No early voting on UF campus

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...-student-union-as-early-voting-center/2164465
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    I personally don't like early voting. Enhances the ability to bus people in with no clue.

That said.

I have never seen voting in municipal elections struggle with long lines...
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,466
    prezBO's campaign did just that 2012- they were smart and knew what areas they had to win to carry the swing states and had boots on the ground early and paid for busses and bussed people to vote and I am sure told them how they needed to vote- they won those areas and that gave them enough votes to win the State- pretty good plan- I hate it but pretty good plan
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Sicpup

Sicpup Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    If you don't believe that each of us have a right to vote then you really don't believe in America at all.

Toying with voting right should be something EVERYONE fights against.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,466
    Who is yrying to restrict anyone from voting
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    Then vote on voting day like the rest of us.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    Yep. Or absentee vote.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    Like it or not, we do have early voting. And it's obviously being increased because the lines for election day voting are so long. One study estimated that 200,000 Floridians didn't vote because of the long lines.
    So, if you're going to add more places to vote early in Gainesville, why not put one of those places where there is arguably the largest concentration of voters?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Do you know, with certainty, that the state didn't have a good reason for doing this?

I kind of feel like both sides suck in issues like this. Republicans may or may not be trying to prevent total idiots for voting for whomever's commercial they like the most, or who likes the same American Idol contestants as them - and Democrats are doing all they can to get every random Joe and Sally to vote regardless of how informed any of them are, with no intention of actually informing them at all either.

I don't think the reason people don't vote is because of convenience, it's just that most of them just don't care or don't know enough to be voting in the first place - and perhaps that's best for all of us. If Democrats really cared about voters having the ability to vote, they will more about educating the public on the candidates and politics in general, and the people will find a way to vote - instead, they have no interest in getting people genuinely interested in the state of our society, they just want votes.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,918
    I think all people getting food-stamps and welfare should wait in along a$$ line for that too.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,076
    This makes a lot of sense since college students are targeted for voter suppression under ALEC voter suppression laws passed in states such as FL.

A wave of voter suppression legislation is emerging from newly elected GOP governors and Republican legislators that would make it much more difficult for traditional Democratic constituencies to vote -- just in time for the 2012 election. About a dozen states are are actively considering legislation that would make voting much more difficult for college students, minorities, the elderly and the disabled. In some states, like Ohio, it is estimated that close to one million people would be affected by these changes.

An editorial in the New York Times linked this wave of voter suppression to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). On ALEC's website, there is a "Voter ID Act" link that is only accessible to members. But Campus Progress obtained a copy of the ALEC Voter ID Model Legislation that provides a roadmap to this coordinated assault on voter rights. Most of the bills being debated require a specific list of state-issued IDs to vote, like a birth certificate, or in Texas, a handgun license. Some end "same day" voter registration often used by students. In others, college student IDs are often not acceptable or other hurdles are created. College students were a key demographic in President Obama's successful 2008 campaign.

Many of the states seeking to enforce these new voter ID bills have newly-elected Republican governors and legislators, including Florida, Ohio, Maine and Wisconsin. This attack on the right to vote comes on top of attacks on public sector unions in these states that makes it harder for unions to bargain, collect union dues and organize political activities.

http://www.prwatch.org/news/2011/05/10711/voter-suppression-bills-sweep-country
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    It's the Democrats fault more people aren't educated? And what does that have to do with early voting locations?
  13. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Did I say that? Show me where I said that. Copy and paste where I said that, please. Otherwise - why even reply if you're only going to make assumptions and put words in my mouth? I said if Democrats really cared about the voters they claim to constantly be so all about - they'd be more interested in educating them as opposed to just bussing them to the polls despite the people having really no clue about what it is they're actually voting for. Don't pretend to really care about people when what you really care about is their uninformed votes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,662
    The right to vote, such as it is, is the right to be able to turn up on Election Day and git r done. Early voting is an invention of administrative convenience. I mean, when I was at UF, there was no early voting at all that I knew of -- the election wasn't invalidated as far as I know, though.
  15. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +1,076
    How do you know these people have no clue what they're voting for?

How do you know their votes are uninformed?

These people don't have transportation so churches and other charitable organizations provide transportation......out of that, how do you conclude these voters are uninformed?
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,338
    When you said this:
    Why did you focus on the Democrats as though they're the ones who aren't educating the voters?
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,204
    Wait until the dems do this to republican voting areas and see the arguments here flip.

Fact is, the places being targeted are strongholds of the party not making the rules, time and again. That should worry everyone in a democracy - the ability to vote is one of the few things we all hold sacred, when that is politicized we should all take notice.
  18. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    what does the rightwing have against early voting? obviously, after reading above posts, there seems to be a problem, for conservatives, wrt early voting.
    what reasons do you have for that, might i ask.
  19. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,466
    I am in favor of voter ID-but am also in favor of allowing everyone to vote ONCE- all you have to do is look at the voter turnout and you realize we have to do a better job of educating our voters and making it readily accessible- the only problem I see with early voting is the possibility that someone might be able to vote more than once-with computers today that should be an easy fix-
    • Like Like x 1
  20. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,689
    for everyone that said 'well we didn't have early voting back in my day..'

three words

'increase in population'