North Carolina Voting Bill

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,114
    -Reducing early voting period could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

-Reducing early voting hours could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

-Eliminating same day voter registration could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

-Prohibit counties from extending poll hours could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

-Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

- Outlaw paid voter registration drives could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

-Eliminate provisional voting could certainly not be said to encourage or promote voting

And as a bonus, lets help special interests even more

- Loosen disclosure requirements in campaign ads paid for by independent committees

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8GBAsFwPglw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    About time.

If you don't pay taxes, you shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.

:no:
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,114
    the overwhelming majority of Americans eligible to vote pay taxes one way or the other

im guessing you mean income taxes

if so, Republicans would not like that one bit, as they win the older vote
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,785
    I think early voting has gotten out of hand, personally. It's election "day", not week, let alone month. The longer the polls are open, the more vulnerable, ultimately, they are to error or misconduct.

More total ballots being cast is not necessarily a good thing if it comes at the expense of the reliability of the results, i.e. votes misplaces, double voting, illegal voting, etc. To borrow 108's semantics, certainly gaping holes in ballot security don't promote or encourage integrity in the voting process.

The ID thing... really just never has been a rational argument against this. Anybody worried about the 0.00Nth % of the population that doesn't have a photo ID for some reason other than apathy, they could save a lot of money just paying for those people to get their IDs than litigating to prevent obvious safeguards. At the end of the day, there is only one reason to want someone to be able to vote without verifying their identity. Only one.

Personally, I want states to start removing party affiliation from the ballots. Anybody too lazy or too stupid or, yeah I'll say it, too illiterate to figure out who they want to vote for by something other than a "D"/"DEM"/"R"/"REP" may end up disenfranchised... but that's not frankly a bad thing. The cattle ranchers organizers who bus people to the polls will just have to teach their engaged citizens to memorize a ballot mnemonic for the candidates.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    I actually lime that idea michi. We should be voting for a person. A person with ideas plans...not just the same old party we always vote for. That is how politicians use and abuse the citizens of this country.
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Yep, tighten things up for voters, make it a little harder for them to vote. But make it easier for people to spend money to influence politicians.
    good call.
  7. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    The influence peddling has got to go. This has been a huge disappointment for many conservatives in NC.

One example bothering me are the billboards dotting the landscape on the way to the coast. Those farmers got paid a bundle for their land. Now they want to cut trees and plaster the road with billboards. The Pub legislature wants the state to take control, but the Pub Gov. wants to leave the decision to the local, corrupt jurisdictions. Lobbying has been enormous. Pathetic. The billboards are killing the vistas.

Ditto for water quality in the lakes. The developers are trying to ease the rules. They are winning. Screw em.

The tax reform was suppose to raise taxes on services. The lawyers and many others won. Now revenues will go down. Should have been revenue neutral with the lower rates. Simply wrong.

:no:
  8. Tasselhoff

Tasselhoff Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173
    Money. Once it gets involved the rest of us get screwed.
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,286
    You mean like what the Black Panthers are doing? :no:
  10. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    only 10 days to vote? What a hardship.
  11. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +289
    Pennsylvania has no early voting and somehow manages to get everyone into and through the polls on Election Day. And counts the vote to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Same with incumbents. Why are they designated?
  13. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Yep, it's true. Not encouraging or promoting voting is the same as suppressing the vote. [/sarcasm] Hell, let's open the voting instead of 17 days to make the start of the voting period January 1. Better yet, let's allow voters to vote for the 2016 election the day after the 2014 elections close. That would be better. Then, everybody would have the ability and time to go to the ballot box.

GET A CLUE!!! Voting in this country is both a RIGHT and a PRIVILEGE. If a person refuses to go on election day, or the 9 days before, then they should not be allowed to vote. Why should it be 17 days?

Why should we allow same day registration? If a person is unwilling to register in the time between elections, then why should they be allowed to register the day of the election? Tell them to get off their a$$ and register ahead of time. They will get a nice little Voters Registration Card that they can keep in their wallets/purses, so when they do go to vote, they can already show that they registered.

I agree that the polls should be able to remain open late if there are lines and disagree with the stopping of this on election DAY.

Provisional voting because the citizen is too stupid to find out where they were supposed to vote is something I agree with too. Just have the information at the poll watchers booth, so the idiot can be directed to the proper voting location.

I also agree with you that all candidates should be required to endorse the commercials/propaganda that their campaign puts out. They should be required to step up and endorse it, so that people know what the candidate stands for and how much they are willing to lie about another candidate, regardless of political affiliation.
  14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Speaking of clues, how can something be a right and a privilege? Rights are inherent, privileges are grants.
  15. vangator1

vangator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    I vote on the morning of the election and have never waited more than a few minutes.

Cut costs by making it 3 days max. And bring a damn photo ID! You want to vote, get a photo ID. Suppression my a$$.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    Why shouldn't we? If they are legal voters, why not?
  17. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    What this thread says to me:

If democrats accuse a libertarian like me or a pub like Dave or Rick EVER of whining, then I just might have puke.

Unreal... The liberals whining about voter suppression. It's as fake as fake man made global warming.
  18. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    so why should voting and voter registration be cut back?
  19. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It shouldn't.
    We can all vote in one day. We can all register to vote... Unless you are a felon or illegal.
  20. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +1,642
    so your claim is that it shouldn't be cut back, but it should be cut back to one day? that's interesting.