NM Supreme Court Rules Refusal to Photograph Gay Wedding Illegally Discriminates

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorBen, Aug 23, 2013.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    What about a non-religious event center open to the public for rent? Is that a public conveyance place? How about a restaurant that also does catering? Can they not refuse service in the store, but refuse to cater an event? And could an event center or caterer agree to do an event but allow their staff to refuse service because they disagree with the event? And couldn't that be de facto refusal? Sure we will host the event, but there will be no staff because all our employees disagree with the event premise and shouldn't be forced to attend.

That's why discrimination laws like the NM one target businesses, not individuals. The lawsuit isn't against John Doe per se, but John Doe Photography Studio. And the if the studio is a registered business in New Mexico, it is bound by state law, regardless if the studio consists of 1 person, or is a large conglomerate with dozens of employees.

Now again, I say trying the case in the court of public opinion is a better option. But the law is clear. New Mexico businesses that are open to the public cannot discriminate.
  2. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Like the Catholic Church being forced to provide contraception under ACA? There's so much in the U.S. that the left is working to tear down with regard to the freedoms our country was founded on.
  3. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,772
    Again, I would distinguish between public facilities and conveyances, and personal artistic services involving a single person. What if a caterer was asked to cater an event in a high crime area? Are they allowed to refuse that job?

Of course any business can discriminate if they choose. They just can't be honest about it.
  4. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,370
    2.9% of the population, 97.1% of the "look at me, no really, really, you must look at me, and if you won't, I will make you look at me" attention, thank you Hollywood.
  5. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    That's right, let the market decide. If a person wants to be an idiot, that's their right, imho, not the government's responsibility to force someone do to something that they don't want to do.
  6. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    No, they are looking to impose and enforce acceptance of their deviant behavior upon everyone else, which they will NOT succeed in doing.

I would shut my business down before I would allow them (or the government) to strongarm me to performance of an action that countenances homosexual deviancy in any way.

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY LAW SAYS, I WILL NOT countenance, accept or grant accommodation to homosexual perversion in any way whatsoever. They WILL NOT legislate and force their views upon me. Period.

Take that, fastsix and all the rest of you.