guy with his arm span and jumping ability won't have an impact on a game...you're nuts. I don't mean Jabari Parker impact...but his presence once he is in the flow of things will be known. Just like Hill's speed and court vision....some things are just gifts from God.

Also. Billy already covered he is in practice, and he has the belief he wouldn't hurt the chemistry at all because the players know him because they've practiced enough with him. I doubt Billy puts him in if he does in fact hurt chemistry. I think Billy VERY clearly stating he will see the floor should tell us the kid is starting to get it. So don't be overly pessimistic...don't go crazy with the KD crap either..but this kid will make an impact.
  5. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +364
    There are teams that achieve wild amounts of success where none of the players even like each other. People so often mistake chemistry for friendship or camaraderie. Where all it really is, is shared competitiveness and the willingness to be selfless in order to properly execute your assignments.

This is not like Walker is just walking into practice today.....he has been practicing with the team for a month and a half almost. I am sure that BD and the rest of the team is very comfortable at this point in knowing just how Walker fits in and how he will be used. The rest is up to Walker. Will he make the sacrafices necessary? You can see that Hill is doing that. One can easily see that he is hanging on to BDs teaching and has really making an effort to work within the system. He is willing to take a step back from himself, modify himself, and learn for the advancement that will come out of it.

Someone said in another thread that Hill today is the same Hill in high school. I couldn't disagree more. Hill was a player who dictated his teams play on every level. He was the focal point. This Hill is working towards complimenting and enabling team success through the system. Not through his own ability.

As for the mention of the Lee/Walsh/Roberson teams. That didn't NOT work because of chemistry in any sense of the above definition.

That team had severe flaws in its ability to execute. Those teams were horrible defensively and lacked the many of the defined roles that a team needs to succeed. Bad example of chemistry. Those teams were just flat out flawed. Plus, I don't think that the components of the team were well suited for BD's system. And BD didn't or wasn't going to modify just for the sake of that team.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    And honestly, while those Walsh-Roberson-Lee teams seem fairly unimpressive by the standards of a program that has won two national titles and gone to back-to-back-t0-back Elite Eights, what with their early tournament flame-outs, those were really pretty solid teams in the larger sense. Good records against reasonable competition, decent tournament seeds, the first SEC tournament championship in the program's history...those were good teams.

I understand Roberson and Walsh rubbed some people the wrong way with their early departures, and I know those years were frustrating for a few reasons, but it's important to push back on the notion that those teams were uniquely toxic blends of failure and poor basketball. They look worse in retrospect because of the 04's, but it's unfortunate when they become an easy reference point when people want to bring up the concept of dysfunction and disappointment.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +461
    2-3 minutes per half? No, I think he'll be looking at double that after a few games. I don't know how much time Billy will give him while easing him into the lineup the first few games though. I wouldn't expect to see him with 20 minutes in a game though unless something is going very wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Yes, they were 20+ win tournament quality teams. Personally though, I had a hard time watching them.
  9. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253

Billy D is notoriously conservative in his second half with regard to playing his bench. Two fouls in the first half and you will likely be on the bench, even if it is in the first 5 minutes of the game. Because of this, he is able to shorten his bench and rarely counts on more than 7 guys in close games (sorry Devon). Especially early on, I don't expect to see Chris Walker playing any meaningful second half minutes, unless foul trouble among the bigs gets worse after halftime
  10. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Playing Walker 6 min. per half will make PY & WY better. They will be fresher when they are in, and with less fouls!(hopefully) This will trickle all the way down to Prather, Doe Doe will prob. get a few extra min. at the 3 & CWalk will take min at the 4 away from DFS and WY at the 5.
  11. madgator

Ratings Received:
    +364
    will also give PY some much needed minutes of rest......lots of lineup possibilities
  12. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +800
    Yeah, 6 to 8 minutes a game for CW is a joke. He will get 10-12 minutes in his first game. Gets all of Kurtz' mins, 4 or 5 of Yeguete/DFS, and another 4 of Young's.
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +614
    how's his free throw shooting?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    He's going to be 15-20 minutes per game soon. Remember there are 200 total to go around.

He'd be a tremendous help tonight.
  15. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +257
    I agree we should all temper our enthusiasm but I do see Walker getting more minutes than many think. Yeguette has struggled at various times this season and Walker can give us better minutes in certain match-ups.
  16. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +670
    Walker will be a godsend to both Will and Patric. Guys, both our seniors are playing on bad wheels. Will can barely dunk the basketball. Patric drags that leg like someone just shot him. DFS is doing a great job subbing, but he's a natural 3 and Prather could use a blow as the season wears on. He's not exactly playing on 100% legs either.

We need Walker to play defense and give our bigs some added in-game rest. His return could prove to be crucial to our championship aspirations.
  17. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    Those highlight reels simply illustrate his phenomenal athleticism, body control, aggressiveness, and intensity/motor.

That said, he faced plenty of D1 competition on the AAU travel circuit with Kasey Hill, including Randle and most of the other top 50 recruits in his class and former/subsequent classes, and more than held his own, including some nice performances against that competition in the McDonald's All American and Jordan Brand All Star games
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,607
    One bad game and Yeguete becomes replaceable around here. If Walker doesn't know what he is doing offensively, doesn't communicate defensively or pick up our ball screen coverages, etc., then I highly doubt he will be an improvement on a senior Yeguete.

Now, where I can agree is Walker will keep Yeguete from having to defend the five when Young is off the court. That will be significant if Walker can generally execute our pick and roll coverages.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    I think you are missing the point why some people aren't exactly in love with Yeguete. He defends well, not really a threat to block shots though, not a big leaper, not a threat to score. I don't think its just this game that has people excited for Walker. I would assume it is that we can all tell that this team is going to need a backup 5 that can spell Pat(which you pointed out) or play next to Pat in a game where we need a little more athleticism or Yeguete is in fail trouble. I feel bad for Yeguete, with all his injuries it really took away from his game, its really sad, just seems like a shell of what we used to be. Still a deserving starter with experience and game knowledge, im not saying to bench him, I just get why people sometimes complain about him, which you don't seem to understand based on several posts tonight
  20. fortmyersgator

fortmyersgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    The practice is the key..does he play together w PY to have a twin towers setup or do they sub for each other?
    Maybe a bit of both. But I think his defense is the key to his playing time.