Non-conference Marquee Matchups for the SEC . . . How Will the Conference Do?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatordavisl, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    I'm not counting the traditional rivalry games ala USCe/Clemson or UF/Sex Crime U. Here are what I consider the SEC's non-conference marquee match-ups:

Aug 28 - Ole Miss vs. Boise St (Atlanta)
    Aug 30 - LSU vs. Wisconsin (Houston)
    Aug 30 - Clemson at Georgia
    Sept 13 - Tennessee at Oklahoma
    Sept 13 - UCF at Missouri (not real high on the marquee meter, esp with Bortles gone)
    Sept 13 - Arkansas at Texas Tech
    Sept 20 - Auburn at Kansas St
    Sept 20 - N Ill at Arkansas (props to Ark for playing a tough non-conf schedule)

Sorry Bama. WVU does not count. Bully to Miss St, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt for scheduling ZERO heavy-weights in the non-conference schedule.

So back to the question: how do you think the conference will perform in these early-season match-ups? I see 5-3 at best with the toughest games (or losses) being TT, UCF and OK. N Ill could beat Ark. I'm not saying Boise and WI will not be tough, but Ole Miss is on the rise and LSU plays close to home. UGA is at home and playing a revenge game after Clemson lost Watkins and will be breaking in a new QB on the road.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    I just hope we beat idaho.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    I think the SEC wins every game you have listed. The only questionable games are Clemson/UGA and UCF/Missouri.

Both UGA/Clemson have "new" QBs (although UGAs started the last 2 last year and is a senior). UGA will have a much improved D this year (w/ most of the starters back)...but both teams will have a combined 36 suspensions, so I expect to see dozens of walk-ons...in fact, the team w/ the best walk-on program will likely win (just kidding, but there will be at least 4-6 suspensions per team. I think Clemson has already announced 4 and UGA 2).

UCF has a new QB (and that's a big task replacing Bortles).

Boise is not the Boise of 3 years ago (they haven't been the same since Pease left!).

N. Illinois will give Arkansas a good game. Bielema is a very good coach, so I see them turning it around (a bit) after taking some serious lumps last year (and I'm sure the Arkansas faithful want a return on investment....$5 million/year?!).

Yes. This marquee match up is going to be bigtime! I'll be surprised if ESPN Gameday isn't broadcast from Gainesville.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. chunks1

chunks1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,274
    tell all that to ga southern
  5. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    No way does Tenn go into Norman and beat OU. Arky going to TT should be a tough one but other than that the SEC should win all the others. Boise no Petersen, lsu in Houston is a home game, dawgs should run all over clemson, we saw last year Mauk is pretty good but they did lose some receivers and Josey, k-state isn't very good, and northern illinois lost their offense when Lynch left.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    As Chompsuey mentioned, I don't see UT winning in Norman. Mizzou may have peaked last year and have lost a ton of talent. UCF could give them fits and O'Leary has his program really going. I see Ark losing at TT, and possibly at home to NIll.
  7. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,565
    Agree on UT, I overlooked that game. When you see me post something, please keep in mind I'm an idiot and among the dumbest people I know!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,700
    I will take the over for a gursky Alex.
  9. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    I think LSU will have all sorts of trouble with Wisconsin. Who is playing QB for LSU? Who is going to catch the ball for LSU? Wisconsin is a pretty solid team with a great coach. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wisconsin win this one. This will be the first game for LSU with a ton of inexperienced players all over the field on offense.
  10. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    Some reasonaable points. I see this as a win for LSU, largely because it will be played close to home and in the humidity, which the WI players will likely struggle with. Note that WI's QB (Stave) is banged up and hasn't participated in spring ball. They have no experience behind him. LSU will be breaking in a new QB, but they will rely mostly on their running game, which will be very strong. Their D appears to be loaded.
  11. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Isn't the game going to be in Reliant Stadium? I know it has a retractable roof, but are they going to open it for the game?
  12. gatordavisl

Ratings Received:
    +2,341
    Good question. I don't know what the policy will be for a college game. It would appear that they seldom close the roof for the Texans.