North Carolina governor signs voter ID law

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Aug 12, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    First of all, I think changing laws to make it harder for the other party to vote goes beyond basic partisan politics.
    Second, what laws have the Democrats changed to make it harder for Republicans to vote?
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,988
    I don't think anything is beneath a politician.

That comment wasn't meant to be about voter laws, it was a general statement.
  3. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +447
    Do yourself a favor river and don't try and guess.

The Crats have owned NC for 80 years.They have made the laws and configured the redistricting to favor liberals. They are the ones who passed nonpartisan elections for judges because they were getting their ass handed to them when judges were identified as Pubs. They are the ones who allow polling places to open earlier in black precincts than predominately white precincts.

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about.

:no:
  4. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    About time. I hope more states follow.
  5. bovinagator

bovinagator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    River, I assume that you went to college somewhere and had the proper ID. I attended two state universities (Fresno State and The university of Florida). I had ID's issued by both. Neither of which identified where I lived or my age. They did have my picture and my class in school plus my name which probably is on the voting roles in most precincts as it is a fairly common name. So how would holding a college or high school ID help assure I was eligible to vote and voting in the proper precinct?
  6. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,476
    Care to explain how this is "overstepping their boundaries"?

As I explained in the post about Texas last month, the SCOTUS VRA decision doesn't mean the federal government no longer has the authority to seek to enforce the VRA against states through pre-clearance, it just means they have to have a federal court find a history of intentional voter discrimination in the state and order pre-clearance rather than having the formula that automatically subjects jurisdictions to it.

The formula is the only thing SCOTUS struck down.
  8. DaveFla

DaveFla VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    Because that ID is issued in the state where they attend college, which my not be, as I am sure you know, may not be the same state in which they are registered to vote.

Pretty simple explanation, huh?
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    your drivers license doesn't say you're eligible to vote or list your precinct either. it simply says you are you who claim to be.
  10. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    North Carolina isn't accepting North Carolina college IDs, so it has nothing to do with it coming from another state.
  11. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    You do realize college issues IDs to its out of state students and in state students like, right? Seems to me that they may be wary that there is an avenue for fraud there; student ID isn't issued upon nearly the scrutiny that state IDs are.
  12. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    Yes, so?

so you figure someone's going to enroll in a university to get a fake college ID to cast an illegal vote? if you want to fake a vote, it's a lot easier just to do it absentee. Which, by the way, NC made easier.

is there any evidence whatsoever of college IDs producing illegal votes?
  13. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    I don't "figure" anything. Just pointing out that it is pretty well covered that there are picture IDs and there are picture IDs. Even if the school is a state school, school IDs typically aren't "state issued photo IDs" vis a vis what criteria are used to get them or the uses for which they are accepted. Why should a polling place checking photo IDs not follow the same norm that is used at our airports or cruise terminals and the like?

EDIT: after all, especially in the age of this Real ID stuff, one of the fee real intrinsic values of that government issued photo ID is as per se proof of legal residency. A student ID doesn't necessarily serve that function at all.
  14. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    Why is it so difficult for dems to follow a simple act as getting proper id to vote? They are not being asked to do anything any different than anyone else. Do they think dems are not capable of doing what the law requires of one to vote?
    How does it affect a poor minority more than a poor white?
    If a college student wants to vote, get the proper id. If one can go to college, he damn sure should have the interlect and initiative to get proper id. This argument that one has college id and doesn't need another is weak, bogus,lazy and silly as hell.
    If one will not take the time to properly register, why should one expect them to vote? I guess someone could vote for them though.
  15. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Or a liberty lover, like myself, that thinks the election process is sacred and not to be efd with.
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You've been given answers to these questions but refuse to listen. Star with the fact that it doesn't address any know problem but also as a matter of fact will have more impact on demographic groups who typically don't vote for Republicans. Defending it indicates foolishness, cynical manipulation of the democratic process, or possibly both. There is no other explanation.
  17. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Gov. Pat McCrory of North Carolina has signed a new election-law reform, which includes a requirement, starting in 2016, that voters show a government-issued ID--available from the state free of charge.

Given the above, not sure why there is so much outrage?
  18. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +3,715
    Because the point has never been the availability of valid IDs. It has been about preserving a status quo where a person can walk up to a polling place, say a name, and be handed a ballot.
  19. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    What answers have been given about anything? All I read is flimsy excuses as to why a democrat will not take the initiative to register to vote. No common sense reason has been forthcoming by the left, as most issues discussed.
    Absentee voting has been in existence for years. Early voting is a recent event, due to people not having enough sense to vote properly. Everyone has always had to show id proof to register to vote One thing that has changed, is that people want to do as little as possible for anything, including voting.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +232
    It is beyond me how some here are okay with allowing voters to vote without an ID...
    • Like Like x 1