Next Year's Recruits

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by BobbyGator72, May 24, 2014.

1. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    1/3 of the way through the draft?
  2. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    #1 signing class is University of NoogotoClass. Makes sense now.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
  4. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +75
    Casey Turgeon to the Cardinals. Last pick of the 24th round.

Whitson went earlier to the Red Sox in the 11th round.
  5. G8tr

G8tr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    I would think that's good news for getting Turgeon back, though it all depends on how much St. Louis offers him. I would think Whitson could certainly improve his stock. It will be interesting to see what he does.
  6. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Whitson is gone. He even celebrated his senior day earlier this year.
  7. gatortom33

gatortom33 Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Well here is the list of who was drafted and where..hopefully no more than 3 signees sign a mlb contract..

Florida finished with six current players and 10 signees taken in the 2014 MLB Draft. Below are each of the current players taken and the signees drafted.

Current Players -- Round/Pick

Taylor Gushue - 4, 131 - Pittsburgh
    Justin Shafer - 8, 234 - Toronto
    Karsten Whitson - 11, 344 - Boston
    Casey Turgeon - 24, 735 - St. Louis
    Ryan Harris - 26, 794 - Boston
    Keenan Kish - 34, 1,025 - Cincinnati

Signees

Grant Holmes - 1, 22 - Los Angeles Dodgers
    Alex Abbott - 6, 179 - Los Angeles Angels
    Weston Davis - 11, 334 - Washington
    J.J. Schwarz - 17, 506 - Milwaukee
    Michael Rivera - 33, 1,002 - Oakland
    Logan Browning - 36, 1,085 - Cincinnati
    Dalton Guthrie - 40, 1,190 - Minnesota
    Taylor Lewis - 40, 1,193 - Colorado
    Taylor Lane - 40, 1,196 - Milwaukee
    Alex Faedo - 40, 1,210 - Detroit
    • Informative Informative x 3
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,423
    I can see the top 3 recruits sign pro contracts as well.
  9. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +75
  10. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Turgeon is a little surprising. I would have thought there was upside there.
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,219
    So are we even going to have a class this year? lol

The deadline ought to be at least a month before they sign an LOI with their respective college program, so that way a recuit cannot sign an LOI and then leave a program hanging if he decides to go pro. That way, a program can go ahead and fill theiur spots with players they know, for the most part, will be there.

MLB should not even be able to draft a player then for at least two years if they sign an LOI with a college. As soon as their signature is on that dotted line, it's hands-off for MLB for at least 2 years unless the player transfers or is dismissed.

Look at fsu, who lost seven of their twelve man class this year. This happened to us just a few years back too, when we lost a considerable number of extremely highly ranked kids out of our recruiting class to the MLB that may have eventually propelled us to a NC. Now we'll never know, as is the case with many schools.

I get tired of the way the pro's come in, especially in basketball and baseball and raid the college ranks the way they do. In basketball, I've watched them literally rape some programs of potential NC teams the next year.

The NCAA needs to stand up to the pro's and tell them back and hand-off to some extent.
  12. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +96
    Your argument seems to be timing oriented. Frankly, the key concern in my opinion is the players and not the schools. I personally think College Baseball is the most fair system out there. If you want to make a living, you are allowed (I think the NBA and NFL rules should be illegal). If you choose college (3 year school), you have to stay for 3 years. If you want a hybrid (JUCO), you can be drafted every year.

I can see the argument for shifting the signing date but you aren't going to get the MLB to change the draft. It matches the end of college and high school. So you have to change signing day and pushing signing day to the middle of the summer makes it VERY tough on the freshman to get things straightened out in time.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +75
    You want the deadline to sign with MLB teams to be in October, 8 months before the draft happens?
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    Yeah, that's impossible. The only alternative is to have guys that sign a LOI not be draft eligible...but then nobody will sign an LOI cause they want to protect their draft status.
    I agree with GT that the policy of 3 years is one of the best. Also remember that baseball has a minor league so guys can progress thru the ranks, unlike other pro sports
  15. DoubleDown11

Ratings Received:
    +75
    It's certainly a flawed process, but I think the idea that college coaches are blindsided by the draft is overblown. It's just like any other recruitment process. They have a pretty good idea of who is coming to school and who isn't. Occasionally you'll miss one, but for the most part the only time that changes is when a guy blows up during his senior year and gets drafted much higher than was initially being projected. It's not like the Gators coaching staff had Grant Holmes written in ink for opening night next year, then were watching the draft and went "oh crap, the Dodgers picked him in the 1st round! What do we do now?!" They talk to the kids and their families and scouts constantly. They know what's up.
  16. Angaza

Angaza Member

Ratings Received:
    +78
    I think that's a bit of selfishness on the fans part. The pros don't take students by force and the system for baseball is the most equitable.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,219

I admit that I was sort of convoluted in my previous post, but I was more frustrated and lashing out at the MLB more than anything. LOL Myself, I pretty much detest professional sports for the most part. Used to love 'em, but the egos, money, and showboaters turned me off to pro sports a couple of decades ago.

(The NBA might have actually made a "little bit" of a come-back with me this year after about a decade and a half of almost zero defense, as the San Antonio Spurs seem to know what the concept of defense is this year. They whipped a pretty good Heat team in back-to-back games in Miami and I hope they win it all tonight. Sick of all these bandwagon LeBron/Heat fans).

The draft should either be earlier or the signing period later than the draft, which is probably the most realistic solution. That way a college team can't be left hanging by a bunch of kids who commit, sign, and then bolt for the pro's to leave a college program hanging. The pro's don't give a hoot what they do to a potential NC college team when they go raiding the college ranks, so the NCAA should take some sort of steps to protect themselves better.
  18. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    I guess you could move up the draft, but it won't happen. They want the high school season done, and most of the college season wrapped up.
    Remember, schools can still sign/bring in players after the draft. But as has been pointed out, the school usually knows well in advance on most of these guys. FSU has known for 3 years that Nick Gordon would go pro....not sure why they even bother to sign guys like that. And for every guy that blows up and becomes a high pick, you may get a guy that drops and comes to school.
  19. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    Alex Abbott prep OF out of GA, signed with the Angels Angels to above-slot $375k bonus. Slot at No. 179 overall was $244,700
  20. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Member

Ratings Received:
    +34