North Carolina governor signs voter ID law

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Voter registration and absentee balloting seems to be where the majority of convicted voter fraud comes from. I would encourage those that are concerned about voter fraud to propose solutions in those arenas. I would start by REQUIRING IDENTIFICATION in order to register to vote. I would also try and generate some kind of program that identifies those that vote by absentee ballot, for the purposes of not including there names at polling places.
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    I personally like the idea of a somewhat strict "for-cause only" absentee ballot system. Essentially requiring demonstrable proof of why you cannot vote in person before you qualify to receive an absentee ballot. Would cut back greatly on one of the forms of voter fraud that we have actually observed, that being the mass absentee ballot requests for huge groups of people by third parties, which both make it much more difficult for those people to vote in person when the roll denotes that they were sent an absentee ballot and opens the door to actual false ballot fraud.

I think the cutback on absentee ballots absolutely has to be done on the front end by making it harder to get an absentee ballot, because if we're looking at convictions that seems to be where the fraud is occurring, not people successfully double voting through the use of an absentee (typically the in-person rolls reflect if a person received an absentee ballot already I believe).

And if we really want to push for ID verification on in-person voting, IMO we should require a notary witness on absentee ballots as well. They would seem to be a far more ripe avenue for voting someone else's ballot since there is never a face-to-face interaction to give the opportunity for verification.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Hard to disagree with either suggestion
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +500
    Agreed on the notary idea (probably because I already suggested it!).
  5. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    You vote suppressionist, you!

Seriously, I like your ideas in concept, but I wonder whether they would withstand "disenfranchisement" claims. I remember that when Florida first did away with the "for cause" requirement in the '90s and wholesale fraud quickly ensued, the legislature then reimposed some type of "for cause" standard along with witnessing standards and some other reforms. Those measures didn't survive DOJ preclearance and I don't think they were ever enforced. Don't remember what the technical issues were, but DOJ concluded that the reforms would have an impermissible impact on minorities.
  6. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    There are a decent number of states that provide absentee ballots only with an excuse already, so it's probably a matter of the mechanics of how you implement it (and perhaps how strict the proof you require can be).
  7. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,447
    Colin Powell:

8. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,666
    Just for giggles, what are Powell's qualifications of expertise as to what builds or doesn't build a base?

Also, besides the convenient and trite platitude value, why shouldn't it take some sort of commitment of energy, time, convenience, and attention to vote? Voting is important, right? Are the important things in life the things that we do easily without thinking, or the things that require our best effort?
  9. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +293
    Has SCOTUS ever ruled on what the states can and can't do wrt a "cause" requirement for voting absentee? Just curious.
  10. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,227
    yet continuing with the "irony" you fail to mention..It also lengthens the voting hours per day. Voters will have the same number of total early voting hours and be able to go earlier and vote later on a given day.

Im a 20 yr. resident of north carolina. We just suffered through a decade of corruption in Raleigh. This is a lame attempt by the losing side to make whine out of sour grapes.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  11. MichaelJoeWilliamson

Ratings Received:
    +497
    You mean, other than he voted for Obama?
  12. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Look how well moderates like McCain and Romney did for the pubs.
    I'm gonna start getting financial advice from the guy next door who is in foreclosure.
  13. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +500
    Both of those guys moved solidly right to gain nomination. If they hadn't done so I believe they would have fared better. I may have even voted for Romney over Gary Johnson...
  14. ncbullgator

ncbullgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    Rep to you as a 30 plus year resident on NC. The corruption of Easley and Perdue and their crony capitalism was a disgrace to the state and conveniently overlooked by the national liberal MSM.

And who gives a rat's ass what Colin Powell thinks? I almost went and would have booed him when he said it.

:sick:
  15. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    They really didn't much. Even if they had, the general electorate pays close to zero attention to the primaries.

I voted for Johnson.