Nine game conference schedule....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Sep 27, 2013.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +554
    for those wanting better OOC games, it could become a rarity for the conference.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...on-tide-cancel-michigan-state-spartans-series

Bama drops games against MIch. St.
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    I have stated my opinion on this before that I do think the SEC and the other major conferences will go to the 9 game conference schedule, and I tend to believe that the NCAA will eventually add a 13th regular season game.

I believe this would actually benefit UF, because currently the neutral site, in-state rivalry game (FSU) and need for 7 home games in BHG has kept us from scheduling another OOC road game.

The 13th game would give us the ability to add that road game and set up some decent OOC home-and-home series.
  3. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Some FCS programs may lose their major funding source ... Bit of a pity for them I guess ...
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    Foley isn't going to use a 13th game for an OOC home and home or neutral site game. He didn't do it with the 12th game with an 8 game conference schedule.

My preference would be to leave it at 12 games and go to 9 conference games. At least that extra conference game will be home and home and more of a challenge than Ohio teams not named tOSU, Sun Belt, and FCS.

There will be an 8 team playoff eventually, with some of the teams in the field having played a 13th game in a conference championship game. That means as many as 16 games for the teams in the championship game. 12 is enough regular season games.
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    We might as well go to 9 conference games since we are now playing in an expanded SEC....and I suspect it will become a 16 team league soon. 9 games is not a bad thing since it still leaves 3 OOC games that we can work out. We also need to stop scheduling patsy opponents and go back to some great home/home challenges like we had in the past. I still remember Wilbur Marshall running down the famous USC Trojan sweep.... from behind!
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    You want us to play nine league games, FSU, and another good non-conference opponent? Why don't we just bring in some NFL teams for fun, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +433
    You miss the critical point. The requirement for 7 home games in BHG is what's kept it from happening. That revenue from 7 games was part of the financing plan for the stadium expansion projects.

With the UGA game in Jax and playing FSU, we can't schedule 7 home games unless they're ALL at home.

With a 13 game/9 SEC games schedule, we'd have 4 SEC games in BHG, 4 SEC games on the road, UGA in Jax, and 4 OOC games - 3 of which would be played in BHG to get to 7.

That would allow us to play 1 OOC road game EVERY year, which we can't do now. That would mean travel to FSU every other year with an OOC road game the years we play FSU in BHG. Then we'd have the flexibility to schedule home-and-home series with more significant national teams.

I have already stated my opinion that it's unlikely UF is going to schedule schools like Ohio State, Texas or Notre Dame. I think we'll probably focus on respectable mid-level opponents from the other major conference. Think more along the lines of Georgia Tech and Purdue.

But I do think the 13-game regular season and 9 game SEC schedule will help UF have a better OOC slate. UGA will benefit as well.
  8. UFNut

UFNut Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    You miss the critical point, Foley won't do it...he'll use it to gain more money to distribute throughout the athletic program. All of a sudden 8 home games will become the requirement....
  9. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,267
    But with a playoff, it makes a loss more bearable.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  10. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343
    A 9 game SEC slate will put us at a major scheduling crossroads if the NCAA doesn't add a 13th regular season game and Foley intends to keep the 7 home game standard. Either FSU has to go or UGA has to be played on a home-and-home basis.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    And it will also mean more injuries and more game plans to employ, which in turn increases the chance for an additional loss or two that would keep us out of Atlanta and by extension the playoff.
  12. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Yes he will. If it wasn't for the recent stadium expansion project he probably already would have.

UGA hasn't done anything major to it's stadium in a long time and they will give up the 7th home game every other year to play another OOC road or neutral site game. We will do the same. We actually did it this year to play at Miami.

Bama and LSU won't give up the 7 home games because they have also done major projects. In fact LSU plays 8 at home every other season.
  13. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    not an nfl team, just a good OOC game--no more jacksonville states, georgia southerns, etc. -- dump all these creampuffs and play real teams.
  14. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    Then I say get the UGA game out of Jacksonville and quit using it as an excuse to water down the product. Hanging half a hundred on the leghumpers between their sacred hedges was SWEET!
  15. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    A 9 game SEC schedule will and should happen asap, hopefully next season. For UF that means one of the 3 annual home cupcake games will instead be an SEC game and every other year it will be on the road. If the NCAA does go to 13 games (big if) most major programs including UF will just schedule another cupcake at home. They want/need the $$ of a another home game to fund the rising athletic dept budgets.
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    Take a look at our 14 schedule on Gatorzone. UK was moved up 2 weeks, UT was moved back for 2 weeks to the first weekend in October, and bama was added in the game 4 slot. My guess is UF and bama are getting ready to rumble on an annual basis. Take the 14 schedule and put a rotating SEC West team in week two and UF is ready for the 9 game conference schedule. We get UK before bama and UT before LSU. If UT gets back on their feet, we will have a heckuva SEC schedule.
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    It may come that UGA will have to be moved to home and home IF UF doesn't make enough as a home game playing in Jax.
  18. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,176
    If we play 9 league games, hopefully they'll go to that 4/3/4/3 quadrant system that will also work with 16 teams as 4/4/4/4. The SEC's geographical footprint is so big now, we'll do enough traveling just playing aTm, Mizzou, and Arky on the road, all west of the Mississippi River. If they added a 13th game, I'd be more interested in getting Miami back on the schedule every year than looking for other home-and-home OOC opponents. The bowl game gives you a good OOC game, and if you want a really great OOC matchup, make the playoff and you could end up with two of them. Make that three if/when they expand it to 8 teams, which they will because a selection committee picking just four teams is going to be too outrageously controversial year in and year out to last.
  19. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,267
    But that scenario applies to every major program.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  20. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +433
    That WON'T ever happen! We might be able to lose one cream puff, but that's it.

Here's the reason. Every major school in the country wants to play AT LEAST half their games at their home stadium. LSU plays as many as 8 of 12 at home. Plus there are schools like UF that have neutral site games, which makes it harder. The NCAA and conferences want to have games in the bigger stadiums. It just makes sense economically and for the college football brand.

But do the math, if you have 62 BCS conference teams that all want 6-7 home games and about 60 more FBS teams that want at least 6, they MUST expand the pool of schools to include FCS. There aren't enough teams otherwise.

The only way UF could lose all the cupcake games is to play 5 games in BHG per season. That won't ever happen.