Nobody Ever Deserves To Be Fired?????

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I once had the good fortune of running into Holtz in Atlanta--about 5 years ago--I asked Granny if he could think of one current head coach or coach in the last half century who deserved to be fired? He looked at me with a strange expression--Right, who could really tell--and I explained that I have never seen any commentator on ESPN, CBS or anywhere else say that someone needed to be fired. I comprehend how you must be something of a sycophant to retain contacts but I don't really think these guys believe that not one guy deserves to be fired. When Mack Brown gets it you will really hear some outrage this weekend. I wonder if Holtz even thinks the guy at Eastern Michigan should have been terminated? He probably lisped "The guy was doing a fine job considering the circumstances and should have been retained."
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,409
    Did his face look like it just came directly out of the oven?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I've noticed this too. No one will ever say that they think a coach should be fired....until it happens. Then they will all come out of the woodwork to explain why. I guess they don't want to alienate the them.

That's because the folks at ESPN, CBS, etc are in the good-ol boys club. They are "in the game" as former coaches, players, or even just as broadcasters. And I think not only do they sympathize with the coach in question but it also becomes an Us vs Them mentality versus fans and the media. "They've never played", "They've never coached", "They dont know what that kind of negativity does to a team", etc, etc. They can empathize with the outside pressure from inside the locker room.

Even though most of the time the general consensus of the fans is pretty darn accurate. How many people were complaining about our offense even last year during the 11-2 season and saw the problems again right after the Toledo game? Well, guess what? Now we are looking for a new OC so I guess those fans were right after all. If our head coach could see the same things we saw we wouldn't have been set back 2 years with a bad OC that we are now having to replace.
  4. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    Bwahahaha :D
  5. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Holtz is called "Granny" throughout South Carolina--even by Carolina fans---I was not rude enough to call him that but I easily had the intestinal fortitude to ask him in person "WHY nobody associated with college football ever thinks anyone should be fired?" I didn't need Mr. Holtz(as I addressed him) to tell me the truth. I recognize the truth as does anybody who has an interest in college sports----announcers NEVER believe anyone should be fired. I thought it would be cowardly to not tell him in person that people do recognize the incongruity of the situation. I took 20 seconds of his time and offered to buy him a Starbucks and was never rude. Personalities(sports)love being recognized and fawned over. I believed Mr Holtz could abide 1 honest observation not coated with a "Lou Lou I love you on ESPN."
  6. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    Calling Holtz "Granny" is a bit disrespectful in my opinion, but it's just that...my opinion.
  7. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I just reread that comment--"Balls to address Lou Holtz", I was not asking the Supreme Ruler of Iran about human rights violations.
  8. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Will NEVER call Holtz "Granny" again. I may be one of the few in the Upstate of South Carolina who does not apply that appelation but I don't want to offend anyone. I'm assuming this sensitivity about "nicknames" applies to all coaches, players and institutions.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,355

Gerry Faust? I would at least hope he agreed with that firing.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    People who are incompetent or who markedly interfere with the effective functioning of a group should be terminated, without a doubt.

Regarding football coaches, if they were making less than say $200,000 per year (an insane amount for such a job that is of very questionable value to anything) then one might legitimately argue that merely helping the kids finish school and develop mentally, physically and emotionally no matter what the won/loss record, would not be incompetence. However, when they are getting paid upwards of $2 million per year, the standards change. When one year's salary is adequate for the rest of one's life, then being fired is not such a big deal, and the won/loss criterion legitimately enters the picture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,814
    I don't remember too many cries of indignation when Woody Hayes was fired.
  12. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
    You didn't finish the story... Did he ever say anything? Or did he just walk away from you without saying a word?
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,355

My guess is you weren't in Columbus at the time.
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,957
    You're a good man. I just get a little tired of the disparaging nicknames about Holtz, as I like the guy. Yeah, he's old. If we're lucky, we'll ALL get old like him, and hopefully as wealthy and happy as him as well.

Sorry for jumping so soon...

And I do appreciate your point, but understand that they are probably reluctant to say anything controversial in our media-capturing world.

For me, it largely does. I find that life is much easier when people are called what they want to be called. Blame a lifetime of martial arts inculcation. "To respect others is to respect self."
  15. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Mr Holtz walked away smiling and even had a gleam in his eye as hopefully he was pondering the question. One time I was "mean" it was about 1988 when Iwas 41 and more rambunctious. We were in NYC at the airport and our flight had already been delayed 2 hours. When we finally start to board(Delta), I see Geraldo Rivera boarding the plane ahead of me. I inquired "Have you looked behind any walls lately?" YES!!!!!! I know he could have kicked the crap out of me. Just a bad action on my part. I will never forget his glare. Only time I have been less than courteous and respectful to anyone in public. I forget how long this was after his "Al Capone Wall Special" on ABC when they tore down a wall in hopes of finding something of import and only found some old matchboxes and a few toothpicks.
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,355

Reminds me of the "America Unearthed" guy on History channel. Let's see, we're going to see if the Ark of the Covenant is "really" located in Utah. Problem is, this is not live and if he did indeed find the Ark in Utah, we WOULD ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT! He and the Ancient Aliens guys are a hoot, though, because they're so damn full of it.
  17. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Coaches are fired all the time. What's the big deal?
  18. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,261
    Not true. Holtz's counterpart Mark May was calling for Muschamp to be fired after the Vandy game.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9955370
  19. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Part of it is that coaches and ex coaches seem reticent to call for another coaches head. Part of that is based on living that lifestyle with limited job security, families to support, kids that have to be uprooted etc etc etc.

Holtz seems to subscribe to that.

That being said, if someone is not able or willing to do their job of course they should know that their position is in jeopardy. That should apply to everyone.