NLRB Rules that Northwestern Football Players Can Unionize...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by scamgtr, Mar 26, 2014.

1. scamgtr

scamgtr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
  2. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Impeccable timing to transition to a basketball school.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  3. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    There's no stopping this train now.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. scamgtr

scamgtr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    That is my perception of it as well...this is the beginning of the the end of the NCAA as we know it...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    Yup. Once they sink their teeth into college football there will be no turning back. Get ready.
  6. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +491
    The National Labor Relations board delivers a pro-labor decision? Shocking.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I can see so many programs dropping their college football programs as a result should this decision be upheld. And we know that football is the cash cow of the athletic departments, so as a result I would think that many college sports would be shelved. How that may impact with Title IX laws will be interesting to ferret out, but all in all I can see this being disastrous for college athletics altogether. The players may have just unionized themselves out of a scholarship and football program.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    The end of college athletics as we know them. This is a sad day for people like me. College will no longer be about what school you love because its going to be all about greedy paid athletes just like professional sports are. This is a real bummer.
  9. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I just got into a yelling match with a guy on the radio because they're all happy for the poor abused players. They don't understand that it's the end of things as they have been. I don't know how the NFL will adjust -- maybe a D-league, drafts out of high school like baseball ... I don't know. But if this is upheld, a lot of kids who might have been able to go to school won't be able to anymore. Maybe that will be good, to turn academic institutions back into academic institutions, but it will be the end of things as they have been.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    I think college football as we know it was going to be doomed by liability issues around head injuries. This unfortunately will likely accelerate the demise. On the flip side, if football players are employees, they could be fired for poor job performance.
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Kain Colter, the man who ruined college sports.
  12. lorigatormom

lorigatormom Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    They can't just pay male fb and bb players (even though those are the only sports that make $$), they will have to pay EVERY college athlete the same because of federal law, that means every single women's lacrosse player will be paid as much as fb player and it will suck for everyone and put college sports out of business.
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Huge decision. I love college football, but ultimately I can't blame the players demanding a cut of the billions the NCAA generates each year even if that means the end of relevant college basketball and football...which I think it will.

America is unique in that college sports is its main system for developing young athletes (aside from baseball where it's a mix between minor leagues and college). Look at Europe and how they develop their young basketball and soccer players...hint: it's not through college. The players do get better developed through minor league systems than they do in college and if education is the concern minor leagues can offer contracts that offer to pay for some or all of college like minor league baseball already does, so players that don't pan out can take advantage of it.

But football is unique because young players, aside from a once in a blue moon players like Adrian Peterson, cannot play in the NFL until at least a few years after high school because they need to get bigger, stronger, and more experienced. This is why a minor league football system would still generate a lot of interest because the future NFL stars will play in the minors unlike other minor leagues that no one cares about. The NFL has no interest in a minor league...this means that some other league for the college age players will still remain but it won't be through colleges and the players will get paid...or maybe the NFL will change it's mind and see the revenue the NCAA made and create a minor league system.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,506
    I would imagine that this gets overturned at some higher level.

You knew the lower ruling would be in favor of. This news is far from shocking. The question will be what happens if it is upheld. There will have to be a way to farm high school students to the NFL which has been provided by the NCAA. Students as employees will force schools to drop their programs and make the NFL and the NBA create minor leagues that won't be very profitable.

Ugh. Just make this story go away already.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. cpgator

cpgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Not sure what I think of this. I think it probably strips away the hypocritical veneer of what major college revenue sports have become. Scholarship athletes in these programs expend their labor in the context of a money-making enterprise. They receive compensation in the form of a grant in aid that covers tuition, room and board. With one year scholarships that compensation/employment is essentially at the will of the employer. If If a better athlete comes along the school can take away the compensation. However, if the athlete finds a better opportunity they must be 'released' by the old school or they cannot earn compensation for a full year. The NCAA's rules state that sports can't take up more than 20 hours/week of the athlete's time but programs routinely circumvent that rule with team activities that are unsupervised but absolutely monitored by the employer's management (sort of like unpaid overtime which gets you sued in the working world).

