Next Year's Kentucky Team

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, why are the rankings of UK's opponents in the tournament important, but UK's lack of any ranking whatsoever is not important? Just wondering.
  2. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    He has certainly changed his model from the first season or two where he was promising players they would only be at UK for one season. I think he needed to have that kind of buzz around the program initially but it isn't needed any more.
  3. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,461
    First, I didn't say Cal was convincing anyone to stay. I said I have not heard this year that he is actively encouraging anyone to leave. (I would not recommend doing either for any coach.)

I don't look up draft projections myself, but I have heard others mention of some UK players as potential lottery picks, including Randle (haven't heard that Cal is threatening to rip up his scholarship for next season :cool:), Cauley-Stein, 1 or both of the Harrisons (I'm still not sure which is which), not sure about Young. I know the draft is getting deeper & deeper so maybe Randle is the only one.
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    I thought Randle already said he was NBA bound. He should go if he's a lottery pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    Speaking of banner's where are the banner's at Umass and Memphis now? :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    Cal: "you'll be a millionaire in a year"
    Parents: "sounds good to us"
    Parents: "what about an education"?
    Cal: "overrated"

True story.
  7. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    :rolleyes:
  8. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +600
    You act as if this is a bad thing...........education can be done at a later time if they are interested.

Jeff
  9. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    If a kid enrolls in college, presumably he's interested in getting an education. At least that's the way it's supposed to be.

But, I get your point. Emmitt Smith left UF after 3 years, but came back to get his degree. It's probably less likely, though, that someone who has 3 years left would come back.
  10. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Wouldn't it be interesting if the entire Kentucky Roster decided to return for next year. Then there would be about 10 5 star PF/C types vying for minutes.
  11. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Better 3 of last 4 years? SEC regular season champs 3 out of 4, and I'd agree that's a good measure. But, you really think Florida was better in 2011? UK barely lost the first matchup in Florida (missed game winner) and then won convincingly the following two times. Then UK knocked off two very good teams (OSU - the overall number 1 seed - and UNC) on the way to the final four where they lost to the national champs by 1 point). UF's trip through the tourney didn't compare favorably IMO. Would definitely say UK was better that year.

Also, consider that UK has 3 final fours in those four years, compared to UF's 1. UK also went 6-5 against UF during that time, has a title-runnerup and a national championship also that UF doesn't have either of.

Saying UF was "better" 3 of the last 4 years has an argument to be made for it, but I'm not sure anyone would pick Florida's last 4 years over Kentucky's - and that, IMO, is probably the most telling aspect of this comparison.
  12. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    This just in, rival fans have differing views about the historical quality of their respective teams, NEWS AT 11.
  13. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Cal insists he doesn't tell anyone what to do. In his press conference today, he mentioned that he never even talked to WCS about coming back and that no one on the staff thought he would. Said he passes on info from NBA people to players' families.

Fact of the matter is that we can either believe him about this or choose not to. Not that it isn't possible he's lying, but he'd be quite the hypocrite if what you might be insinuating was actually the case.
  14. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    One player has to leave to end up at 13 scholarships. As fun a problem (from a fan perspective) as this would be to have, I don't hold my breath thinking about it.

Jeff Goodman announced Randle was leaving for the NBA. Randle said he hadn't decided yet, but my guess is Goodman's info was good. Young and possible Johnson are certainly possible in addition to the twins as well.
  15. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Yet Florida won its first four games by double digits, whereas Kentucky required deep, off-balanced threes to win two of their games. Sure, they were against better teams (if you go by seeding), but it wasn't like you guys ran your first five opponents off the court. Weren't all your wins by single digits? And three of them by a single shot?[/quote]

I believe, by seeds (for what thats worth), Florida's run to the title game was one of the, if not the, easiest paths ever and UK's was one of the hardest. Certainly somewhat deserved given their respective seasons, but don't try and argue the degree of difficulty was similar. Four straight wins over top 10 teams vs. double digit wins against teams - the best of which were UCLA? I also believe UK played UConn closer, but not sure and may not have been by much.

Really remarkable comparison considering the hundreds of posts you've made about how crucial/absolutely necessary experience is. UK did this without their best big man. No question UF had the better year overall, but better tourney run? Not close.
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,461
    http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/6/25...-of-jared-sullinger-or-why-players-trust-john

The linked story above talks about Cal revoking Dejuan Wagner's scholarship so that he couldn't come back to school - effectively taking the decision away from him. Yes, Cal was probably looking out for the kid's best interests as he saw them, but I don't agree with the article's overall slant. But, it certainly appears that Cal would have revoked Noah's scholarship after his sophomore season - and the 04's 2nd NC probably would have never happened - if Cal had been coaching that team. There was some risk to those players coming back for their junior seasons, but I think all those players are very happy (and enriched in a different way than $) they made the decision they did.

Without re-reading it, I think that's the article that talks about Cal "encouraging" players to leave when he thinks they're ready, although that's not a quote from Cal.

http://www.sportsillustrated.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195407/index.htm

More about the "NBA draft machine" that UK is under Cal. On the 2nd page, Izzo comments about being happy to take a 1-and-done player, but that he doesn't want a whole team of them. That's the point UK fans seem to miss. Yes, the other schools will recruit some of the same players, but I believe most coaches & fans want some balance to the program.

UK fans believe we're kidding ourselves, and that: (a) we're just jealous and (b) that we (coach & school) don't have the capability of recruiting so many 1-and-done players (part (b) in itself is probably true). As I've mentioned before, most posters on here agreed we didn't want too many 1-and-done type players and we were glad Billy was apparently turning away from recruiting so many BEFORE Cal was hired by UK.
  17. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597

Touche on the Wagner story. I hadn't heard that before. If indeed that isn't metaphoric in nature or something, its a good example of what you're suggesting.

My comments are based on what he's said recently and how he's seemed to be at UK. It sounds as if this is different from the Wagner example. He's made a big deal out of making players convince him of what they would get out of staying. Two recent examples he gave were Patterson and WCS. Could be he's doing things differently, or could just be he's saying he does things differently.
  18. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +600
    So proud of James.....I wish him the best!! It was a very good decision.

Jeff
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    Calipari is an a**hole.