North Carolina Voting Bill

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jul 26, 2013.

1. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Voting should be cut back for costs. It's been so long since I registered to vote I don't even know how, but I bet I could figure it out pretty quick.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,810
    Repped.
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Not really. Only people looking to whine, would see that as "cutting back"
    Why is it that heavily left districts are the ones with the voting problems anyway?
    Hmmm
  4. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Because those districts are the ones with the greatest amount of idiots trying to figure out how to vote more than one time, having people bused in from out of state, etc.

And River, to answer YOUR question as to why we shouldn't have 17 days to vote, you explain why we should. Voting was ONE day for over 220 years in this country. It has only been in the last 10 or so years, not including absentee ballots, that polls have been opening before Election Day. So, why should the taxpayer have to pay more money so as not to be a INCONVENIENCE to some who are too lazy to go to the polls on Election Day? If you even make an attempt to state voter suppression, we will know beyond any doubt that you are lying, as there is more voter suppression on Election Day of conservatives (see ACORN, Black Panthers, SIEU, etc.) than liberals.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    you want to cut voting from 17 days to one day, but don't consider it cutting back voting time?

they're not.
  6. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Really? The people to dumb to know how to get an Id aren't democrats? Wow, thanks for the update.
    All the long line districts aren't heavily leaning dem districts with mostly dem election officials?
    Think real hard before answering those questions.

How many days did people get to vote in, say, 1900?
  7. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Great post. Sorry I didn't see it before my response.
  8. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    One day of voting is probably enough for most of the country, but not the big metropolitan population centers. Getting potentially millions of voters through the booth in one day is impossible. It would certainly have a suppressing effect on those voters, I would think, and cities tend to lean left, of which the right is fully aware.

Some flexibility and common sense would be helpful on this issue.
  9. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    More polling places?
    God forbid someone have to stand in long lines to perform civic duties.
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,428
    When I ask myself "How can I prove to Democrats that Republicans aren't trying to suppress the black vote?," I know one of my first ideas is always to cite the Jim Crow era as an example of how things should be done too.
  11. bludigal

bludigal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Outlaw paid voter registration drives. (I like this one a lot) I think we all want to get money out of politics. I don't the guy with the deeper pockets getting "his" voters registered in a greater number. It should be the responsibility of the voter to register.

Eliminate straight-ticket voting. (Again I like) we should be voting for people not parties

Prohibit counties from extending poll hours by one hour on Election Day in extraordinary circumstances, such as in response to long lines. (Voting ends at...... Well then voting ends. Maybe in one town they stop and it has a higher proportion of X voters but y shut down and it had x type voters). Or X type voters no that rules apply and didn't try to go late to vote, etc. There are tons of reasons that the posted rules should be followed.
  12. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    One problem. I'm a libertarian. As a libertarian, there is not much I hold higher than keeping the integrity of the voting system.
  13. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +288
    I doubt if more polling places would be a cheaper alternative, but it should certainly be looked into. Long lines are one thing, impossible lines are another. I think a week of voting is a reasonable period in some dense population centers. A single election day just doesn't reflect the current population reality, although I'm sure when it was instituted back before women, blacks, and non-property owning men could vote it was more than adequate.
  14. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Of all the things we spend money on...99% of which are Unconstitutional...I think the founders would be just fine spending money to make sure voting is honest and fair
  15. dynogator

Ratings Received:
    +288
    More polling places won't make the vote more honest or fair, just faster. Machines are going to ensure that the party with the best hackers wins. Don't you watch "Scandal?" :huh:
  16. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    We need early voting because they're aren't enough open precincts in highly populated areas to handle the vote on election day, hence the 8 hour waits in Miami.

Highly populated areas have more minorities. Minorities tend to work lower wage hourly jobs where it is difficult to take off to work to vote on a week day. There should be far more open precincts to handle the load, but there aren't so there need to be extended hours.

Really, our voting system is a complete joke. In every other country in the world, even poor countries like Colombia, voting is either done on the weekend or a holiday or both.

If you don't think our voting system is set up to suppress the vote or that these laws are not to further do so, then I have some land to sell you.
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,428
    What exactly about having 40 extra polling places on election day would inherently be more "honest and fair" than having 2 or 3 early voting locations open?

I think you could make a better argument that cutting back heavily on absentee ballots (i.e., requiring proof that you are actually out of the district before you are eligible to use one) would go further towards eliminating voter fraud than cutting back early voting would.

Why? Because statistically far more of the voter fraud relates to absentee ballots than it does to in-person fraud (and because they are quite simply a lot easier to abuse, there are far fewer checks as to you really being who you say you are than there are with in-person voting already). But of course we don't see that proposed. Why? It couldn't possibly be because Republicans believe that absentee balloting favors them, could it?
  18. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Well, umm, one of the biggest gripes of lazy democrats is that lines are too long. One day voting clamps down on the lefts ability at multi voting, that's why it is opposed.
  19. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,297
    It's not just voting days that have been changed. Anyone want to defend these:

The measure also ends same-day registration, requiring voters to register, update their address or make any other needed changes at least 25 days ahead of the election.

A popular high school civics program that registers tens of thousands of students to vote each year in advance of their 18th birthdays will be eliminated.

Accepted IDs have been greatly narrowed. No college IDs, no employee IDs even if issued by a city or county,no public assistance IDs. These are photo IDs, which say who the person is. Isn't that what you want, to make sure it's the person voting?
  20. neisgator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    The only one I have a SMALL issue with is the 25 day deal. I think 7-10 days would be sufficient in terms of address changes.
    A full fledged ID submitted by the county sounds reasonable as well