No early voting on UF campus

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Busing has nothing to do with education. I couldn't figure out why you guys are trying to switch the subject from the state not allowing an early voting site on campus where so many voters would have access to it ... to claiming that it's all about busing. Then I realized that this is just the latest attempt on the right to claim some kind of fraud finger at the left.
    Some of it is obviously bogus. Sometimes, it's clearly mythical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/u...sely-for-voter-fraud.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And even if people are bused in, you don't want them voting ... why?
    But, again, what does that have to do with the UF polling place?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    He is NOT going to still be president in 2414, you gotta believe me on this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +574
    Has there ever been early voting on the UF campus?
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    I think this is bad strategy anyway. It motivates people to vote, and that's the last thing the opposition wants (well maybe second to last--voting itself being the worst--but again, I think it just results in a more robust opposition effort.)
  5. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    Not sure how much the State can do It seems to me the board of managers has control over who uses the bldg and the board is controlled by students

"
    The Reitz Union Board of Managers is one of two University-wide standing committees chaired by a student, with a voting student majority. This presidentially appointed committee is comprised of twelve student members and six faculty members. The appointment term for student members is one or two years, beginning in August of each year. Faculty members serve a three year term.

The Reitz Union Board of Managers oversees policies pertaining to facility usage and programming, develops long range plans for development and renovation of facilities, implements sustainability initiatives, reviews marketing and promotion functions, oversees financial policies, operating budgets, and facility use rates, and allocates student organization office, cubicle, and storage space.

Download the Board of Managers Operating Procedures Manual (PDF)

https://www.union.ufl.edu/AboutUs/BoardofManagers
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    BTW, "early" voting is a term that needs to go. Voting should be held over the course of at least a week, IMO. It's goofy to force the entire voting body of a 300M person country to jam voting into a part of one day (absentee and so forth notwithstanding). Especially these days. Campaigning is basically a constant, years-long process. Now I have to show up on a single Tuesday between 7 and 6, or whatever?

As a compromise (since I have sooooo much leverage in this) I'd say give us 12 hours, we'll give you 12 weeks. 12 weeks to run ads, slander your opponent, distort both your and your opponent's positions, etc. But if you get 52 weeks, we get 52 hours. You get 104 weeks, we get 104 hours. And so forth.

I either want more voting time, or less campaigning time. Tie them together and we'll get a little of each.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    I like it :)

Do you live in a swing state? It is pretty sucky to live in a swing state like VA, where I am at. Voting is okay, at least in my city. No long line shenanigans from election commissions making sure there aren't enough booths available for the number of people etc....But, we get the incessant phone calls (we counted one week and had over 40 phone calls from pollsters and the dnc and rnc etc...). And forget about attack ads 24/7, and were funny (well, only a tiny bit) when an Obama and Romney ad was played back to back.
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    Oh, one more thing. Who loses because of these short voting windows? The person who can't work out getting to the polls in the current window. Worried that people that don't work can vote more? Well they're open all day Tuesday. But that guy in the mine or at the lumberyard or (insert occupation here) is the one that often can't get there. Why not Saturday and Sunday? Again, the person who doesn't have a real challenging work schedule is available on Tuesday. But a lot more workers are open on the weekend.

I sincerely don't see a downside here.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    I'm temporarily in Vermont but my domicile is also VA, that's where I vote. And I feel your pain. In my past life it was often quite an effort to get to the poll. It was 6 AM to 6 PM, if I recall. But my assigned voting place was a good 20 minutes away. At one point I worked construction. Depending on the job that might be an hour or more away and we might still be starting at 7 in November. And we might work close to 6 PM, sometimes longer if you had to do some paperwork and such. Most of my coworkers didn't vote because we just couldn't work it out. And I live in a DEEP red part of the state. They'd be voting heavily one way.
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +733
    Just one example. I don't want a car with one ignorant voter being taken to the polls that would not go without being told who to vote for.

There is no need for early voting. In fact lines come off as a good thing imo...

It shows that people are willing to spend time to vote. I do not think polls should be shut down on voting day until the last person votes. I would be fine if they wanted them open from midnight to midnight and after 24 hours stop allowing people in line.
  11. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    you must feel fairly certain that once a potential voter is 'educated', then he'll no longer pose a threat to public well being by voting democrat.

i think it's been proven that people are 'willing to spend time to vote' in this country. the videos from ohio and florida showing 8 hr lines is proof of that. odd that those are swing states.

probably just a coincidence.
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,456
    I think there are far more important issues to fight a battle over

we have a general populace who does not vote- and we have a huge portion of our populace who cannot tell you who Joe Biden is- Civics is not really taught any more-people have no idea what our Constitution actually says or how it is supposed to work
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    Tim, Tim, Timmy. Is this what you're talking about?

14. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    It's easy to post videos of clueless people on both sides of the aisle. What does that mean?
  15. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    Or these people?

Scary isn't it.
  16. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    It means clueless people on the right side of the isle generally aren't being targeted for early voting. I supporting Tim that clueless people shouldn't vote. Of course it's their right and the Dem's have done a hell of a job in getting clueless people to the polls.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,320

Again, there are clueless people on both sides of the aisle. What does clueless have to do with early voting?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    Ol' Ben Franklin is nodding in his grave:

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic."
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569
    Exactly. It seems they are missing the point. Which is, why does early voting favor (D)s and whether this constant whining about it is actually exacerbating the problem? It makes no sense to me that the concept of early voting would favor one party over the other. In fact, on first glance, I would think it would favor the stereotypical vision of (R)s, most of whom are employed and would find it more convenient to do within their day-to-day business.

For the record, I voted for Romney and voted early. Was at the DMV taking care of some business, and they were doing it next door. So, rather than set apart that time later in the month, I knocked it out that day. Simple as that.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Why don't I want people that don't know about politics voting? I mean, it's kind of self-evident, does it really require an explanation why I wouldn't want that?

It relates to the UF polling place because typically when Republicans do anything having to do with voter ID laws, or something similar to what this article is about, we hear about how Republicans are trying to keep people for voting, and how much the Democrats care about people's voting rights. I was only pointing out that using that type of logic is silly because a lot of the people that benefit from not having a proper ID, or can't seem to a way to vote in time like the millions of others in this country who somehow manage to, are typically someone who is probably pretty uninformed in the first place. I wen't through this in previous posts, river.