Not so fast my friend. Chemistry wins championships. Walker will get 10-12 minutes.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ncbullgator, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    Anyone who watch the Lee/Roberson/Walsh era knows bad chemistry will destroy teams. The current team is a four year chemistry experiment that has worked brilliantly.

I believe Walker is the final piece to the puzzle, but he is a freshmen. Billy has to be careful to not disrupt team chemistry while using his skills.

He replaces Jacob K and should only play 10-12 minues a game unless an injury or foul trouble occurs.

I trust Billy to integrate him into the lineup.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    As with all frosh, I want to wait to see him play (against college competition) before developing any expectations about his ability or minutes. Highlight reels of him dunking on high school kids a foot shorter than him doesn't really tell me much.

But if there was ever a position of need on our team, it is in the frontcourt. If he can hang with the SEC big men, he'll see plenty of action. And we need him. Go Gators.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    I don't think anyone is expecting him to come out and be Anthony Davis. 10-15 minutes a game is all we need. Right now there is a pretty big drop off when PY hits the bench just based on size. Having someone back there who can take some minutes, swat some shots, and rebound is what we need.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  4. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +277
    I agree. Depth is the most important thing. If he brings something else (which he very well could), it's icing on the cake! :D
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Yes, he will swat some shots and he will score when he gets close to the basket. Just let him loose on a pick and roll, that will be what seperates him from the average joe. he will take minutes as we go forward. Hopefully he can play within the concepts of billy ball, defense and the pick and roll offense.
  6. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Billy can handle it and another coach of the year award is coming.
  7. jsc28

jsc28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think there are two sides to this argument, and both are silly before he plays a game. It is crazy if anyone expects him to come in and put up 20/10, but it also seems to crazy to just assume if he plays more than 10 minutes he will hurt our chemistry.

We just have to wait and see how it goes...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +277
    It's all about chemistry. Billy will figure out what to do with him. If he doesn't fit in well with the team, he won't get as many minutes. If he fits in well and contributes, he'll get more minutes. Simple as that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ahudson

ahudson Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +21
    Billy D has probably already figured it out.....a 6'10 body can always be used especially with Walkers talent...as been said before 5 more fouls....
  10. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Unless there is severe first half foul trouble among the bigs or the game turns into a rout, I don't expect Chris Walker to play more than 5-6 minutes per game for the remainder of this season
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tgatorstew

tgatorstew Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    CW seems to have a good attitude and is not cocky. He will not need the offense to run through him, therefore I do not see him upsetting chemistry. He will want to do whatever he can to contribute. I have a feeling that he will play about 10-15 minutes a game. He is however an elite talent and there is a chance by Mid February/March that he could be displaying flashes of brilliance, thus his minutes per game may go up. Obviously I have complete faith in Billy to handle this without issue.
  12. SmootyGator

Ratings Received:
    +277
    While I'm sure Billy has a plan, I don't think he know exactly how Walker will perform in actual game situations. I'm sure he's figured out how much he'll play in the first couple of games, but going forward will depend on how he plays in those games.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Chemistry is a phenomenon among groups that develops through experience. Essentially it is an underlying sense of community that influences just about every aspect of a team's game. It can be, and is influenced by factors such as where the game is played. For example, playing in Starkeville or Lexington or Knoxville or Madison increases the home team's chemistry and decreases that of the opposition, merely because of the positive energy that the crowd gives the home team and the negative energy they send at the opposition.

Novak, in his "The Joy of Sports" (pp. 135-136) makes the following statement: "When a collection of individuals first jells as a team, truly begins to react as a five-headed or eleven-headed unit rather than as an aggregate of five or eleven individuals, you can almost hear the click: a new kind of reality comes into existence at a new level of human development...For those who have participated in a team that has known the click of communality, the experience is unforgettable, like that of having attained, for a while at least, a higher level of existence."

Against Tennessee, this phenomenon occurred. Such phenomena occur in many situations, perhaps most commonly, among sports teams and musicians.

JSC made an excellent point. We don't know until he experiences things. Perhaps he is a highly sensitive individual who can merge very quickly with the team's existing community. The fact that he will have had some 45 days to work with his teammates before entering a game should help.

Another thing about Walker, although, apparently, he has put on 10-12 lbs of muscle since arriving in Gainesville, he is really scrawny and may well lack adequate strength to play very well inside in the very physical SEC. Note Yeguete's comments in the front page story about how he thinks the defense can improve where he notes that the SEC is still very physical despite this year's rule changes. Think back to skinny Noah, who really didn't play much until he put on about 20 lbs by his sophomore season, while, more physically solid Horford, was starting at the end of his frosh season. Think about the 195 lb freshman Casey Prather and compare that person with the 215 lb junior. Think about the 215 lb Brent Wright and how, by his sophomore season when he was 235 lbs, he won defensive player of the year in the SEC. Think about the 215 lb freshman Yeguete, and what a physical difference it made when he got up to 240 when going against SEC interior players. Admittedly, the mico-fracture surgery has hurt him a lot.

We will see what we will see, but he is long, quick, may be relatively adept at scoring, at least compared with Young and Yeguete (although Hill has had troubles), and he is supposed to be a very good rebounder. Despite his weaknesses of lacking experience and bulk, I can guarantee you OneAtAtime, that he will play at least 10 minutes per game, and likely, as the season wears on, as many as 15, or perhaps even more if foul trouble occurs.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,790
    Remember, he has been practicing with the team, just not playing competitively. I don't doubt that chemistry has been developing. Now what happens when live bullets fly is anyone's guess. I bet they know what they have and have some simple rules for him to play by, with the understanding that things will open up in the future.

But if a game gets out of hand and the scrubs are in, it will be entertaining to see Hill and Walker play some pick-and-roll stuff against the other teams's scrubs.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Did themistocles just provide us with a citation on a basketball forum?

Yes, that just happened. Nice post them'.
  16. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    Good players and good coaches win championships. "Chemistry" is a post-hoc justification sportswriters and fans come up with to explain why a team succeeded or failed in a given season.
  17. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,081
    I enjoy reading what all of you have to say but for me I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I totally trust the guy at the helm to run the ship.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Amen to that Hall. I don't see anything negative about this development.

Our weakness is low post depth. That has now been addressed.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,516
    This is where I am. I feel like there has to be an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality lingering here.
  20. jnierth

jnierth Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    i agree with themistocles' reservations but let's not forget he's also 6' 11" and can jump outta the gym. You can't coach that.
    • Like Like x 1