This definitely changes the face of the game. However, for big school revenue sports I think calling them employees is probably more honest than calling them student athletes.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    This is the end all right.
    The end of corrupt college athletics, including corrupt college athletes.
    College athletics is already suffering from its own hubris.
    Nobody takes the myth of the "student athlete" seriously except die hard fans.
    Now, the pressure will be on for the major programs, indeed all programs, to clean up their act or perish.
    There needs to be one governing body.
    Forget this self governing fraud.
    Their needs to be one set of standards.
    If you can't read but you are allowed to play for FSU, then the same standard should apply to Stanford.
    One set of standards for core requirements to stay in school.
    The NCAA, or another governing body, investigates all infractions or eligibility issues.
    A players committee responds on behalf of the athletes.
    The NCAA rules and the program abides.
    If a program is complicit or covers up it is fined, the player loses all eligibility at that school and the culpable coaches, etc. are fined, suspended or banned. That includes offering classes for athletes only, which to some extent still exists.
    No red shirting.
    No grey shirting.
    No over signing.
    Every player has five years of eligibility.
    Every player can transfer after his second year without penalty to another conference.
    There must be an eight team play off with the major conferences getting an automatic qualify.
    The money for the playoffs must be pooled to provide lifetime health insurance to the players.
    AND THE PLAYERS MUST BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE NFL DRAFT AFTER THEIR SECOND YEAR OR THE NFL LOSES ITS ANTI TRUST EXEMPTION AND NON PROFIT STATUS.
    If the NFL players union wants to object, let them, they will lose out if the colleges unionize.

The Bowdens, the Sabans, the sacred cows have seen their day.
    Change has been long overdue.
    Bring it on.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +423
    Not sure why some are blaming the players. The NCAA has long been strong-arming their way into more and more control and power. Both the NCAA and their member institutions have been exploiting "student-athletes" for years in this money making scheme.

With the Ed O'Bannon case and this, the writing's been on the wall for some time. The CLC and Electronic Arts settled out of court in this lawsuit and EA pulled the plug on the college football game moving forward.

A good documentary to watch is Schooled: The Price of College Sports
    Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Schooled: The Price of College Sports/70291153?trkid=438403

Good article on this subject:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/308643/
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    EA's game isn't the only thing thats going to be cancelled due to this. You like Tennis? Track? Swimming? Lacrosse? Forget it, schools that are not like UF, Texas, OSU etc won't be able to pay them just like they will be able to pay other athletes so those sports will be cancelled. This is a terrible decision if you like all college sports, like myself.

Who knows though, maybe everyone will have the same passion for intramural sports as they do for college run athletics (doubt it).
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. ironhead1

ironhead1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Ok, here we go.
    Now, players can't be cut from the team,,
    they're protected by the union.
    Performance?
    Ha!!!!!
    Bunch of damned slackers just going through the motions to get to the next level. Union demands each player gets equal time on the field so each player has an equal chance to get to the next level.
    Disgusting.

Fitting , these damned spoiled brats efforts were financed by the Steel workers union. Well isn't that exactly what unions are for?
    Get more unions paying dues to funnel to the disgusting dim crat party to promote more union activity for more "dues" to the dims?

At some point in history unions actually stood for workers rights........that ship sailed 30 years ago. They
    Are nothing more than a fundraising arm for the dim crats.

The first Union game the Gators play will be the last damned time I EVER spend a damn nickel on Gator athletics
    Again. Both of my daughters would have given anything to go to Florida. Bothe were 4,0 students but were passed by. Athletes get in on athletic ability. They are pissing away the goose that gave them a golden egg.

Those spoiled brats can kiss my ass
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    First inning of a LONG game.

I have posted several times that if college athletics truly wanted to get out of the hypocrisy game, they would have the baseball rule in place for basketball and they would adopt the idea that football is a 23-and-under semi-professional league that universities can use as goodwill ambassadors. And then the universities can determine how much good will they can afford. JMHO