No redshirt season for Gators swingman DeVon Walker

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Oct 28, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    This article is by Chris Harry. Here is an excerpt:

Here is the link:

http://www.gatorzone.com/harry/blog/1542
  2. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
  3. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +831
    He should RS...once we are healthy, he will not play at all...I bet he looks to transfer after this season like he did last season....
  4. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Great news, especially if/when we are a little shorthanded early on. Talk about putting in the hard work in the offseason.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    Bullis, Bullis, Bullis...
  6. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Sounds like he put in a lot of work. I know in basketball, you have to shoot till your arms won't let you. Billy's work ethic that is legendary. At 6'6", stronger, better footwork this kid is going to play. At SF or 2g you have to hit your shots consistently or you will ride the bench. Billy must be seeing good things from Devon. Whether or not he starts is of no big deal, but coming off the bench and giving good minutes, running the floor, scoring will be good for the team. I can't wait till Devon gets the ball on the fast break and slams it home. Gets down the floor defends and then spots up and nails a three. We have needed a SF who can hit shots and run the floor. He needed to work hard and has. I hope he has gotten stronger also. I look forward to seeing him get the minutes he deserves.

Think Casey Prather strong and stroking it like Chandler. Yesssssss Sir!

The Gators have some good talent and will be fun to watch as this team grows into a team that others are not going to like playing.
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,701
    Ouch....did Billy just decide he needed him early due to suspensions (but not later)?
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Was this really necessary?
  9. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Can DFS score around the basket, runners in the lane, 3 ball, well, we are going to see. Prather, has been hot and cold from the outside. So do we just play guards at the 3 pos. If Devon can consistently score with the 3 and the runners in the lane, he could be the answer the Gators need on the outside SF. Chris Walker will have to prove it also. Even though I know everyone on here wants him to be a PF. His position in the Pros will be SF with his skills, unless his shot won't fall. So, any of these 3 will have to prove they got what it takes.

Will Y. has knee problems that won't go away. I wonder if he should play at all. He has a wonderful attitude and works relentlessly. These knee problems as a young man are one thing, as you get older, not so good. I hope when he comes back, he can go full speed. There are no guarantees here. Will I am hoping only great things for you and the Gators.

We have a lot of physically gifted players. Now is the time to prove they defend, rebound and score. The first month of the season will be on the court training. Even into December. A lot of ifs?

So statements like the quote up above are personal attacks on players that decided to be Gators, are pre-mature. This kid is growing into a better player so who knows what he might accomplish. I would hate to see another good player transfer and become a starter for Miami or FSU. This kid is only 19 so give him a little slack. If he can't make the Gators better, he will not get many minutes. This for a player is heartbreaking. This is like people berating Erv Walker. Erv is in the record books for the Gators and did more with what he was born with than probably any Gator I have seen in a long time. Devon is going to get his chance. I hope he breaks through and helps us to the final four and beyond. Get'm Devon!
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Last year, Devon Walker played an average of 4.1 minutes in 24 games., he hit 1 of 7 3-point attempts, had 17 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 turnovers, 2 steals and 4 blocks for the season.

I try to respect everyone's opinion, and Bullis usually has a good understanding of what is actually going on and it may well be true that Billy D only offered him this opportunity to play due to missing Wilbekin and having Careter still unprepared.

However, it never hurts to have depth, and especially depth that can rebound and shoot the 3-pointer. Injuries can occur at any time. If Walker and Graham can contribute meaningful minutes that will benefit the team. Although from a strictly personal perspective, he may have been better off redshirting because next year, the Gators are very likely going to really need him.

That is one of the many great things about Billy D, the fact that he left the decision strictly up to Walker and his family.

RAH COACH!
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Bullis or anyone else:

The quote above was Bullis's thoughts about Devon Walker at the beginning of the season. Now that we have seen the emergence of Walker, what do you think going forward? Will Devon start the rest of the season? Will he go to the bench and be part of the rotation? Will he sink back into obscurity? Will he be a starter or valuable reserve in future seasons? Does he have pro potential? Is it too soon to offer an educated guess as to any or all of the questions above?
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    When I saw Walker play in the first game this season, I didn't think much had changed from last season. In the last couple of games, my opinion of him has changed drastically. He's looking much better - and for me, it has very little to do with him hitting a couple of threes.

When we get to full strength (whatever that may be...will it include Carter?) I could see that he may still struggle to get minutes. But, if Donovan feels like he can contribute, I've got no problem with him not redshirting. He looks ready now! :yes:
  13. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    He'll slide out of the starting lineup and into the rotation. But he should see plenty of action.
  14. tampajack1

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I have to think that Carter will be redshirted. Billy's son might now have passed Eli in the rotation. Eli needs to get healthy, regain the strength in his leg and regain the confidence to use that leg.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    Your guess is as good as ours, Tampajack. I think much depends on what happens with the other moving parts right now (Wilbekin, Hill, Walker, Harris). I can't see a world in which Walker falls entirely out of the rotation. With all hands on deck, he could give you a good 10 minutes per game as either a big two or a quick three. But the longer those guys are out, the more entrenched he will get in the rotation. He is a very long perimeter defender, active in the front of the press, has the handle to run our ball screens effectively, and if he can just get some shots to drop, he can be a solid wing contributor for us. He sort of reminds me of a less skilled Brewer.
  16. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    One thing this early season has shown, we have length on the perimeter to guard anybody, If we come up against a team with. 6'5" guards we will be able to defend them and if we come up against the little guys we have Hill and Scottie, we will no longer be faced with big guards posting up our little guards, we now have the length to deal with guys like Lamb and Liggens who used to kill us in the past

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  17. tampajack1

Ratings Received:
    +269
    That should help us against Kentucky and their 6' 6" twin guards.
  18. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    I didn't want to mention the K word but this team seems built specifically to deal with the K word, length, athleticism and talent equal, teamwork, experience and coaching in favor of the good guys

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Thought the same thing about DW after the first couple of games; however, i have been pleasantly surprised. I think he definitely will remain in the rotation. I now think he will be a solid 4 yr player for the Gators. Billy's ability to develop players is unbelievable!
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    rserina, you may recall that Bullis originally said that Graham would be the best player out of this group of four freshmen.

He also didn't want Billy D to recruit D. Walker and considered it a mistake and a reach because others ween't available.

Most people find it hard to change their minds about things, and, apparently Bullis is one of those "most.".